Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bring back EAP (to USA)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Heard they just offered EAP in AUS and New Zealand. So you’re saying there’s a chance….

It is a long story but I’m in a three month Tesla provided rental (with FSD) while my non FSD M3 is in the repair shop. I’ll be damned if I pay 12k for FSD, but I would pay….4K (?) for EAP. Maybe even 5 or 6.

Hey @Elon….any chance?

Reactions: Jones1
Heard they just offered EAP in AUS and New Zealand. So you’re saying there’s a chance….

It is a long story but I’m in a three month Tesla provided rental (with FSD) while my non FSD M3 is in the repair shop. I’ll be damned if I pay 12k for FSD, but I would pay….4K (?) for EAP. Maybe even 5 or 6.

Hey @Elon….any chance?
He actually did agree to bring it back on Twitter earlier today. :)

Reactions: CDennis100
Still seems like a of $$$ when the only thing I would want is auto lane change. Am
I missing something? Never used EAP before.
I've had EAP on two of the Model 3s I've owned and that's the main thing I've used it for. Things like Summon are cool party tricks, but rarely work for me and/or just have no practical use for me on a regular basis. NoA is a bit too unreliable for me to use consistently.

That said, I had FSD beta on my Model Y and it didn't do much more. Beta terrified my wife, had a lot more forced disengagements and EAP has far fewer phantom braking episodes for me. Though that may also be a Radar vs. Vision issue.

$5700 AUD is roughly $4K USD. Not sure why they would charge more than that.
In New Zealand FSD is $11,400 NZD. At the same conversion rate this is $8K US so EAP is half the price of FSD in NZ. I think Rob Maurer (from Tesla Daily, or was it Dillon Loomis?) speculated that these are cheaper in NZ because Tesla wants to get more data from there to train the NN.

This is all consistent with EAP being $6K in the US.

• Informative
Reactions: glide
It would make more sense if it was EAP was part of a Enhanced Technology Package, e.g., you get the 4 Full Self-Driving Capability features that make sense (NoA, Auto Lane Change, (dumb) Summon, Autopark) along with premium connectivity for life of car, maybe put Tesla Entertainment and/or the game platform in there, etc. All that would make sense for $5-6K in my mind.

I've had EAP on two of the Model 3s I've owned and that's the main thing I've used it for. Things like Summon are cool party tricks, but rarely work for me and/or just have no practical use for me on a regular basis. NoA is a bit too unreliable for me to use consistently.

That said, I had FSD beta on my Model Y and it didn't do much more. Beta terrified my wife, had a lot more forced disengagements and EAP has far fewer phantom braking episodes for me. Though that may also be a Radar vs. Vision issue.
I agree 100%. I have EAP on my MS and M3 and I only use EAP for lane changes. I do like NoA and sometimes it’s helpful. Other things don’t really work. AP on MYP does what I need and I cannot see myself paying anything more than $500 for moving from AP to EAP. $6k would be ridiculous. People would go.. I paid $6k for this?

• Love
Reactions: El joe
How about Tesla charges what the market will bear, which is currently $12k for FSD Capabilities.

A 12% take rate on that $12K FSD sticker is clearly not what the market will bear.

Maybe you and Elon should take one of those courses you linked.

A 12% take rate on that $12K FSD sticker is clearly not what the market will bear.

Maybe you and Elon should take one of those courses you linked.
I can't argue with ignorance, Glide. If Tesla loses money because the price is too high (low demand), then the price comes down. If the price is too low (high demand), then the price comes up.

The variable we don't know is supply, which is the cost associated with supplying FSD (engineers, software designers, server farms for simulations, database and administrators, etc.). We can infer from the rising cost of FSD that the supply/demand curve was leaning towards higher demand and lower supply. If we stabilize at $12k for FSD, then we've reached the market price. You can see the pattern forming. Market forces, such as inflation, employment figures, discretionary income, etc. will also adjust prices.

To be clear, I wouldn't mind if the price comes down, but we don't get to set the price, the market does. Me yelling at the grocery store that milk and bread are too expensive isn't going to magically make them cheaper.

I'm one of those folks who got EAP for $5k when it was available and upgraded to FSD during the firesale, so got it at a great price.
That $5k included basic Autopilot though.
No way I'm spending 12k for FSD for our new Model Y.
However, I'd jump at getting EAP again on the Y - assuming a $3-4k price point.

I'd be pleasantly surprised if they actually released it in the US though, mainly because It gives them a serious pricing quandary.
New cars have basic AP built in, so pricing EAP at its original $5k would be too much, but if its less than $5k it makes the FSD uptick look like a terribly poor bang for buck.
Based on current capabilities, FSD for $7k would only add the pretty useless traffic light beta. Everything else is "in the future"
Their other option is to over-price EAP, but that looks like a bad idea too when it adds a small number of really useful features to base AP, many of them are just gimmicks (Elon admitted as much).
I think I've used summon maybe 10 times in four years, usually to show off the tech. I think I've used the xmas light show more often :)
Auto park has been used maybe twice due to the difficulty in getting it to trigger.
EAP is really only lane change and NoA, both of which have been working pretty well and reliably. Its up to you if you think thats worth the cost or not.