Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bricked a loaner 75D...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I work in IT, so I know technology can be fickle.

After a lovely evening driving the car around town and a couple of test drives for friends, I parked the car in my garage and put it on my L2 charger, nice and slow at 11 mph. I didn't mess with the % full, but it needed about 80+ miles to full, I have solar so I didn't mind charging it up as I was still on the fence about putting in a 14/50 plug.

Twice before going to bed I poked my head into the garage with the FOB in my pocket and it woke, I could see the ETA for charging being complete. Flash forward to the morning, I checked the house electricity usage and see the car finished around 5:40 AM.

I walked up to the car and nothing. Didn't respond to any FOB key presses. I thought the car only has 2500 miles on it but who knows maybe there have been a REAL high number of key presses. I get it open and it uses the same battery as my garage door opener, I have a spare one. I swap it out and still nothing. Hmm. Ok, text both the Tesla contacts, it's their work phone, but I had to try and then left voice messages.

After few minutes, I remembered I should have excellent service backing 'my' car, so while I didn't have access via my smart phone, I can look up the Tesla service number. I called from my cell phone and the nice lady immediately said my phone number didn't bring up a VIN, after explaining the situation she checked a few things and then tried to open the car, nothing. She consulted somebody and then wanted to do some sort of a security reset and then needed to wait 15 minutes to try unlocking again. No such luck. She got off the line to again consult an engineer. I got a hold of a Domain gallery advisor (no sales in Texas) and he brought up the car on his phone and could flash the lights... but not unlock or anything else. He gets the second FOB and starts to drive to my house. They could confirm the car had a full charge.

He get to my house and no response from the second FOB either. In the weirdest idea, has has me help shake the car as a method to possibly wake it up, no help.

I leave and remote close the garage door. About 3 hours later I get a call the Ranger is at my house. I open the garage and he calls back about 30 minutes later as he cannot get into the car, needing to get something at a local auto parts store. It seems he couldn't get the frunk to open using the releases. He gets back and the tow truck arrives, they pick it up onto the flat bed and off it goes.

I was told later there was an issue with the 12 volt system that crashed the 'security module' and the car ignores outside signals to open until they reset it.

I'm sure the car will be repaired and given a most thorough inspection, but here's the car before being towed out of the garage and it's VIN.

IMG_2352.JPG IMG_2354.JPG

Any who, going to try another one in a couple of days. I hope to not brick this one. It still a little disconcerting the car had to be towed out of my garage. I trust they'll use the car to determine the nasty bug and fix it fro everyone.