Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bring the Dashcam in-house!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Volvo has claimed they'll take full responsibility if an autonomous car crashes so I would imagine companies with a similar philosophy would have their cars automatically record to provide vital info in fighting an insurance claim. Tesla has not said it would take fault but as we've seen in some of the crash logs of totaled cars they still record a few frames before the crash. AP2 could be recording more than that. I agree, though. Just stick an SD card slot somewhere and let it record.

Tesla has already stated that all the cameras are B&W except the reverse camera. Color information is worthless to the AI and just requires extra processing. One of the forward cameras is red to pick up stop lights and signs.

Plus, the Nvidia platform draws like 125W when on so it would drain a 60KWh battery in 25 days.

The whole AP hardware operating might take a lot of power, but just recording the video stream to memory would not take as much power. Black and White is totally fine for the purpose of having evidence. Better than nothing.
I honestly think Dashcams should be in every car. It would help save the police, insurance and courts a whole lot of time and money.

I see no reason why all cameras in the Tesla shouldn't be color cameras (cost is relatively cheap). They could store the color video on some internal storage and then apply a relatively cheap B&W filter prior to sending it to the AI for analysis.