Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bringing US spec car to the EU temporarily

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've ignored all the other threads about importing and exporting cars because it was never something I considered before.
I'm considering a 1 year post in the EU, but I don't want to walk away from my Model S for a year shortly after getting it.

Does anyone know the logistics of temporarily bringing a US spec car into the EU and then returning it?

I have a friend who did this, from what I have heard it is usually it's better to ship cars by RORO (roll on/off) and cost somewhere around $1000-2000, less work and lower cost than with container shipping.

I'm guessing as long as you have the car properly registered in the US, you can legally drive it in other countries. I'm sure there is a time limit and a year could be pushing it. Best to check with Luxembourg how long you can keep it with US plates before they want you to register it there (at which point homologation becomes a problem).
Second thing to check is insurance. Will your US based insurance cover it in EU? Will a local company cover a foreign registered car?
Third is to make sure you have a compatible way to charge it...

Many members and civilian employees of U.S. Forces drive their cars in EU. Usually they need to attach EU style plates (both front and rear). Check this thread:
...there was a DoD change at some point in time to prod U.S. forces to switch to local plates for security reasons.

Plus you need UMC or mobile charger with EU spec and a statement from Tesla that these will work with an U.S. specced Model S.

I don't know but I assume it is a regulatory requirement by EU not by American Forces. I can put anyone in contact with a civilian member of AF serving in EU. PM me.

I'm almost certain, that at least in Switzerland, it is not a regulatory requirement. I see people with american cars ( with red turn indicators ) and plates (regular ones, not EU-style) driving around here almost at a weekly basis.