Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bridgestone Blizzak 255/60R19 for model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I could use significantly more ground clearance and this tire increases it from 6.6" to 8.3". But when I stick my hand between the stock tire and the suspension, it seems that the tire will hit. Does anyone know for sure?

An alternative is the 235/65R19 with the same ground clearance improvement. It might be narrow enough clear the front suspension. 235 is wide enough for me as I've outgrown my boy racer phase.

On a Porsche many years ago I used 12mm spacers and longer lug bolts to handle wider tires and wheels but those 911/912 models had a huge amount of room in the fenders to handle racing tires. The spacers were even an exact fit for the wheels and mounted to the wheel with special screws. However it looks to me as if a spacer would then cause a problem with the fenders.

BTW I've run several sets of Michelin X-ice tires on Mercedes and Toyota and consider them to be excellent on ice and snow here in Colorado. I've also used the Blizzak and it seems to be equivalent. I run them all year round.

I could use significantly more ground clearance and this tire increases it from 6.6" to 8.3". But when I stick my hand between the stock tire and the suspension, it seems that the tire will hit. Does anyone know for sure?

An alternative is the 235/65R19 with the same ground clearance improvement. It might be narrow enough clear the front suspension. 235 is wide enough for me as I've outgrown my boy racer phase.

On a Porsche many years ago I used 12mm spacers and longer lug bolts to handle wider tires and wheels but those 911/912 models had a huge amount of room in the fenders to handle racing tires. The spacers were even an exact fit for the wheels and mounted to the wheel with special screws. However it looks to me as if a spacer would then cause a problem with the fenders.

BTW I've run several sets of Michelin X-ice tires on Mercedes and Toyota and consider them to be excellent on ice and snow here in Colorado. I've also used the Blizzak and it seems to be equivalent. I run them all year round.
I like how you are thinking. I'm also looking for more sidewall and was considering 255/50/R19 in a different tire, but I'd love to hear if a 255/60 would fit. I ran Blizzaks year round on my X5 and loved them.

You might check this out. Won't work for me since combining the lift with the larger tires would make it difficult for my wife to climb into the car. Still I might just look into the lift kit later.

However something not mentioned in articles regarding lift kits is that they only partially increase clearance. Without a tire change, the components that are closest to the ground are not lifted. Usually not a problem as they are closest to the wheels and therefore not usually going to be hit by rocks. But for driving over ruts that go the width of the road, a lift kit doesn't increase clearance. So the real advantage of this lift kit would be IF it allowed for taller tires. That's why serious off-roaders use lift kits to enable larger tires.

Vendor - MPP 1.75″ Model Y Suspension Lift Kit

Thanks, my error. This thread does confirm that taller tires are not possible on the AWD-Y without some extensive modification. The wheel offset would have to be increased which then causes problems with the fenders. The lift kit could mitigate that (perhaps) but now so many changes have been made to the suspension geometry and it becomes questionable as to whether it should be pursued. Putting the 235s on a 2" narrower wheel might work, pulling the tire away from the steering knuckle, again with a possible need to increase the offset.

With significant care, I took our previous Mercedes 300D 4-door sedan into some rather rough 4-drive areas. I think that is the best solution for now, sticking with the stock size Michelin X-Ice X-i3.

Many thanks to all on this and the other 2 threads.

Is the consensus that anything larger than the overall wheel diameter w/ the stock Inductions (28") will not fit AWD Model Y's?

I posted in another snow tire thread that I was considering just putting snows on my stock Inductions. But after finding out that going with the stock aspect ratio of 40 would be twice as expensive as keeping everything the same but moving up to a tire with a 45 aspect ratio (total wheel diameter goes up to 29") I am wondering if it would even work?