Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

British Columbia Residents Referral Code Petition

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have connections with the Minister of Transportation and have sent her a message as following:

Hi Bowinn, I hope you are doing well! I just wanted to introduce you to this petition (linked below) as I have come across it in recent days. As the deadly heatwaves and wildfires of BC have shown us how much of a threat the climate crisis really is, many of us our looking to our governments for action. Transportation in BC accounts for over 20% of our GHG emissions. That’s why the government needs to act accordingly to decarbonize our transportation.
The use of direct sales are becoming more and more popular especially in the electric vehicle market segment, with many electric car companies such as Tesla and electric vehicle start ups referring to this method of sale. As the popularity and ease of these markets grow, so will the resistance from traditional automakers who rely on selling through dealerships or indirect sale methods. Unfortunately this has had a negative impact on the electric vehicle market as some of the perks and incentives of owning an electric car have vanished.
The most prominent one (to my knowledge) is the lack of access to the referral code program which has helped incentivize many other car purchasers in other states and provinces across the US and Canada to buy and refer others to buy these vehicles. Essentially the referral code program in the case of Tesla gives both the person who refers and the person who receives the referral code 1500Km of free supercharging. This incentive is paid for 100% by Tesla but is banned in the province of BC, which may deter many from referring their friends/colleagues/family to get an electric car.
The electric car industry in BC already accounts for 9.4% of the new sales of private automobiles most of the sales being credited to Tesla and other direct sale companies, which is very close to the goal set by CleanBC that calls for 10% by 2025. We have already pretty much achieved our 2025 electric car goal five years earlier than intended. But many people are worried about the dangerous threat of the climate crisis and are calling for more incentives including the electric car direct sales referral program to be reinstated as it would make sure we meet the goal of 100% zero emission vehicles as soon as possible. The referral program makes sense because the government doesn’t have to pay for it while also exceeding their goals and reinvesting the money they would’ve had to spend on transitioning the private vehicle segment to EVs on other green focused initiatives.
Share petition · Transportation Minister: Remove BCs "Bird Dogging" Laws for EVs to support a sustainable transportation future · Change.org

Thank you,

Brendan Olson

@Brendanols thanks for reaching out to the Minister. Have you heard anything back?

To be honest, while I totally agree that it's ridiculous that the referring party in BC does not get the credit, I think that the argument you make in support of the change is unfortunately a bit weak.

You argue that the lack of this benefit would deter owners from making referrals to other prospective customers. While this may be true, I don't think this is hurting Tesla's sales. For example: B.C. tops North America for electric vehicle uptake in 2020, says minister. To be honest, I think most people in the market for or considering an EV probably already have some familiarity with Tesla. I suspect that few need to be referred in order to consider/purchase a Tesla. And furthermore, for the person making the purchase, they still qualify for the 1,500km credit if they use someone's referral code, thus not having the referrer get the same credit is not a deterrent to the actual purchaser.
Again, I think the limitation here is very much a political one. I see no reason why both parties involved in the referral should not receive the small perk. I just worry that the argument you made for it may not stand up very well. No offense intended.

The other thing is that in BC I believe it is not the Minister of Transportation that is responsible for administering/enforcing the BC Motor Dealer Act (the legislation in contention here). Under a Delegation Agreement, it is the Vehicle Sales Authority of BC, a non-profit society, that is given authority to administer the Motor Dealer Act. Therefore, VSA would likely be the more appropriate body to approach on the matter. However, they would likely deflect the issue to somewhere else.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Are you guys referring to the 1500 kms or the other benefits? Because I'm pretty sure the 1500 kms aren't restricted to BC.
All referral benefits. Tesla's website states:

Program and awards are conditional on and subject to local laws and regulations. Unfortunately, British Columbia residents are not eligible for referrer program awards.

The 1500 km supercharging is restricted technically however Tesla has been known to inconsistently apply this so some British Columbians end up getting it (regardless of reported home location) and others do not. Guessing you might be one of the lucky ones but many British Columbians were denied.

All referral benefits. Tesla's website states:

Program and awards are conditional on and subject to local laws and regulations. Unfortunately, British Columbia residents are not eligible for referrer program awards.

The 1500 km supercharging is restricted technically however Tesla has been known to inconsistently apply this so some British Columbians end up getting it (regardless of reported home location) and others do not. Guessing you might be one of the lucky ones but many British Columbians were denied.
I remember my SA showing his own tesla app with his loot and he had some in there. I just assumed that my buddy wasn't eligible for the phantom ware Roadster draw. His other referral got his kms too.

I remember my SA showing his own tesla app with his loot and he had some in there. I just assumed that my buddy wasn't eligible for the phantom ware Roadster draw. His other referral got his kms too.
The ones you know lucked out. Many British Columbians did not get the 1500 kms supercharging - it's hit and miss but Tesla's own website clearly states British Columbians are not eligible.