Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Breaking customer promises

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Too many lawyer up comments! Lawyering up for something like this seems completely ludicrous in my mind. Then again, the North is somewhat less litigious than our southern neighbour.

Also, it’s pretty black and white. OP was offered something. There was no expiration, mentioned. For people to say it’s a matter of interpretation, I whole heartedly disagree. It’s not. That’s just your frontal cortex amusing yourself. Why Tesla does not just honor it, retain a customer and move on I have no idea. They see how much he drives, it’s literally a no brainer. Or at least compromise, like maybe take away supercharging on the old car, and give him it on the new car?

As a shareholder it’s disappointing that seemingly easy, customer retention decisions are not being made. Also disappointing that they still use tactics like showing price after estimated gas savings etc, making promises then changing them without notice, etc.

If Tesla wants to be different, then be different. If you are going to lead the charge into the future, and want to make it brighter, it must be known integrity is not just a catalyst, but an essential precursor to your success.

I remember when the web site was simple and direct. The price was the price and detailed specs were a link away. Then at some point it seemed they hired someone from another car company to do their site and the games began.
I recently went through the Model S configurator and I think it's ridiculous now. And try to find the specs, it took me a few minutes.

Having another car company take over is definitely not the answer.

Reactions: neroden and Ocelot
Why Tesla does not just honor it, retain a customer and move on I have no idea. They see how much he drives, it’s literally a no brainer. Or at least compromise, like maybe take away supercharging on the old car, and give him it on the new car?
Because they have a (potentially large) accounting liability that they have to carry for every one of those lifetime SC cars. They probably age it out at some point but if the xfer it to the new car it resets the clock. The more liabilities sitting out there the worse the books look and the harder it is to roll over their debt. I just went through this process (upgrading my 2012 MS) and was only offered 6 months (but I knew I missed the deadline in October). I'm watching the thread as if they do offer the OP lifetime then I'm going to complain too.

• Informative
Reactions: Ocelot
...known integrity...

What mentioned several times in this thread is "principle."

We need to go back to the principle:

1) Read:

a) Former U.S. secretary Rex Tillerson recently mentioned that there's someone who "doesn't like to read."

Should we encourage that kind of refusal to read behavior?

Reading is important because it not only affects your pocket (as in this case) but also your life too (as in the misuse of Autopilot.)

b) The website clearly says Tesla can change its prices at any time and without notice.

c) Tesla inserted the expiration date later and the owner did not work that latest insertion and was still relying on the obsolete offer that did not have an expiration date.

2) You snooze, you lose:

When Tesla offers something, they want owners to grab it as soon as possible and not waiting.

In 2012, I was offered an extended warranty for $2,400 which had no expiration date at all and I took it. Others told me to wait and they missed the boat as the price drastically jumped all the way up to almost double.

Some pre-delivery options are cheaper than post-delivery activations...

In Tesla, owner's failure to read and procrastination is not a virtue.

Personally,

1) I don't like to read because I want to become U.S. president.

2) I don't like be timely because I want the perks of showing up late in a party and still get all the benefits of good seats, and the host birthday's cake is still waiting there for me uncut, and all the food and drinks untouched by a hungry crowd waiting for me.

But Tesla doesn't care what I like, it sticks to its principle!

Last edited:
So do you guys also think they should honor the $4,000 to upgrade to FSD, if and when they achieve it? Even if it’s years from now?
Honestly, no I don't think they should. They offered the opportunity to upgrade. If people did it, good for them. I have been saying this for a while. When true full self driving finally becomes a reality I don't think there is any way Tesla won't charge at least $10,000 for the feature. They could charge 20K and people would still line up for it because at that point it no longer is a convenience feature. At that point it is a money making (ride sharing) money saving (no need for multiple vehicles in a family) independence ensuring (blind, disabled and elderly) mode of transportation that nobody else can offer. We'll see how it all plays out.

Dan

So do you guys also think they should honor the $4,000 to upgrade to FSD, if and when they achieve it? Even if it’s years from now?
In my opinion, if someone had that as their post-delivery price when they purchased their car, Tesla should honor it. You can argue whether that is an implied contract or not, but at the minimum, if Tesla wants to change that price in the future, they should at least inform those grandfathered buyers and give them a chance to exercise it at that price before they raise it.

In my opinion, if someone had that as their post-delivery price when they purchased their car, Tesla should honor it. You can argue whether that is an implied contract or not, but at the minimum, if Tesla wants to change that price in the future, they should at least inform those grandfathered buyers and give them a chance to exercise it at that price before they raise it.
While I can see your point, it could also be argued that the $4000 price to upgrade was never said to be forever. At least I don't think it was ever worded that way. I look at it like you can buy a Carolla today with the understanding that you can upgrade to a top of the line Avalon for XXX dollars. That price is good today but it's no guarantee it won't go up in the future.

Dan

While I can see your point, it could also be argued that the $4000 price to upgrade was never said to be forever.
Dan
Sure, you could make that argument, but the fact that Tesla just added a "After delivery prices are subject to change" disclaimer to the new post-delivery price for EAP seems to indicate that the original wording had no time limit and could be taken to mean for the life of the car. In any event, their only exposure is for the life of the grandfathered cars, and only to folks that haven't purchased FSD. They've covered themselves on the new purchasers with the disclaimer. So, in my opinion, they should just honor it for those grandfathered owners, for the life of their cars.

