TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Bringing US spec car to the EU temporarily

Discussion in 'Model S' started by richkae, May 4, 2012.

1. richkae

richkae VIN587

I've ignored all the other threads about importing and exporting cars because it was never something I considered before.
    I'm considering a 1 year post in the EU, but I don't want to walk away from my Model S for a year shortly after getting it.

Does anyone know the logistics of temporarily bringing a US spec car into the EU and then returning it?

2. Trnsl8r

Trnsl8r Blue 85kwh since 12/8/12

Which country?

3. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

#3 NigelM, May 5, 2012
    Last edited: May 5, 2012
    I think the shipping costs will be the biggest issue. Also think about your car unplugged on a vessel for a couple of weeks....I'd get advice from Tesla.

4. richkae

richkae VIN587

Luxembourg.
    I'll talk to Tesla thanks.

5. Bearman

Bearman Member

I have a friend who did this, from what I have heard it is usually it's better to ship cars by RORO (roll on/off) and cost somewhere around $1000-2000, less work and lower cost than with container shipping.

6. Trnsl8r

I'm guessing as long as you have the car properly registered in the US, you can legally drive it in other countries. I'm sure there is a time limit and a year could be pushing it. Best to check with Luxembourg how long you can keep it with US plates before they want you to register it there (at which point homologation becomes a problem).
    Second thing to check is insurance. Will your US based insurance cover it in EU? Will a local company cover a foreign registered car?
    Third is to make sure you have a compatible way to charge it...

7. VolkerP

VolkerP EU Model S P-37

Many members and civilian employees of U.S. Forces drive their cars in EU. Usually they need to attach EU style plates (both front and rear). Check this thread:
    Plus you need UMC or mobile charger with EU spec and a statement from Tesla that these will work with an U.S. specced Model S.

8. Trnsl8r

Does that apply to US Forces only or for everyone? (We don't know if OP is going with that or private employment...)

9. VolkerP

VolkerP EU Model S P-37

I don't know but I assume it is a regulatory requirement by EU not by American Forces. I can put anyone in contact with a civilian member of AF serving in EU. PM me.

10. linaser

linaser Member

I'm almost certain, that at least in Switzerland, it is not a regulatory requirement. I see people with american cars ( with red turn indicators ) and plates (regular ones, not EU-style) driving around here almost at a weekly basis.