Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Breaking news: Free 2021 Supercharging for 3s and Ys!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My only wait at a supercharger was one where 20 or so chargers were all filled with locals -- I asked them! So I and another traveler got to wait for 5 to 10 minutes. Honestly, charging at home is so, so, so much easier than sitting 20-30 minutes while filling your car while you take a forced break (or insist that your wife do it between vacuuming the floor and doing the washing). Really, Tesla ought to insist that home charging is available before selling a car, or fill out a dispensation for the very few who can't get an outlet close to where they park.

The problem will only get bigger.

I wonder what the usage numbers actually are. Perhaps this program costs Tesla significantly less than people think, and it leads to increased paid use after the promotion period.

I suspect that many buyers assign this a mental value significantly higher than the real-life benefit. One neighbor with a Model 3 didn't manage to use their 1000 Supercharger miles before they expired, and probably won't use up the 1000 referral miles either. Another with lifetime charging has only rarely taken advantage of it.

Reactions: bhzmark
I wonder what the usage numbers actually are. Perhaps this program costs Tesla significantly less than people think, and it leads to increased paid use after the promotion period.

I suspect that many buyers assign this a mental value significantly higher than the real-life benefit. One neighbor with a Model 3 didn't manage to use their 1000 Supercharger miles before they expired, and probably won't use up the 1000 referral miles either. Another with lifetime charging has only rarely taken advantage of it.

Absolutely, people get a little more excited than they should if you break down the numbers. Obviously it is relative based on driving but Supercharging to full does not cost much anyways; not like a gas tank.

Reactions: bhzmark

Agreed. Once we installed an at-home Wall Charger, I have only used a Supercharger a few times in years.

Totally agree with this. It’s no different than free maintenance on any ice car. There’s very little cost to manufacturer. As far as “mental value” sure. It’s much higher. But when you have plans for several, multi-thousand mile road trips coming up, the value is high. To me. To each his own.

I would text your SA. That’s how I confirmed. Good luck!
What skid said. I picked mine on 12/12 too and saw the free 1yr thing on a youtube post afterward and emailed my sales guy and he said that yup, i'm qualified, just wait a few weeks, hopefully early in Jan and should reflect in my telsa acct. I also have the 1k free miles for referral, not sure how that's going to change, if any. They might cancel the 1k mile and give me the 1 year free, which is preferred, obviously.

Is there supposed to be something that shows up on my account? What should I look for? Tesla delivered my car on 12/31/20 at my home. I went to a supercharger 3 days later on 1/3 and added about 35 kWh without any problem. I have since used SC 4 times. I've never been charged.

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
Is there supposed to be something that shows up on my account? What should I look for? Tesla delivered my car on 12/31/20 at my home. I went to a supercharger 3 days later on 1/3 and added about 35 kWh without any problem. I have since used SC 4 times. I've never been charged.

I suspect our 1 year free supercharging started on 1/1, but they haven't updated everyone's account yet to reflect that.

I picked up my MY on 12/28, supercharged on 12/29 and it shows up in my account history with a $0.00 charge due to referral miles. This was also reflected in my loot box free miles remaining. I next supercharged on 1/1 and have done so several more times since at 4 different superchargers and none of them show up in my account history and my loot box miles have not changed.