Reactions: neroden
Sure, you could make that argument, but the fact that Tesla just added a "After delivery prices are subject to change" disclaimer to the new post-delivery price for EAP seems to indicate that the original wording had no time limit and could be taken to mean for the life of the car. In any event, their only exposure is for the life of the grandfathered cars, and only to folks that haven't purchased FSD. They've covered themselves on the new purchasers with the disclaimer. So, in my opinion, they should just honor it for those grandfathered owners, for the life of their cars.
...or they could just be clarifying what they thought potentially could be a confusing wording...which obviously it was. I guess my point is that when it comes to legal obligations and contracts and what is binding and what isn't, it is best to never assume anything. They very well may end up grandfathering in those that purchased a vehicle under the previous wording, but they by no means are required to.

Dan

I guess my point is that when it comes to legal obligations and contracts and what is binding and what isn't, it is best to never assume anything
Dan
Totally agree, but that's when you expect good companies to err on the side of their customers and not shaft them over ambiguous wording or timing...

In this situation, I don't think Tesla is trying to shaft their customers, but it's more that they don't have a process to let grandfathered buyers get those old promises or prices. I think if processes were in place that allowed an order advisor to give free supercharging on discretion, we may not be having this discussion. Same thing for being able to buy EAP for $6000 instead of $7000. Their system just didn't account for it, and the advisors had no way of making it happen...

• Love
Reactions: neroden
The way I read the quotation from the OP's account, it was a statement of fact, true at that time, because Tesla offered free supercharging on all the cars they sold at that time, namely Models S and X. I do not read it as a promise to that specific individual as something that would apply to all future purchases for all time. I can, however, see how the OP could have gotten the impression it was a promise to him rather than a statement of fact for that moment.
I also agree that the changes in Tesla's terms were widely reported when they were changed and have been well-understood since they changed.
I hope the OP continues to support Tesla and to enjoy his cars. And I hope Tesla is more careful about language that can be misconstrued when making statements about future events....

Reactions: MP3Mike
Unfortunately I have a very disappointing experience about a broken Tesla promise I feel I should share.
I cannot believe I am saying this, as I was always such a HUGE fan of Tesla, and have convinced several friends to buy a Tesla as well, but with this attitude the company lost my trust and just completely dropped me as a customer!

When I bought my first Tesla in 2016, I would get unlimited supercharging if I ever decided to purchase a new car.
That was displayed in writing in my Tesla account. I have a screenshot, but cannot attach that here.
Sorry, but you're incorrect. No one ever promised super charging for new cars. It's only on the car you had. That's why you can't find it anywhere.

It's just like a parking lot displaying a sign with "Free Parking."

Then, the next day the sign changes to "Free Parking with validation."

Then, the next, it changes to "Free Parking with any purchase."

Then, the next, it changes to "Free Parking with any paid Entree."

Then, the next, it changes to "No Free Parking..."

Companies have the right to change its terms.

While the current term is in effect, you need to be fast and seal in those terms.

If I have been a patron going to that restaurant for a long time, it would be nice if it would notify me of the change each time but they are not obligated to.
Yes, exactly my thoughts.

If I see a house for sale, they don't put a limitation on the price. That's what it is being offered for - but they can raise or lower the price or change the terms of the sale anytime.

What they can't do is sell it to me and then change the terms before the deal is concluded. So in the OP's case, if she had purchased her new S or X while that statement was on her account, then it would be reasonable to expect it. But they changed terms, like any company can. The changed terms were right there on the account in the same place. Purchasing something now is under the new terms, not old terms.

It was nice of the store manager to refund her deposit.

I can't believe all the gaslighting and teslasplaining in this thread. The terms OP posted are clear as day. Yes, every company includes a "get out of jail" clause but the ones that exercise it are the ones sending the message they don't respect their customers, or no longer value the ones who took the larger risks in a much younger company to help them become a success. Just because 'tesla' is written on the website or the building doesn't change that.

That is not even close nor in the same league, compared to a note in my account that states if I ever buy ANY new car the free supercharging carries over -which was there for like 2 years- Would you expect that a customer after 6 months being the owner of a new car says: "great, let me use that "promise" before it expires, trade in my current car and get myself a new car, as my old one is already 6 months old." ;)

Ah, could have figured with our alias you'd be a pilot :) True this is still the best EV available right now.

Thanks for the supportive comments.
As other also mentioned, I may have been naive. Had it been any other car company I would have been very guarded when I would get a promise like that verbally and in my account, but I didn't realize I couldn't trust Telsa either. At the same time, would there be anyone when getting this promise, and seeing this note in their account, who would decide a week after getting the car, gee, let me buy a 2nd Tesla quickly, before they change their promise. Tesla was for me more than just a car brand, and I expected a little more honesty and customer loyalty. I guess that is my main disappointment. Lesson learned, I do know now.

I didn't interpret the language to mean that you as a purchaser having bought one of their cars and getting free supercharging on it to be rewarded in perpetuity with free supercharging for any and all future Model S or Xs that you buy way down the road. What I took it to mean was that while the offer was in your account (like the loot boxes or announced promos) you could buy a second car now with that perk. Why you wondered would you want to trade in your 6 month old car then, the fact is that many families bought more than one Tesla and some probably did buy a second car under that promo and got the unlimited free supercharging on that new vehicle. I can see why you would want to interpret it the way you did though. I do remember the offer conditions having changed since we've owned our 2017 MS, and remember when Tesla made the change to it as it was discussed here on the forum back then.

Sorry that this has soured you to buying your new car and Tesla in general.

Last edited: