Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bridgestone Tires - trouble with negative camber?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone have experience with these tires on the Model S?

Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Position

Overall the reviews indicate the tire is excellent except I found this:

The Audi dealer regional rep and both tire companies that were authorized Bridgestone dealers indicated that they would not have recommended these tires for the Audi or any other negative-camber aligned car (principally VW and Audi).

...since the model S has negative camber in the rear, this had me worrying.

no tire can be recommended from manufacturer with negative camber aligned cars. They will all wear unevenly due to the setup. What you can do is get non-assmetrical tires so you can swap the directions and balance the wear.

Your energy usage will go up with the Bridgestone RE970's. Look at the TireRack test data on that tire. It may cost you as much as 5% over the stock Goodyear tires. You now have an option of the Michelin Pilot A/S3. There is a brand new comparison test on Tirerack indicating that this tire is really good also. It is several percent more efficient than the RE970. I have about 1200 miles on a set and they perform incredibly well. I am showing about a 1%- 2% range loss so far, although the weather got hot at about the same time as I got the new tires.

Interesting negative camber comments... I put Bridgestones on my Roadster on Monday and had them replaced today with Mitchelins as I was finding the car impossible to control properly. It just wouldn't go in a straight line. It would rock one side and then the other... rocking to the left made it turn to the right and vice-versa.

The sidewall of the Bridgestones is very stiff... may have something to do with it, but either way, I cannot recommend them for the Roadster. The model S has 2k kms on the clock so no new tyres yet :)

Interesting negative camber comments... I put Bridgestones on my Roadster on Monday and had them replaced today with Mitchelins as I was finding the car impossible to control properly. It just wouldn't go in a straight line. It would rock one side and then the other... rocking to the left made it turn to the right and vice-versa.

I wonder if the loaded radius is lower on the Bridgestones? Reducing the loaded radius (distance between the center of the hub and the ground) reduces the trailing distance of caster* and can cause that kind of behaviour.

* Although caster is measured and set as an angle, the angle doesn't really mean a whole lot. What caster really is, is the distance from a vertical line through the center of the hub (at ground level) to the spot where a line drawn through the ball joints intersects with the ground. Because the distance is measured along the ground, loaded radius has a lot to do with caster's trailing distance. Too little caster makes the car unstable, too much causes the wheels to shimmy back and forth (like a bad shopping cart's wheel).