Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brexit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Time sure is telling. It's going swimmingly well while our counterparts across the channel are drowning in a wave of angry sentiment.

Mmmmm.......... speaking as someone who pays the bills in my/our UK manufacturing and exporting company I can be absolutely sure that the only place Brexit is going swimmingly is in some dark orifice. I am reluctant to talk too publicly about our private business, but I can be absolutely categoric that Brexit is bad news in every way, shape, or form.

Try this little lot for some sense of balance (not something that is likely to trouble you, but which may assist others):

Brexit: the Digby Jones Jobs Lost Index is launched – Yorkshire Bylines
Brexit Job Losses
Brexit Job Loss Index: 436,296 Jobs Lost As Of 31 January 2020
The Digby Jones Index – Yorkshire Bylines
Brexit 'Benefit' Myths – Yorkshire Bylines
The Davis Downside Dossier – Yorkshire Bylines
The Reckoning: Brexit and the Legacy of Lies – Byline Times
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...rexit-u-k-firms-are-being-slowly-ground-down?
https://chrisgreybrexitblog.blogspot.com/

People voted to win back the right to control our borders - not limit immigration, merely the right to maintain borders. This fact has been twisted by many to suggest that voters were xenophobic morons - which I don't believe to be the case.

Many were xenophobic morons though, about 30% of the population of most western countries actually are, give or take 5% or so.

This fact has held true for centuries. It was also the reason for Hitler, the current strongman winning in Brazil, and as our US friends know only too well, the recently departed President.

Its one of the reasons western democracies are so fragile, you only ever need to temporarily get an extra 20% or even less of the voting population on side, usually at times of social unhappiness to get a tyrant in power, the 30% are always up for it.

So turns out that Brexit was not as bad as feared by some - including me. However, not a walk in the park either...

Anyway, we have bigger fish to fry now following Megxit. Thread on the "Republic of Britain" may be warranted. "Republic of England and Wales" doesn't quite sound right - fortunately the SNP have shot themselves in the Sporran.

So turns out that Brexit was not as bad as feared by some - including me. However, not a walk in the park either...

Anyway, we have bigger fish to fry now following Megxit. Thread on the "Republic of Britain" may be warranted. "Republic of England and Wales" doesn't quite sound right - fortunately the SNP have shot themselves in the Sporran.

Brexit is proving every bit as bad as feared:

- Trade down : UK-Germany trade slumps amid Brexit and Covid fallout
- Formal infringement proceedings imminent : Brexit: EU poised to take legal action against UK over Northern Ireland
- WTO obligations being disregarded : Food scarcity fears prompt plan to ease post-Brexit checks on EU imports
- Propaganda campaign failing : Brexit unhinged
- Irish reunification progress : Is the tide turning on Irish reunification?
- EU parliament ratification postponed : Press corner
- Paramilitary threats in evidence in NI : Loyalist paramilitary groups withdraw support for Good Friday Agreement
- etc etc etc

Reactions: JupiterMan
Brexit is proving every bit as bad as feared:

- Trade down : UK-Germany trade slumps amid Brexit and Covid fallout
- Formal infringement proceedings imminent : Brexit: EU poised to take legal action against UK over Northern Ireland
- WTO obligations being disregarded : Food scarcity fears prompt plan to ease post-Brexit checks on EU imports
- Propaganda campaign failing : Brexit unhinged
- Irish reunification progress : Is the tide turning on Irish reunification?
- EU parliament ratification postponed : Press corner
- Paramilitary threats in evidence in NI : Loyalist paramilitary groups withdraw support for Good Friday Agreement
- etc etc etc
I hear you but jeez - how do you sleep at night? It could have been a lot worse - supermarket shelves are mostly full for instance. Admittedly it still could get a lot worse if the EU carry out their threats but there will be some upside eventually.

I think the public are in agreement with me. The Scots certainly are:
Voters snub SNP plans for another referendum

Always looking on the bright side of life.

Reactions: adiggs
I hear you but jeez - how do you sleep at night? It could have been a lot worse - supermarket shelves are mostly full for instance. Admittedly it still could get a lot worse if the EU carry out their threats but there will be some upside eventually.

I think the public are in agreement with me. The Scots certainly are:
Voters snub SNP plans for another referendum

Always looking on the bright side of life.

I guess you've not been into a NI supermarket recently then ?

Which could easily become the whole UK

Or gone to Scotland very much ?

With the current rioting in Northern Ireland related to Brexit it is always worth reading Chris Grey's weekly blog

and this speech by Barnier is also worth reading
(the transcript can be downloaded at the bottom)

Reactions: Andy O
"On Thursday the White House expressed its concern, with Joe Biden calling for calm after what police described as the worst violence in Belfast for years.

