Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brexit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The thought has occurred to me that if Britain ever wants back into the EU, switching to right side driving would be a sign of commitment. Offered by the UK, or required by the EU.

Also, what is the Republic of Ireland waiting for? This looks like a good time for them to switch, with increased trade directly to the continent and also a nice chance to say eff you to Brits for messing up the Northern Ireland situation. Keep your wrong side cars for yourselves.

Reactions: petit_bateau
As in, Truss will deepen Brexit?...

Do you agree that Brexin (did I just invent that?) will mean taking up the Euro?
Assuming for the moment that the UK both remains intact, and that it could should sufficient cohesion of consensual purpose towards a Rejoin event that the EU would be persuaded to open accession talks, and assuming that the UK sufficiently met the other accession criteria ....

..... then I personally am unsure whether the EU would be inclined to offer the UK any of the a la carte special opt-outs and dispensations that the UK previously enjoyed as a member. The mood music amongst the commission folk I talk with suggests that the senior EU country politicians' moods have mostly hardened agin. I appreciate that is a 'once-removed' report of a report but it is all I personally have to go on (I get to talk to senior secretariat occasionally, but not to senior pols). On the flip-side the general EU citizen-level mood has not hardened agin UK to the same extent, likely because general citizens have less reason to encounter the difficulties the UK is causing. Also on the flip-side there are realpolitik reasons why the EU might be willing to grant some opt-outs. So really I don't know. But I do know that it is not just the matter of the (path towards) euro-adoption that would be a negotiating trigger-word. There are other trigger words that would similarly get a lot of little-Englanders going frothy mouthed, swivel-eyed, and rotating in their graves : think "immigration"; "identity cards"; "free movement"; "European Army"; and all of these would be deployed by the post-truth Brexit media owned by the Murdochs, Barclays, et al.

My personal opinion at the moment is that UK is more likely to break up prior to a series of Rejoin events. Scotland wants out of Englander control. NI would follow. The economic and defence/security path ahead looks bleak. Many years of pain lie ahead I think, albeit of the continued slow puncture sort, punctuated by crisis lurches downwards.

Reactions: JupiterMan
  • Funny
Reactions: EVNow
In Liz we Truss. The world is not ready for her and in just a few weeks will be wishing they never got rid of Boris. Better the rogue centrist you know than the right winger that doesn't know herself.

Wouldn't surprise me if she triggered article 14 on her first day...

In Liz we Truss. The world is not ready for her and in just a few weeks will be wishing they never got rid of Boris. Better the rogue centrist you know than the right winger that doesn't know herself.

Wouldn't surprise me if she triggered article 14 on her first day...
Who cares how fast the Brexiters crash & burn when this is typical of the effect they are having :

Reactions: JupiterMan
Who cares how fast the Brexiters crash & burn when this is typical of the effect they are having :

You aren't worried that Truss will divide us from EU further? I think that makes it harder to re-enter. Not that I think that will happen either way.

Not even sure Truss will crash. Brexit will be irrelevant. I would give her equal odds on winning the general election in '24 (assuming she quickly learns to own disown her calamities Bozza style). Starmer would lose against a fridge full of cold beer for sure.

Of course they didn’t…the eu will be hoping that Truss is like May…someone they can chew up and spit out, someone they can sit next to in Number 10 and insult to her face in front of the tv cameras.
Not sure they will be that lucky with Truss (she has probably read The Art of Deal...). Anyway, Prime Ministers are expendable. Keep handing out sweet ingredients to every PM that walks through No 10 and we will get to have our cake and eat it.