Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

British Columbia Residents Referral Code Petition

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sign the Petition. PLEASE SIGN PETITION THANKS :)

I am a firm believer of saving the environment and sustainability which is why I bought a Tesla. When you buy a Tesla you get a referral code which you can give to friends and family so that if they buy a Tesla they will receive 1500 km free Supercharging. When they purchase you as well get an additional 1500 km free Supercharging. This happens in all Canadian provinces EXCEPT British Columbia, it's also allowed in all US states. How is it possible that every other place in North America encourages this so we can bring Electrical Car Adoption to the forefront. But British Columbia has decided it's not for them. I was stunned, shocked and appalled. This needs to change because how can a province that is working with BC Hydro to expand their electrical car network, deny people the ability to encourage others to purchase an electric car like a Tesla.

Attachments

• TY-Noplate.jpeg
    TY-Noplate.jpeg
    964.4 KB · Views: 100
While we're at it, why does BC Hydro have a tiered usage system that discourages EV charging, while simultaneously promoting their green credentials? You would think they would offer time of use discounts or rates that encouraged people to switch to EV's.

Can you please tell us the reasoning behind B.C.'s policy ?
There was considerable discussion of this a year or two go in this forum.
Here is the short version.

BC legislation defines,

"salesperson" means

(a)an individual, other than a motor dealer, who, on behalf of a motor dealer and for or in the expectation of a fee, gain or reward,

(i) solicits, negotiates or arranges for the sale of a motor vehicle to a person, or

(ii) in any way participates in the soliciting, negotiating or arranging for the sale of a motor vehicle to a person,

It then goes on to say that a salesperson must be licensed.

Based on this, use of a “referral code” is considered to be “in any way participates in the soliciting... for the sale of a motor vehicle to a person”.

I’m not saying I agree, in fact I don’t like it as my comments in the previous discussion here show. I’m saying that is the explanation.

There was considerable discussion of this a year or two go in this forum.
Here is the short version.

BC legislation defines,

"salesperson" means

(a)an individual, other than a motor dealer, who, on behalf of a motor dealer and for or in the expectation of a fee, gain or reward,

(i) solicits, negotiates or arranges for the sale of a motor vehicle to a person, or

(ii) in any way participates in the soliciting, negotiating or arranging for the sale of a motor vehicle to a person,

It then goes on to say that a salesperson must be licensed.

Based on this, use of a “referral code” is considered to be “in any way participates in the soliciting... for the sale of a motor vehicle to a person”.

I’m not saying I agree, in fact I don’t like it as my comments in the previous discussion here show. I’m saying that is the explanation.
This is a good explanation of the reference used by the powers that be as a rationale for disallowing the referral reward. Unfortunately the gov't department in charge of this interpretation is not using common sense in applying the provision. Before looking at subparagraph (a)(ii) of the definition of salesperson, one should look at the preamble in paragraph (a) itself and the phrase "on behalf of a motor dealer" does not apply to an individual telling friends and family that they should buy a Tesla because of the virtues. 'On behalf' would imply that an individual is working under some formal arrangement typically employee/employer or contractor which would not apply to the individuals of topic. One could also stretch a bit and say that Tesla has no 'dealers' therefore not meet the requirement in the preamble of "motor dealer". Anyways, just my 2 cents on this poor decision. Unfortunately there is never likely a scenario where someone would ever take this to court but if it did happen I'd think a judge would decide in favour of the owners.

