Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bridgestone Potenza tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve run my OEM 19 inch Goodyears down to 4/32 after only 14,000 miles of driving and need some new tires before the winter. I don’t live anywhere where winter tires are entirely necessary, so I’m looking for good all-seasons. I’ve read through a bunch of threads singing praises for the MXM4’s and Cinturatos. Does anyone have any experience with the Bridgestone Potenza RE980AS tires on their Model S? Thoughts or recommendations?

Verdict: DO NOT get Potenzas. They caused my efficiency to drop 25% independent of any other factors. Luckily Costco will let me exchange them for a different tire.

Wish I had seen this post before, I just purchased Potenza RE980AS tires based on recommendation from my local firestone store. I left for a road trip the next day and was hit with a 33-40% range reduction. The tires feel great and drive well but the range drop is too extreme. Good news is Firestone says they have a 30-day guarantee so going to try to return them after the holiday.

Drlev, what tire did you end up going with?

I have had these for about a month, even with the cold temps I can achieve the ~240 watt hours / mile figure if I watch my right foot. They are very sticky even in cooler temps, and I will gladly lose a few miles if that means the car corners better, which is really the weakest area for the (stock) performance model. If they perform well in snow I'll be super satisfied, assuming they won't run out of tread in 20K miles.

Wish I had seen this post before, I just purchased Potenza RE980AS tires based on recommendation from my local firestone store. I left for a road trip the next day and was hit with a 33-40% range reduction. The tires feel great and drive well but the range drop is too extreme. Good news is Firestone says they have a 30-day guarantee so going to try to return them after the holiday.

Drlev, what tire did you end up going with?

Ended up with MXM4s and very satisfied with them.

The RE980AS are a ultra high performance all season tire. They even have siping like a dedicated winter tire. They are not designed to be economical. No surprise you lose range with them. The MXM4s are a grand touring tire that happen to get the all season nod. The MXM4s like the Goodyear Eagle Touring are also OE tires on the Tesla.

It's all trade offs with tires. That's why there are so many choices.

Wish I had seen this post before, I just purchased Potenza RE980AS tires based on recommendation from my local firestone store. I left for a road trip the next day and was hit with a 33-40% range reduction. The tires feel great and drive well but the range drop is too extreme.

Is this for real?

I could see 25% range reduction, but 40%?

Are you sure you are not comparing city driving to highway driving ?

Another question:

How do people deal with the 'we don't give a mile warranty on our OEM tires' policy of tesla, is there a way to approach the manufacturer of the tire directly and prove that you did your tire rotations to spec and ask for the prorated tire replacements?

I have a Tesla Model 3 RWD from 2018 that already burned through its second set of tires. I am considering not going to the service center but to costco instead in order to be able to ride out the 50,000 mile warranty instead of just buying a new set flat out every 12k miles.

Obviously I am a lover of the spirited driving and cornering but I did not take it to a race track or do anything else that would void the warranty.

I don't need the 310 mile range of my Model 3, if it was 25% less, I would not mind at all. But 40% may be a different story.

I recently installed Potenza RE980AS tires on my 18 inch wheels, and my energy usage over the last 3 days using them on my normal commute has been 265 Wh/mi. Compare that to 253 Wh/mi for the car’s lifetime on the original MXM4s. Hard to account for all variables but it doesn’t seem like the efficiency hit is too big for me.

for you i would say look at the conti contact LS..If you never get snow or very rare. I though in PA. you would get snow?? again i think the nokian g4 is a super tire so far and snowflake rated.

look for LRR tires and XL(XTRA LOAD)

Just an update I've found the RE980AS to be absolutely terrible in the snow. I've also found that they make my M3 snap oversteer problems worse as they give absolutely no warning before they break loose in dry conditions. They also wear very fast in the rear (maybe it's my lead foot). I will definitely not buy them again.

Japan made Potenza S-04 summer tires, third set since 2015, I swear by them, sticky and wearing out 2 seasons max with spirited driving.
They are simply amazing, just stick to pavement. Xxxx range, I love driving, superchargers are now every 50mi.