Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger Ovens (VIC)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
exempt from council involvement
True, But all the other ones such as Keith, Euroa, Cooma; Tesla went to the council's spruiking that if they give up some land the local businesses will get some sales out of the owners that visit there.
It makes a lot more sense that Tesla get the land for free than paying for it.
and
I would love to see it just off of Ireland St in Bright. Close to the pub, Ovens River, IGA, and all the unique shops there.

There are 2 good spots in Bright, halfway up Ireland Street next to the public toilets, although there's not a lot of space, or at the top of Ireland Street, there's a public car park opposite the roundabout.
Alternatively, off Railway Ave (that comes off the same roundabout) there's a large car park attached to the community hall. All of these are within 200m of each other anyway. It'll really depend on the power availability

Just noticed Tesla have updated the Supercharger map and bumped back a couple of target dates in Vic, Melbourne now for Spring, Traralgon now target opening 2019. Not sure what that means for the others, including Bright which have kept their estimated dates, if that means they are more confident they're hit their timeframes. Probably not, but at least Bright wasn't bumped out another year. Yet. o_O

Some investigation is under way on this one...

A message on Whirlpool said that they saw some under construction "in Myrtleford".

Further questioning said that it was "At the turn off for Mt Beauty just past the town. In a car park of a pub I think. I only saw it as I was driving past."

From previous comments by this person they know the difference between superchargers, destination chargers, etc. but it would nice to confirm.

I had a look on Google Maps and this is the turn off:
upload_2019-5-5_10-36-16.png

I sent a message on Facebook to that hotel (Happy Valley Hotel, Ovens) to ask. But they might not even use FB messenger so not sure when I'll get a reply.

Happy Valley Hotel

If anyone is going past could they check it out?

Ping @doctorwho :)

It makes sense to have it up & running now, with ski season about to start & all those 'toffee nosed' Tesla owners heading up there.
Maybe they chose there instead of Bright to 'split the difference' - Bright location is biased to Mt Hotham skiers, Mt Beauty is biased to Falls Creek skiers.
Funnily, the location you show is about where I landed my hang glider a few years ago!
I still think Bright is the better location overall because Bright is overwhelming a bigger tourist destination than Myrtleford or Mount Beauty
@Chuq

Reactions: Chuq
I wonder if they're CCS2/ Type 2 combo Superchargers like they have in the UK for the Model 3...
You'd hope so - they're only going to have to swap them in a couple of months anyway. We all thought Bathurst and Dubbo would have CCS2 cables but no luck :(

Interestingly enough if you Google map search "Melbourne to Falls Creek" it goes through Ovens but not Bright (see circles on the map below). I've never travelled that road in my life so no idea if this is representative of real life or not, but Tesla knows which routes are typically driven!

upload_2019-5-5_12-33-12.png

• Informative
Reactions: bradjc
You'd hope so - they're only going to have to swap them in a couple of months anyway. We all thought Bathurst and Dubbo would have CCS2 cables but no luck :(

Interestingly enough if you Google map search "Melbourne to Falls Creek" it goes through Ovens but not Bright (see circles on the map below). I've never travelled that road in my life so no idea if this is representative of real life or not, but Tesla knows which routes are typically driven!

View attachment 404186
As per my post above, Tesla are splitting the difference - it’s roughly the same difference whether you go to Mt Hotham or Falls Creek
Typically you go to Mt Hotham via Bright, & Ovens is on the way prior
It also provides a charging option on the way to Mt Buffalo

• Informative
Reactions: bradjc and Chuq

View attachment 404186

Yes, I can confirm that driving to Mount Beauty or Falls Creek via that route is much easier and quicker than going via Bright. The Bright gap is very steep and winding, where as the happy valley road is flowing.

Its a great idea for the supercharger to be before this turn off as it serves both destinations. HOWEVER, it again seems like a missed opportunity, the Mrytleford township has large variety of places to eat and drink, this location just has one. Myrtleford main street has just been redeveloped and its very nice indeed. I'm guessing that a deal couldn't be negotiated but its disappointing as food and drink probably won't be available from early morning until late at night.

• Informative
Reactions: doctorwho and Chuq
Well sited at the turnoff for Falls or Hotham, however...
Ovens Happy Valley Pub isn't open every day
Unsure if there'll be after-hours toilet facilities
certainly no options within 2 km if the pub is closed
isolated. It's a site with similar attributes to Gundagai, but with more alcohol, pub grub.

Bring your bike, it's on the rail trail
Beware at night, the stretch between Myrtleford and Ovens is infested with kangaroos, foxes and deer at night, I never drive it over 80km/hr, often 60.

• Informative
Reactions: bradjc