Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brexit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Australia's $90B Nuclear Submarine deal with France will be scrapped.
Indeed. SSNs are by far better for the Australian naval problems than SSKs. It was always a tough call to get SSN-performance out of even the very large SSK's that were the detuned version of the SSN design the French had won on. But until now there was not the political will to go down the SSN pathway. Let's see if any get built, and maybe perhaps whether any 'loaner' arrangements are put in place to accelerate matters.

My prediction is that this will provide added oomph in European Union defence discussions, Von der Leyen: EU must acquire ‘political will’ to build own military . I also expect that China (and Russia) will try splitting the EU off.

Email from BSI today who are clearly stuck up a dark orifice,
===============
Dear Member,

The CEN and CENELEC General Assemblies, at the meeting on 25 November, voted overwhelmingly to support BSI’s continued membership of CEN and CENELEC.

This decision follows the adoption of new statutes in June, which created a new type of full member for countries that find themselves in the UK’s position of exiting the EU, and then the successful audit in August of BSI’s compliance with the rules of the new member type.

Under the new membership category, BSI retains all of its rights to run committees, to participate and to adopt ENs. Whereas there will be some changes to how BSI is represented in the governing bodies of CEN and CENELEC, our seat on the Technical Boards continues unchanged.

This decision provides certainty and continuity for our UK stakeholders. It is fully in line with the UK/EU Trade and Cooperation Agreement, and supports the UK Designated Standards System which specifically refers to the role of European standards.

In practical terms, this means that the rights of BSI experts to contribute to European technical work continues as does the right of BSI to propose new work items, apply to hold secretariats and to nominate committee chairs.

We would like to extend our thanks to you all for your consistent support for our continued membership of CEN and CENELEC over the five years since the referendum on the UK’s membership of the EU in June 2016. We believe that the decision of the CEN and CENELEC General Assemblies will enable us to deliver on your priorities to retain influence over the development of European standards for the benefit of UK economy and society more broadly.

===============
If anyone seriously thinks UK via BSI has any significant influence over ENs post-Brexit they are delusional.

Reactions: JupiterMan
"The Food and Drink Federation (FDF) said the sector’s exports declined by £2.7bn between January and September compared with pre-pandemic levels, a drop it blamed largely on a 24% decrease in sales to EU countries."

Food, drink, and agriculture squeezed between declining sales to EU and allowing ever-greater inflows at cheaper prices from Australia etc. And the silly people voted to have this done to them.

Brexit minister’s shock resignation leaves Boris Johnson reeling

Dear Boris,
I have led our EU exit process for the two and half years since you became Prime Minister. In those years we have restored the UK's freedom and independence as a country and begun the process of building a new relationship with the EU. That will be a long-term task. That is why we agreed earlier this month that I would move on in January and hand over the baton to others to manage our future relationship with the EU. It is disappointing that this plan has become public this evening and in the circumstances I think it is right for me to write to step down with immediate effect.
It has been a huge honour and privilege to work with you over the last five years, first in the Foreign Office and then in No.10. You have been an outstanding leader at a moment of grave constitutional crisis for this country. Many said that it would be impossible to deliver what we did: an end to political turbulence by implementing the referendum result, a stunning election victory, an exit from the EU which gave us full freedom about our future choices as a country, and finally putting in place the world's broadest and indeed only zero-tariff free trade deal. You and I have always shared the same approach on Brexit and I do not think we would have achieved so much without that close common understanding of our aims.
Brexit is now secure. The challenge for the Government now is to deliver on the opportunities it gives us. You know my concerns about the current direction of travel. I hope we will move as fast as possible to where we need to get to: a lightly regulated, low-tax, entrepreneurial economy, at the cutting edge of modern science and economic change. Three hundred years of history show that countries which take that route grow and prosper, and I am confident we will too.
We also need to learn to live with Covid and I know that is your instinct too. You took a brave decision in July, against considerable opposition, to open up the country again. Sadly it did not prove to be irreversible, as I wished, and believe you did too. I hope we can get back on track soon and not be tempted by the kind of coercive measures we have seen elsewhere.
Together we have put this country onto a new path. I am confident that under your leadership this newly free Britain can succeed and prosper hugely. I wish you and the Government every success in that.
David

When Brexit is the means whereby a serial liar enters #10, there is a direct link from Brexit to this,

1641997721792.png

Reactions: JupiterMan
This may interest some in the post-Brexit TCN landscape

Court of Justice of the European Union PRESS RELEASE No 10/22 Luxembourg, 20 January 2022

A third-country national does not lose his or her long-term resident status if his or her presence in the territory of the European Union is limited, during a period of 12 consecutive months, to only a few days Once that status is acquired, it is not necessary for the person concerned to have his or her habitual residence or centre of interests in the European Union