Reactions: Cripps and Vawlkus
This is a good explanation of the reference used by the powers that be as a rationale for disallowing the referral reward. Unfortunately the gov't department in charge of this interpretation is not using common sense in applying the provision. Before looking at subparagraph (a)(ii) of the definition of salesperson, one should look at the preamble in paragraph (a) itself and the phrase "on behalf of a motor dealer" does not apply to an individual telling friends and family that they should buy a Tesla because of the virtues. 'On behalf' would imply that an individual is working under some formal arrangement typically employee/employer or contractor which would not apply to the individuals of topic. One could also stretch a bit and say that Tesla has no 'dealers' therefore not meet the requirement in the preamble of "motor dealer". Anyways, just my 2 cents on this poor decision. Unfortunately there is never likely a scenario where someone would ever take this to court but if it did happen I'd think a judge would decide in favour of the owners.
Unhappily, it would probably take a court case to get that clarified IMHO -.-

Reactions: angus[Y]oung

I am a firm believer of saving the environment and sustainability which is why I bought a Tesla. When you buy a Tesla you get a referral code which you can give to friends and family so that if they buy a Tesla they will receive 1500 km free Supercharging. When they purchase you as well get an additional 1500 km free Supercharging. This happens in all Canadian provinces EXCEPT British Columbia, it's also allowed in all US states. How is it possible that every other place in North America encourages this so we can bring Electrical Car Adoption to the forefront. But British Columbia has decided it's not for them. I was stunned, shocked and appalled. This needs to change because how can a province that is working with BC Hydro to expand their electrical car network, deny people the ability to encourage others to purchase an electric car like a Tesla.
Thank you for leading this effort. I have signed the petition.

has this changed recently? When I got my SR+ in Dec, I used a friends code and when another fried got his Y in Feb he used my code. Currently have 3000 supercharger kms
Supercharging credits are about the only things that you can give/get

Tesla had a fantastic referral program years back, with wheel packages and even cars as rewards - but of course the little boys and girls of the BC Auto Retailers association stomped their tiny, entitled feet and put a stop to it

One more reason, if you needed another, to fart in the general direction of all car dealerships and their industry

Reactions: RedBlitz

Signed, but the shockingly low rate shows you perhaps need to ask the mods to make this a sticky on the Canada section, or maybe even see if they will allow you to DM all BC residents?

As a Brit living in Seattle, I am saddened but not shocked to hear that "the establishment" even in BC continues to put obstacles in the way of what is an inevitable future. I have but one idea to any BC resident who wants to offer a referral program reward to anyone they can get to buy a Tesla, with a "finder's fee" reward for them. That is to use someone else's (a non-BC resident) referral code with the parties agreeing on some equitable finder's fee.

That way the new owner gets the full benefit and the other parties get some benefit too. Make sure the purchaser knows to use the code at the time they enter their order, as it can't be done retrospectively. I lost getting my benefit because of that when I ordered my M3LR in 2018 after being on the wait list for 14 months. I don't know how the 1500km reward is translated into kWh, but based on my experience it seems to be worth about 250kWh of charging or about US$85 based on US charging rates I have experienced. I can't find typical Canadian SC rates on PlugShare, and my one charging session in Vancouver BC is so long ago that I can't get the record from Tesla. So please let me know what the Canadian value might be.

I'm also saddened that being an advocate to everyone within earshot of EVs, home-charging and the like that I have not managed to persuade a single person to switch vehicles yet and have had zero Tesla referrals. So if you need a referral code I can provide mine (as can most anyone on these forums). Use the TMC messaging if you actually want to try this. I also have a TeslaFi referral that gets you a longer free trial.

I actually don't use superchargers very much, according to TeslaFi I have used superchargers on 28 occasions in the last 2 years and spent less than US$400.

Reactions: Vawlkus
Since I bought mine in late March I’ve referred 3 people now who have all gone ahead of bought Tesla M3’s. One has even picked it up and is using it now! The referral link didn’t work even after following the steps to do it. The second person who’s still waiting for their car also couldn’t use the referral code or link. The 3rd actually spoke to somebody at Tesla in Vancouver they made sure that the referral code was used and it actually shows up on my account as an order! It remains to be seen if I will get any SC kms (doubt it) when they finally get the car they ordered. Here’s hoping!
I’ve just signed the petition and urge anyone else to do the same too. It’s extremely unfair that we in BC don’t get anything for our efforts to get people into ev’s.

Reactions: Brendanols