Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bringing back the Sunday drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I might come without my Model S in an ICE car so my daughter can get her driving hours in!

Hey wait - that's just not right - my daughter's first day driving ever this past Sunday was in a Model S. Hmmm...wondering if that is a first for Tesla, as well as for my daughter.

Anyone welcome - in whatever transport you have. Looks like we have a nice Quorum of Model S's.

The history of The Sunday Drive is quite interesting, beckoning back to a time, way back in 2013, when owners of the first four-door Tesla gathered to drive together for ostensibly no good reason, long before the company became the worldwide leader in car sales and before the ban on carbon-based fuels in transportation, then with a 265-mile range battery in place of today's 2500 mile air-aluminum-hydrogen cell battery. President Musk must smile when he looks back:

Sunday drive
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A Sunday drive is an automobile trip typically taken for pleasure or leisure on a Sunday, usually in the afternoon. During the Sunday drive, there is typically no destination and no rush.[1]

The use of the automobile for the Sunday drive began in the 1920s and 1930s. The idea was that the automobile was not used for commuting or errands, but for pleasure. There would be no rush to reach any particular destination.[2] The practice became increasingly popular throughout the 20th century. Parkways were constructed for recreational driving of this sort.

During the 21st century, as a result of higher gasoline prices, some have curtailed their Sunday drives.[8]

That last line has a nice ring to it. Just completing 8,500 miles in my car and I have not broken $200 in fuel costs.

I count at least ten Model S's for this Sunday. Very nice. Will tell Nancy to have plenty of eggs.

Again, all welcome. Robert please come by land no matter how many lanterns are hanging at The Old North Church on Sunday. If anyone knows where best to post the info for this ride on the regular Tesla Forum, at Teslamotors.com, please do so!

Okay, with some feigned hesitation I would note that, while those waiting for their Model S can understandably show in another car, perhaps those who actually own a Model S might take it upon themselves to show for the Sunday Drive in... a Model S!

And for all who are still awaiting that magical delivery day, I would venture that I and others will be happy to take you in our Model S's so you can cruise the stone-lined farm roads of New England without leaving any more exhaust than Paul Revere himself.

And suddenly, April 28 is upon us… History beckons us to historic Lexington and along the farm roads of New England. Looks like perfect weather, perfect temperature, and it should be a perfect drive. All welcome, 11 AM at the address started above. We will stop at Nancy's Fairfield Café in Stowe for lunch, if she'll have us.

If you're seeing this at the last minute there's no need to let us know you're coming-just get there!
Look forward to seeing you all.

Hey folks that was a lot of fun. Perfect spring day, farm roads (and bikers logging trucks and fire engines), lunch on the porch and grass at Fern's in Carlisle, and perfect socializing time and picture-taking at Nancy's Airfield Cafe, sans Nancy and Cafe. Please post pics bling comments. Thirteen Model S's wound through Lexington Concord Carlisle Littleton Acton Westford Boxboro Stowe and I think Lincoln. From original Signature owners (treeva and cinergi excellent showing), to a new one-week owner (Brian33 get some dust on that car), to on the wait list Bhuwan, and little ones who have no idea what they are witnessing but who will benefit most one day. Nice Time. Thanks all for making the effort. And, Daniel, please bring a slide rule next time.

Hey folks that was a lot of fun. Perfect spring day, farm roads (and bikers logging trucks and fire engines), lunch on the porch and grass at Fern's in Carlisle, and perfect socializing time and picture-taking at Nancy's Airfield Cafe, sans Nancy and Cafe. Please post pics bling comments. Thirteen Model S's wound through Lexington Concord Carlisle Littleton Acton Westford Boxboro Stowe and I think Lincoln. From original Signature owners (treeva and cinergi excellent showing), to a new one-week owner (Brian33 get some dust on that car), to on the wait list Bhuwan, and little ones who have no idea what they are witnessing but who will benefit most. Nice day. Thanks all for making the effort. And, Daniel, please bring a slide rule next time.

It was awesome! Thanks for arranging it Jim. Great to meet everyone.

Passed a blue Model S in Wayland on my way home!

Next time don't make me drive through the town I work in on my day off. :)

Great day of driving and socializing! Thanks esp to Jim for organizing the day; while not everything went exactly on script, that's what makes life fun.

Among the memories for the day: the exceeding quietness. Thirteen high-performance sedans poised roadside, motors at the ready, and all one could hear was the birds and the wind. Hearing a MS pull up next to mine on the grass was hardly louder than someone walking. What a great tech -- we turned more than a few heads today!

- - - Updated - - -

Here's a tentative route for our May drive. I'm currently looking at May 19; I'm assuming that the following Sunday, on Memorial Day weekend, is going to be difficult for many (and I'll be in Charleston SC). Feedback on the route or dates most welcome.

The route starts just east of downtown Newbury MA at the Joppa Flats Audubon Society facility, which has 2 free Chargepoint chargers. We wind our way down to the south coast of Cape Ann, then follow the coastline through Manchester-by-the-Sea and Gloucester to Rockport. We'll finish up at a private estate in Rockport for refreshments.

Afterwards, I'd recommend continuing counterclockwise around Cape Ann to Annisquam, a pretty town on the water. If you really want to make a day of it, bring your beach things and head over to Wingaersheek Beach, facing Ipswich Bay.

I am sad that I had to miss this. Unfortunately, I help coach our daughter's soccer team on Sundays so I probably won't be able to make one until the summer. Daniel had a great time :). I guess I will have to ask him about the slide ruler....