Writing in today’s Observer, Jonathan Powell, who was the chief British negotiator in Northern Ireland from 1997 to 2007, says Johnson lied about the effects of his Brexit deal and says the current return to violence requires statesmanship rather than gamesmanship. “All this requires the British government to start paying attention to Northern Ireland rather than cynically using it,” he writes. “The worst problems in Ireland have always happened when Britain ignores it. And it means no more using it as a battering ram in a new post-Brexit conflict with the EU.

“Most of all, it means coming clean with the people of Northern Ireland about where they stand. The government can no longer claim clean hands if it fails to take these steps and the result of its political approach is the unravelling of peace in Northern Ireland.”"

Then there is a full piece from Jonathan Powell himself at

"Third, the UK needs a new approach to the EU over the protocol. Instead of taking unilateral – and illegal – steps to delay implementing it while poking the EU in the eye, the government should try to work with it to make the protocol function in a light-touch way. Some in the commission fear Johnson’s intention is to demonstrate the protocol cannot work and force the EU to impose a border in the Celtic Sea between Ireland and the continent, effectively taking Ireland out of the single market. "

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Andy O
1618651519855.png

• Funny
Reactions: mars_or_bust
Brexit disruption forces German exporters to think again
Costs and red tape push EU companies to seek other markets or relocate production
($FT) Subscribe to read | Financial Times

"“A catastrophe” is how Henrik Follmann describes Brexit’s impact on his family’s chemicals company. Based in northern Germany, it recently scrapped plans to expand its UK factory because of Britain’s departure from the EU.

Follmann Chemie had planned to invest about £2.5m in making more adhesives at the plant it bought three years ago in Andover, southern England, to boost exports to EU clients. But its chief executive said this plan was wrecked by the extra difficulties of shipping goods both ways across the English Channel: “Brexit has been a nightmare, building up costs and time.”

“We were going to build extra production and storage to supply customers on the continent, but we delayed it and have now taken a strategic decision to cancel this and to expand in the EU instead,” said Follmann, the third generation of his family to run the company.

Follmann has had a tougher Brexit than many companies. But its experience of increased costs and delays to shipments between the UK and the EU is typical of many businesses grappling with the extra bureaucracy and pitfalls created by the new customs checks."

Imports and exports UK <> EU both continue to slide
as the FT puts it,
"The UK’s Office for National Statistics on Wednesday said British exports to the EU in the first three months of this year fell 18.1 per cent from the previous quarter, while imports from the EU were down 21.7 per cent. In contrast, UK trade with non-EU countries grew slightly in the same period.

There have been signs of a partial recovery from the initial post-Brexit disruption, as UK trade with the EU increased in March, albeit at a slower pace than with other countries. But for the first time since comparable records began in 1997, the UK imported more in March from outside the EU than within it, underlining how British trade has shifted away from the bloc. "

Brexit disruption forces German exporters to think again
Costs and red tape push EU companies to seek other markets or relocate production
($FT) Subscribe to read | Financial Times

"“A catastrophe” is how Henrik Follmann describes Brexit’s impact on his family’s chemicals company. Based in northern Germany, it recently scrapped plans to expand its UK factory because of Britain’s departure from the EU.

Follmann Chemie had planned to invest about £2.5m in making more adhesives at the plant it bought three years ago in Andover, southern England, to boost exports to EU clients. But its chief executive said this plan was wrecked by the extra difficulties of shipping goods both ways across the English Channel: “Brexit has been a nightmare, building up costs and time.”

“We were going to build extra production and storage to supply customers on the continent, but we delayed it and have now taken a strategic decision to cancel this and to expand in the EU instead,” said Follmann, the third generation of his family to run the company.

Follmann has had a tougher Brexit than many companies. But its experience of increased costs and delays to shipments between the UK and the EU is typical of many businesses grappling with the extra bureaucracy and pitfalls created by the new customs checks."

Imports and exports UK <> EU both continue to slide
as the FT puts it,
"The UK’s Office for National Statistics on Wednesday said British exports to the EU in the first three months of this year fell 18.1 per cent from the previous quarter, while imports from the EU were down 21.7 per cent. In contrast, UK trade with non-EU countries grew slightly in the same period.

There have been signs of a partial recovery from the initial post-Brexit disruption, as UK trade with the EU increased in March, albeit at a slower pace than with other countries. But for the first time since comparable records began in 1997, the UK imported more in March from outside the EU than within it, underlining how British trade has shifted away from the bloc. "
I made it rose tinted for you. Have another look. It can't be all bad.

Even if it is really all bad (which I am pretty sure it isn't) - what do you hope to achieve? Are you hoping to turn people's politics on TMC?