Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bring back SGIP discussion [ can I self apply for SGIP - Equity and Resiliency?]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Most of the discussion about this topics belongs to 2020. I had to get my Solar System installed separately from Tesla (Tesla didn't like shading), Solar was installed in Dec 2020 and my 2 Powerwalls installed in May 2021. I was able to get my Solar installers Developer Key, but I think I need Tesla Developer Key since they were the last installation team. I am trying to apply for Equity Resilience since we are in Tier-3 Fire Threat, had more than enough share of PSPS and I am part of medical baseline.

What are your thoughts? It is a large some of funds if I could get it.

Most of the discussion about this topics belongs to 2020. I had to get my Solar System installed separately from Tesla (Tesla didn't like shading), Solar was installed in Dec 2020 and my 2 Powerwalls installed in May 2021. I was able to get my Solar installers Developer Key, but I think I need Tesla Developer Key since they were the last installation team. I am trying to apply for Equity Resilience since we are in Tier-3 Fire Threat, had more than enough share of PSPS and I am part of medical baseline.

What are your thoughts? It is a large some of funds if I could get it.
Equity Resiliency is not subject to the Develop cap like other SGIP budgets. Look at the SGIP matrix budget for Equity Resiliency , often, under your utility company to see how much funds are allocated/left.
For example, So Cal Edison SGIP Equity Resiliency funds are exhausted now, but they are putting applicants on a waitlist (through the Developer) They are allowing new applicants for SGIP rebates when other customers cancel.
The SGIP PA's at the utility companies are pretty good at answering specific SGIP questions.
One of the potential problems seems to be that solar installers are not always putting qualified customers in for reservations for SGIP, with the utility companies early in the project before their installations.

I applied for and received my own SGIP Developer Key in August 2020; thinking I could submit my own SGIP application. I probably had a slim chance to do this on my own (the rebate is crazy-complicated but not impossible). Luckily my installer (Sunrun) stepped in and did the application for me. However I had to PM the whole process since Sunrun was surprised at all the extra info requested of my system.

The one hurdle I know I couldn't have overcome was the one where I had to produce "Discharge Data" to SGIP to prove the system was installed and operational. I think some of the early SGIP people were able to produce simple reports via the Tesla app. But now SGIP needs a full detailed account and proof the system was cycling. Tesla will not release this data to the homeowner if the Powerwall was installed by an Authorized Tesla Reseller. So if you can somehow get your own Powerwalls through a Tesla program and they let you self-install... there's a chance you can get your own SGIP if Tesla sends this discharge report to you.

Also, some other forum members saw my thread where I got my SGIP key; and they asked how I did it. Unfortunately those other TMC users were not allowed their SGIP key even though they did what I did. So I suspect SGIP may have killed the "homeowner developer" option.