Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brings a tear to my eye...voice command for “Open glovebox”, thank you Elon!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

smartypnz

Supporting Member
Jan 23, 2013
Monterey Peninsula
Tomorrow is my Model 3's two year birthday. Having Teslas since 2013 has been fun, well no - exhilarating most of the time.

But, this Christmas update brought me...

"Open Glovebox"

And for a few frozen microseconds of anticipation - nothing. But then, there was that click. It was like the brightest light ever appeared as the door opened.

I know - probably just me - but that glovebox is something I have had problems remembering where the location (Screen) of that elusive button was.
Simple answer - make it a voice command.

Thank you Elon - you're still amazing me!!!

With this update my voice commands all-of-a-sudden work again.

They only worked for a few weeks after I got the car in late June 2019. Then stopped. for example, I could say "Directions to xyz" and it would always perfectly translate what I said but then it would display "Try again". Same thing for music, I'd say "Play Temples of Syrinx by Rush" and it would perfectly translate it, but then say "Try again".

Now those all work again.

Frankly, not a hard button to open glovebox in model 3 is beyond me. I think Tesla is going too much to the extreme in eliminating every simple and reliable mechanic controls.

Please don't take me wrong - I love my three days old SR+, but still those quirks existing for no obvious reason other than Tesla's eccentric ideology or whatever that is. Center mounted screen with no driver side info display is stupid too.

Right... Finally, they get the car to work as it should have from day #1. No physical button for common functions in a two ton moving object is full stop stupid, but at least the voice bit works now.

I'm not yang, but I'll answer that one NOLA:

I bought it, despite the numerous shortcomings arising from Tesla's insistence on unnecessarily reinventing the wheel at every turn, because it drives better than any other vehicle near its price point.

Shortcomings= distinct lack of buttons / switches for common items like glove box / wipers / lights, display using too small fonts / not in front of me / too small digital 'buttons', wipers that are always wiping too little or too much for conditions, etc.

I tried to send a text this morning (first time with audio commands) and it transcribed my voice perfectly and the card window said to tap to send it but for the life of me I couldn't get past this point. It showed the correct sendee person even. Even did a reboot just in case but same result. Either there is something in set up that I'm missing or it's a bug. No tapping anywhere, scrolling wheel or the card window did anything to send. When I would tap the circular arrow in the far right bottom corner of the card it would send me back to Dictate. Any thoughts?

BTW I did try out the command for climate temp change and it handled that perfectly. Did it several times and always did it. Haven't had much time to try out other commands yet.

Reactions: APotatoGod
Frankly, not a hard button to open glovebox in model 3 is beyond me. I think Tesla is going too much to the extreme in eliminating every simple and reliable mechanic controls.

Please don't take me wrong - I love my three days old SR+, but still those quirks existing for no obvious reason other than Tesla's eccentric ideology or whatever that is. Center mounted screen with no driver side info display is stupid too.

You do realize the effort is to move towards full level 5 self-driving one day in the future so audio commands will play a huge part in the car in the future.

Reactions: Tron 3
I tried to send a text this morning (first time with audio commands) and it transcribed my voice perfectly and the card window said to tap to send it but for the life of me I couldn't get past this point. It showed the correct sendee person even. Even did a reboot just in case but same result. Either there is something in set up that I'm missing or it's a bug. No tapping anywhere, scrolling wheel or the card window did anything to send. When I would tap the circular arrow in the far right bottom corner of the card it would send me back to Dictate. Any thoughts?

BTW I did try out the command for climate temp change and it handled that perfectly. Did it several times and always did it. Haven't had much time to try out other commands yet.

I think you have to change your settings on your phone, in the Bluetooth section (notifications). We’re you able to receive texts?

• Informative
Reactions: SMAlset
I think you have to change your settings on your phone, in the Bluetooth section (notifications). We’re you able to receive texts?

Hmm. My Model 3 is already recognized by my phone's Bluetooth. Checked Notifications setting and checked the Tesla app under it and notifications are enabled so don't think that was the issue either but good thought. I get notifications on my phone and can send texts there. The person I was trying to send to was someone already in my iPhone Message area and Tesla did recognize him (spoke: send text to X -- and while I didn't use last name it did display the full name so my car was recognizing the person). Haven't tried to have my husband send me a text yet to have the car read a text. Will play more with it today or tomorrow. Nice feature and I was impressed that it clearly understood what I said and typed it correctly. Just need to get it to go the final step.

Last edited:
Tomorrow is my Model 3's two year birthday. Having Teslas since 2013 has been fun, well no - exhilarating most of the time.

"Open Glovebox"

And for a few frozen microseconds of anticipation - nothing. But then, there was that click. It was like the brightest light ever appeared as the door opened.

I know - probably just me - but that glovebox is something I have had problems remembering where the location (Screen) of that elusive button was.

Hmm. My Model 3 is already recognized by my phone's Bluetooth. Checked Notifications setting and checked the Tesla app under it and notifications are enabled so don't think that was the issue either but good thought. I get notifications on my phone and can send texts there. The person I was trying to send to was someone already in my iPhone Message area and Tesla did recognize him (spoke: send text to X -- and while I didn't use last name it did display the full name so my car was recognizing the person). Haven't tried to have my husband send me a text yet to have the car read a text. Will play more with it today or tomorrow. Nice feature and I was impressed that it clearly understood what I said and typed it correctly. Just need to get it to go the final step.
Did you try saying, “Send text.”?

Did you try saying, “Send text.”?

Yes," Send text to X", and it recognized the command. It put up a card window like the tire pressure one, and typed out my message perfectly. Bottom corner of display there said "Tap to Send" but tapping on that text or anywhere on the "card" would never actually send it. Even tried pushing in on the scroll wheel, nada. I tried to take a photo of these screens but by the time I went to my phone camera it disappeared.

"Open Glovebox"

I couldn't agree more!

Feedback is BAD!!
Improvement is BAD!!

When trying to be funny goes wrong...

Did you even read the “feedback” or “improvement” requests?

“Tesla, PLEASE add a mechanical button all the way on the other side of the car! I know it’s easier and safer for me to use the touchscreen I complained about...or voice commands. Yes I knew that Tesla was explicitly going for a minimalistic interior with an innovative user interface when I bought the car. But... I NEED buttons!”

If you’re a still accustomed to looking between your steering wheel for info in 2019 you’re way behind the curve. Nobody does that anymore. MAYBE an argument for HUD can be made. It takes about 5 days (for someone slow) to adjust to looking slightly to the right for MORE info than you’re used to getting. Adapt and overcome.

Or maybe a TM3 isn’t the car for you. Go buy an S, or one of the 100’s of other cars that have all the mechanical buttons and displays that are important to you.

Feedback and improvements are always welcome. But asking a motorcycle to add two more wheels fundamentally changes what is was created to be.

Reactions: APotatoGod