Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bring Back The Green Mileage Icon - Please!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You guys are funny. A simple color change and Tesla engineers are idiots. Reducing the gps area? An outrage... :p
I'm merely trying to describe what I believe to be a possible explanation. Change is hard, a lot of people instinctively reject it, but once it settles in many will accept it. Give it some time.
Or, if it pleases you, shoot the messenger :)

Looking at an iPhone is fundamentally different than looking at a car instrument panel as the required focus in each use case is dramatically different. The battery icon on iPhone doesn’t need to be so obvious since it’s a couple inches outside the center of current focus.

Unless you are steering at the iPhone icons j
It is completely out of focus. You can’t see the charge rate. At least in the Tesla you are more zoom s out so you can see the speed at the battery Info at the same time.

I agree that the green battery is better, but let’s not go making *sugar* up...

You guys are funny. A simple color change and Tesla engineers are idiots. Reducing the gps area? An outrage... :p
I'm merely trying to describe what I believe to be a possible explanation. Change is hard, a lot of people instinctively reject it, but once it settles in many will accept it. Give it some time.

could explain what is bad about the green battery?

You are one of the only reasonable people here, apparently. Cheers my friend. We are the minority.

dumbass tesla owners.png
This is what you people want.

how do you know it distracts? Have their been studies to suggest that people stare at green things? Or are you just making things up?

maybe we should go to black grey white traffic lights then, shall we? jesus. think.

If you have screen where everything is in dark grey notes on black your eyes will be drawn to the only green thing and if another green thing flashes you might see it a fraction of a second later.

maybe we should go to black grey white traffic lights then, shall we? jesus. think.

If you have screen where everything is in dark grey notes on black your eyes will be drawn to the only green thing and if another green thing flashes you might see it a fraction of a second later.

The idea that a green bar is more distracting than a grey one is ridiculous and without merit.

In the future, I would suggest avoid spouting off stuff without a basis of fact or science to back it up.

Having run a usability lab, I can tell you that - properly executed - UI design is a science. There are statistical methods for testing and making decisions. There are also some basic tenets that have been sufficiently established that you do not need to retest them each time.

it is also absolutely true that people have an experiential bias. Even if something is poor UI design and would objectively fail tests, it may be preferred for a while because it is familiar.

this puts UI designers in a bind: change for empirically better, or stay with what people are used to.

I posted several months ago that I rented a BMW after 8 years of 99% driving Tesla. The number of buttons, knobs, controls, screens, and arrangement of options were overwhelming, non-intuitive, and dangerous. 8 years ago, it probably would have seemed OK because it was extension of what I was used to.

now, I’m not arguing that Tesla always does good usability design. I’m with the group that says they may have missed on font size of new update. But in this battery icon instance, I suggest that everyone who has an issue now will forget it in a matter of months.