Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bridge toll transponders

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I cross the bridge with my FasTrak, I generally use the lanes towards the right where everyone stops and pays cash. The reason is that the transponder doesn't seem to work well through the window. Sometimes it does, and perhaps it depends on the camera at the particular lane, but even when at a dead stop it doesn't always work. I've resorted to sticking my hand out the side window or opening up the sunroof, but during the rainy season I'd be hesitant to do that.

A ways back I had my windshield replaced and spent some time looking at windshields with service. It is of course the film in the windshield that is blocking the RF transmissions. Under the correct lighting, I found overcast seemed better, you can look at the windshield off angle and see a color change where the film is. Once you see it, it's quite clear where the film is, and isn't. I'll take a look tonight and see if I have any pictures to show this well.

Peter

Updated with pictures:

FullSizeRender.jpg
FullSizeRender(1).jpg

Last edited:
Some promising development -- I finally got the transponder to read from through my windshield -- 2 out of 8 times :p I placed it on the driver side of the rear view mirror, upside down, right up against the headliner... Will play some more next time I'm on the toll road...

- - - Updated - - -

@bluetinc,

That's the old windshield. New ones (with autopilot hardware) are different and we have not found a solution for these newer cars yet.

@bluetinc
Very enlightening. Thanks for the photos.
A different situation for me. I took delivery of my MS on 9/30/14, so have all the driver assist stuff. I put my FasTrak on the inside windshield at the top to the right of the mirror/camera. It beeps fine when I cross the Golden Gate Bridge. But does not get read at all when I cross the Richmond/San Rafael bridge. Go figure. CalTrans will take a picture of my license plate and put the toll on my FasTrak bill, so I am not concerned.
I am talking to the guys at the SC tomorrow. I'll ask them about the behind the nosecone options.

I picked up my car the same day as you (at the factory) on 9/30. I've found from crossing the San Mateo bridge over the last couple of months that some toll lanes are better than others. In virtually all cases, I'd have to either slow down to a crawl or stop completely to get my transponder read. Some lanes don't read at all and I have to open the sunroof or stick the FasTrak out the driver's side window. Perhaps the camera calibrations have enough variance in their positioning, etc. which influence the reliability of the read.

Okay, So the FasTrak transponder works on the Golden Gate bridge. I pulled it off the velcro and reattached it at the highest point on the windshield to the right of the rearview mirror. Just moving it up a little bit, now the Richmond/San Rafael bridge will read it. Apparently the increased part of the transponder in the "black dot" area of the windshield leads to better readability.

Since I don't mount my front license plate, the external toll tag is not an option. I did run the "inside the nosecone" idea by the SC. They said they have the same readability problems with that as they do with the windshield mount.

Okay, So the FasTrak transponder works on the Golden Gate bridge. I pulled it off the velcro and reattached it at the highest point on the windshield to the right of the rearview mirror. Just moving it up a little bit, now the Richmond/San Rafael bridge will read it. Apparently the increased part of the transponder in the "black dot" area of the windshield leads to better readability.

Since I don't mount my front license plate, the external toll tag is not an option. I did run the "inside the nosecone" idea by the SC. They said they have the same readability problems with that as they do with the windshield mount.

Not sure where the SC got their data, but the CA FasTrak black rectangular external license plate transponder mounted onto the front face of the black bumper under the nosecone has worked flawlessly for me for over a year on all SF Bay Area bridges (GG, SFOBB, RSR). The only downside is that you cannot take it down if you are in a situation where you would get a free pass (no toll), and once the Sf Bay Area goes to the switchable transponders like used in SoCA, I will be forced to switch to 'plan B'.

@JPP
Good thought there. The new MSs with the Autopilot equipment have the front radar mounted right there in the middle of the grill just below the nosecone. I know for me, yet another excuse to not have a front license plate!
The SC was talking about the Interior transponder mounted inside the nosecone. I am sure the exterior mount works great, as it does for you.

@JPP
Good thought there. The new MSs with the Autopilot equipment have the front radar mounted right there in the middle of the grill just below the nosecone. I know for me, yet another excuse to not have a front license plate!
The SC was talking about the Interior transponder mounted inside the nosecone. I am sure the exterior mount works great, as it does for you.
I was thinking about mounting the interior transponder in the nose cone but was afraid of rainwater seeping in and damaging the transponder. So far I havent ordered the front plate mounted transponder yet and I'm just relying on the cameras to read my plates.

I was thinking about mounting the interior transponder in the nose cone but was afraid of rainwater seeping in and damaging the transponder. So far I havent ordered the front plate mounted transponder yet and I'm just relying on the cameras to read my plates.

I personally would not try using the interior transponder under the nosecone. It does get damp. And FasTrak will send out a 2nd external license plate one for free. I keep the old white internal one in my glove box in case I need to use it with a loaner car.

I personally would not try using the interior transponder under the nosecone. It does get damp. And FasTrak will send out a 2nd external license plate one for free. I keep the old white internal one in my glove box in case I need to use it with a loaner car.
They allow you to keep it? Sweet!
I looked into my 'method' and an excessive number of "pay by plate" will put an additional $2 charge per transaction. I better call Fastrak ASAP!

Hello all. This is my first post here along with an attempt at a photo, so my apologies if it doesn't work. I took delivery of my Model S in December 2014, so I have the autopilot hardware and most recent windshield. After much trial and error, my current mounting position for my fastrak transponder has worked 50 out of 50 times on the 110 in Los Angeles. I mounted it so that the bottom of the transponder is turned up on the dotted area of the windshield at the top. It would appear as if the radio frequency is emitted from the bottom where the switch for the number of passengers at. I hope it works for other LA owners as well.
imagejpeg