Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bring on the snow!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Joining the Party here, I just got Les Schwab to put my Blizzaks on my fav Rhino Boxers.
BTW: This is ourfirst Tesla, Model Y LR built in Oct 2020, shipped up to Juneau, Alaska and arrived 17th Nov, 2020.
Joining the Party here, I just got Les Schwab to put my Blizzaks on my fav Rhino Boxers.
BTW: This is ourfirst Tesla, Model Y LR built in Oct 2020, shipped up to Juneau, Alaska and arrived 17th Nov, 2020.

Those are bad ass rims. Can you take a picture further to see what the car looks like with them on?

Could someone use just two winter tires on the rear wheels of a a Long Range RWD Model Y? Prior to FWD vehicles and AWD vehicles becoming more common, when passenger cars were mostly RWD Detroit built iron, we would "put on the snows" (rear wheels only) around Thanksgiving, take the snow tires off at the beginning of April. The optional GM traction upgrade was Positraction, a limited slip differential. This was in Nassau County, NY (Long Island if you don't know NY.)

These wheels look cool. Take some more pics

Reactions: gillfoto
Could someone use just two winter tires on the rear wheels of a a Long Range RWD Model Y? Prior to FWD vehicles and AWD vehicles becoming more common, when passenger cars were mostly RWD Detroit built iron, we would "put on the snows" (rear wheels only) around Thanksgiving, take the snow tires off at the beginning of April. The optional GM traction upgrade was Positraction, a limited slip differential. This was in Nassau County, NY (Long Island if you don't know NY.)

Yeah 30 years ago we didn't have traction control either.

If you want to defeat all the safety features you just paid for go ahead and put just two MISMATCHED tires on.

It will probably mess with your regen as well when the car detects you have mismatched traction.

Yes back 30 years ago, we only worried about moving forward, not stopping and turning.

• Helpful
Reactions: jcanoe
Yeah 30 years ago we didn't have traction control either.

If you want to defeat all the safety features you just paid for go ahead and put just two MISMATCHED tires on.

It will probably mess with your regen as well when the car detects you have mismatched traction.

Yes back 30 years ago, we only worried about moving forward, not stopping and turning.
Why then, does the Tesla Shop specify that tire chains are only to be installed on the rear wheels of the Model Y? Is is because there is not enough clearance for chains on the front wheels?

"Note: Chains should only be installed on the rear wheels of Model Y and only on 19" and 20” tires. The use of non-recommended snow chains has been shown to cause suspension and other vehicle damage."

7AA62F6B-FD1A-412D-9F13-265023FF5AF8.jpeg
F1CDD3CC-86CD-4DB8-931D-DEFBB5BFD005.jpeg
4D1598AC-06EE-4FDD-BB10-7171D9B3C817.jpeg

Why then, does the Tesla Shop specify that tire chains are only to be installed on the rear wheels of the Model Y? Is is because there is not enough clearance for chains on the front wheels?

"Note: Chains should only be installed on the rear wheels of Model Y and only on 19" and 20” tires. The use of non-recommended snow chains has been shown to cause suspension and other vehicle damage."

Because chains are a very narrow set of conditions you use them in.

You want the same traction on all 4 wheels.

The Dangers of Using Just Two Snow Tires - Les Schwab

Because chains are a very narrow set of conditions you use them in.

You want the same traction on all 4 wheels.

The Dangers of Using Just Two Snow Tires - Les Schwab
Thanks for the link. Agreed that having 4 winter/snow tires is absolutely necessary on FWD, AWD and 4WD vehicles. The Les Schwab articles does state that putting snow tires on the back wheels only could work in rear-wheel drive vehicles.

In a RWD Tesla Model 3 or the anticipated Long Range RWD Model Y the traction control and regenerative braking only operate on the rear wheels. I'd be interested in viewing a road test in actual snow conditions for these Tesla RWD vehicles with rear-only winter/snow tires installed.

Is it Okay to Put Snow Tires on the Back Only?
Again, the answer is no. Mostly. While it’s not recommended, the only time this could work is on rear-wheel-drive only vehicles. Even in these cases, we still recommend four matching snow tires for optimal performance. Anything else, including 4x4s, front-wheel drive, and all-wheel drive vehicles should have a full set of snow tires for best traction. Installing a set of snow tires on just the back wheels can easily cause your vehicle to understeer.

Thanks for the link. Agreed that having 4 winter/snow tires is absolutely necessary on FWD, AWD and 4WD vehicles. The Les Schwab articles does state that putting snow tires on the back wheels only could work in rear-wheel drive vehicles.

