Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bring Back The Green Mileage Icon - Please!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've seen a similar discussion elsewhere. My guess is that it's a user interface decision. Color attracts attention, and the battery doesn't need our attention when it's high. There should be as little attention - grabbing things as possible so we concentrate on driving, or on any other important things. I believe it still turns yellow at 20% and red at 10%, which is where it should attract our eye.

I've seen a similar discussion elsewhere. My guess is that it's a user interface decision. Color attracts attention, and the battery doesn't need our attention when it's high. There should be as little attention - grabbing things as possible so we concentrate on driving, or on any other important things. I believe it still turns yellow at 20% and red at 10%, which is where it should attract our eye.
I agree but wish there was an option to take it further. An option to remove the battery icon entirely (when the battery is not low). I want to monitor the battery closely when I'm on a road trip, but when I am driving around town the battery display serves no purpose other than to cause range/degradation anxiety.

• Disagree
Reactions: cdswm3 and Gasaraki
It's still green on the Model S and Model X so it was probably a mistake that it was updated on the Model 3 and Model Y.

I strongly disagree, not because the general argument is wrong, but that electric cars have such high variability in range based on temperature and driving conditions/style. I’m pretty regularly a bit surprised in how off my mental model is of the remaining rage.