In a RWD Tesla Model 3 or the anticipated Long Range RWD Model Y the traction control and regenerative braking only operate on the rear wheels. I'd be interested in viewing a road test in actual snow conditions for these Tesla RWD vehicles with rear-only winter/snow tires installed.

Is it Okay to Put Snow Tires on the Back Only?
Again, the answer is no. Mostly. While it’s not recommended, the only time this could work is on rear-wheel-drive only vehicles. Even in these cases, we still recommend four matching snow tires for optimal performance. Anything else, including 4x4s, front-wheel drive, and all-wheel drive vehicles should have a full set of snow tires for best traction. Installing a set of snow tires on just the back wheels can easily cause your vehicle to understeer.

It says it COULD work on RWD but STILL recommended it.

Also if the Tesla detects differences in traction (traction isn’t just acceleration) it will back off on Regen. If you hit the brakes and it detects front has different grip than rear it will back off on regen. It will think it’s in slippery conditions when it sees different wheels behave differently.

A lot of folks had trouble with putting 4 snows on RWD because the saw traction changes and folks lost regen. I think that is fixed now. You start mixing tires and I bet it would cause trouble.

It’s not even a good idea to mix brand tires or severely differently worn tires. Never mind type of tire.

Someone mentioned Tesla chains suggests chains only in rear. Why does Tesla only sell snow packages of 4 tires?

Every tire shop will recommend 4. You end up just putting the tread wear on different tires and save your summer tires fit summer. As well as keeping your better rims for summer.

It’s also common to go with a smaller rim for winter as well.

Its win win win all around to use 4 matched snows on smaller / cheaper rims. Regardless if it’s FWD, RWD or AWD.

It says it COULD work on RWD but STILL recommended it.

Also if the Tesla detects differences in traction (traction isn’t just acceleration) it will back off on Regen. If you hit the brakes and it detects front has different grip than rear it will back off on regen. It will think it’s in slippery conditions when it sees different wheels behave differently.

A lot of folks had trouble with putting 4 snows on RWD because the saw traction changes and folks lost regen. I think that is fixed now. You start mixing tires and I bet it would cause trouble.

It’s not even a good idea to mix brand tires or severely differently worn tires. Never mind type of tire.

Someone mentioned Tesla chains suggests chains only in rear. Why does Tesla only sell snow packages of 4 tires?

Every tire shop will recommend 4. You end up just putting the tread wear on different tires and save your summer tires fit summer. As well as keeping your better rims for summer.

It’s also common to go with a smaller rim for winter as well.

Its win win win all around to use 4 matched snows on smaller / cheaper rims. Regardless if it’s FWD, RWD or AWD.
I agree with everything you posted. I am just curious how a RWD Model 3 or Model Y would handle with rear winter/snow tires on a test track to learn if this configuration was even possible given Tesla's unique drive, regenerative braking and traction control.

Reactions: mswlogo
Winter Conditions on our Driveway, Raining on slushy ice and snow composite; not ideal but can get much worse can turn to smooth solid ice hence the gravel, Southeast Alaska.
First test of the Tesla Y with Bridgestone Blizzaks.

Last edited:
Reactions: cusetownusa
The majority of your control (via steering and braking) then wouldn’t have any traction compared to your rear. If you put them up front then you’re asking for the rear to spin around because lack of traction.

Get a set of four and figure out how to store them, or get Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06, Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 (winter testing hopefully coming in the next couple months), or
Winter Conditions on our Driveway, Raining on slushy ice and snow composite; not ideal but can get much worse can turn to smooth solid ice hence the gravel, Southeast Alaska.
Either you're moving at a pretty fast clip... or those rears are spinning a bit :p

I just received my Model Y last week and im looking at snow tires. Stuck between the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3's and the Vredestein Wintrac Pro's. Can anyone help sway me one way or the other. Price wise they are only a few dollars off so basically the same. Thanks!

There have been some good user reviews of the Vredestein's but I don't think any professional reviews yet. The Hakka's are always a great tire for winter and are right up there with the best of the best. Maybe the Vredestein's will be too, but I haven't seen hard proof of that yet other than "they feel great with lots of grip!"

The majority of your control (via steering and braking) then wouldn’t have any traction compared to your rear. If you put them up front then you’re asking for the rear to spin around because lack of traction.

Get a set of four and figure out how to store them, or get Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06, Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 (winter testing hopefully coming in the next couple months), or

Either you're moving at a pretty fast clip... or those rears are spinning a bit :p
(No Spinning; looked at original file rims a sharp not blurred) Thanks, that's my Sharon driving her Tesla Y, born and raised in Juneau, Alaska. Good luck trying to tell her that! :p:p:p:p

that’s awesome. I need to get wheels like that.

Reactions: gillfoto