Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Britishvolt: Electric car battery plant gets government funding

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Electric car battery plant gets £100m government funding, along with £1.7bn in proposed private funding. First of many UK battery production plants?

BBC News : Britishvolt: Electric car battery plant gets government funding

EA9E9BAB-5376-480F-A61F-95F1DE348E28.png

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Informative
Reactions: DeejUK and Mrklaw
I'd be interested to see their business plan. Is it . . . "to develop a better battery than Musk" OR "to produce batteries cheaper than the Chinese" OR both

Good luck to them I really DO hope they succeed at both

In the UK we have a wealth of talent and skills to compare with any country in the world. So the question we have to ask is, "Why are we always playing catch up"?
Expensive land, poor infrastructure, anti-intellectualism, anti-engineer, often hard to get finance (usually SMEs need to borrow against property, finance rarely based on the idea or company). No industrial policy. Short-termism. Rentierism mentality.

Bad middle/top management (some risk-averse, others claiming can-do attitude is enough, even if really daft ideas), pro-beancounter, farming subsidies/deals through old-boys network/corruption (I hope British Volt isn't one of them).

I agree, UK, has invented so much, but whether wartime computing, lead in jet airliners, 80s computing (huge number of kids with programming knowledge), it all gets squandered, rarely supported. USA goes all out to support own companies & squash competitors (Cisco/Huawei, farming).

I would do a lot of due diligence on BV if investing or supplying services on credit. Might all be fine, but well worth checking. I wish them the best of luck but I can't see what competitive advantages the UK has for battery production. If located near Scottish wind power, could use excess, but I don't think the Scot>Eng interconnects are good enough. It looks like Blythe may have been chosen due to closeness of Nissan and Norwegian electricity - en - North Sea Link Apart from lithium (Cornwall?). We don't have special access to minerals. UK has probably got good research in universities, some engineering at/near Nissan. Exporting is uncertain. Often which region/country dominates an industry comes down to a solid comparative advantage. I don't see one, but would like to. The more renewables, cell production in the UK, the better.

Previous chairman/founder has left.

But now the firm’s chairman and co-founder, Lars Carlstrom, 55, has stepped down after it emerged he was sentenced to eight months in prison and handed a four-year trading ban for tax fraud in the late 1990s. This was later reduced by a higher court to a conditional sentence and 60 hours community service.

He was later accused of acting negligently by Sweden’s tax authority over a separate unpaid tax bill for one of his companies in 2011.

The Swede also has links to Russian businessman Vladimir Antonov, the former Portsmouth FC owner who skipped English bail five years ago.

Following enquiries by the PA news agency, Carlstrom announced he would be stepping down with immediate effect, saying: ‘I don’t wish to become a distraction.’

He added: ‘I am aware of this minor allegation, that stems from over 25 years ago. Subsequently I have had endorsement from the Swedish government.

‘It has always been my intention to pass on the chairmanship of Britishvolt, once the company has been established.

‘Given the crucial importance of Britishvolt’s mission to put the UK at the forefront of the global battery industry, I don’t wish to become a distraction so I am stepping aside with immediate effect. Britishvolt will announce a new chairman shortly.’

First 2 don't have wikipedia entries - Meet The Team - Britishvolt

I'd be interested to see their business plan. Is it . . . "to develop a better battery than Musk" OR "to produce batteries cheaper than the Chinese" OR both
Good luck to them I really DO hope they succeed at both
I assume it would be a very challenging industry. Our local business Johnson Matthey sold their entire battery division because they could not complete with the Chinese.
It would be very touch fight starting from the ground?

Reactions: UkNorthampton
The BritishVolt website has many pictures of 2170 cells.. ... also the process of manufacture shows that these are standard cells, nothing new in the build or chemistry that I can see.

This seems to be a local solution to simply satisfy demand from existing UK manufacturers as they will be less able to import packs then export product without tariffs (Country of Origin rules/Brexit). For the same reasons these "Britishvolt" cells will doubtful be exported for other manufacturers in other markets.

As far as cost is concerned as long as it is lower than the tariffs that would otherwise apply on certain exports it will likely be advantageous to those manufacturers.

You have to wonder what their USP is? People don't usually buy on location any more, they buy on price.
A difficult speculation, but the cynic in me would assume a lot to do with back pocket brown envelopes and subsidies tied for the need for a certain percentage of car construction being within the UK and the political optic of 'levelling the north'.

A difficult speculation, but the cynic in me would assume a lot to do with back pocket brown envelopes and subsidies tied for the need for a certain percentage of car construction being within the UK and the political optic of 'levelling the north'.
Is that point the overriding one? Would an EV built in the UK would pass the import duty free bar for European export with a foreign made battery?. If not then you risk losing the whole industry without domestic battery production?

Reactions: roadcred
Just watched the news - the report was a number of new battery giga factories will be needed in the UK for all BEVs that are to be exported to the EU. apparently batteries made elsewhere in the world cant be used in any UK build that is intended to go into the EU.
Not a bad thing in itself if this is true as it will create a lot of jobs and built here will will be beneficial to UK and EU not only in terms of trade deals and balance of payments but in the overall wealth of the UK and development of our expertise.
About time the UK stopped sitting on the fence and invested in its people, its technology and our ingenuity to develop and lead the world with innovation and flair, we have always been able to do things better but usually our government allow those brains to be exported to other nations who show more faith in the product and invest to develop it - and then do it better.

Just watched the news - the report was a number of new battery giga factories will be needed in the UK for all BEVs that are to be exported to the EU. apparently batteries made elsewhere in the world cant be used in any UK build that is intended to go into the EU.
Not a bad thing in itself if this is true as it will create a lot of jobs and built here will will be beneficial to UK and EU not only in terms of trade deals and balance of payments but in the overall wealth of the UK and development of our expertise.
About time the UK stopped sitting on the fence and invested in its people, its technology and our ingenuity to develop and lead the world with innovation and flair, we have always been able to do things better but usually our government allow those brains to be exported to other nations who show more faith in the product and invest to develop it - and then do it better.
Unless there's some price advantage I'm not aware of, British cells won't be as cheap as others, so any car using them is at a price disadvantage. Also at a supply-risk disadvantage. I just don't see it working unless there's some great reason to make cells in the UK.

Reactions: Durzel
Probably will be some import tax unless its made in UK at some point to level the playing field
Having British as opposed to Chinese cells is important for EXPORT to EU Rules of origin for goods moving between the UK and EU

However, if British cells are more expensive, or supply is interrupted it leads to uncompetitive export cars. I can't see a compelling reason for British Volt's business. Good luck to them, but I wouldn't invest.

Looked at their career page/link to linkedin recruitment page. I'd say it's still early days, lots of senior roles still seem to be open. I would have thought they'd need several filled before they could do any detailed design.

I can't see any good info on what kind of cells they will be making, they have pics of prismatic/pouch (cuboid) and 2170 with BritishVolt logos. I would have thought that they should concentrate on one battery type at a time. They have a video of "man in labcoat" weighing 2170 cell. All a bit powerpoint/Nikola to me, but hope not.

Googling

1642778058470.png
1642778031140.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: roadcred
Not a bad solution - could sell the land for tree planting carbon offsets. Dunno what Northerners rant on about anyway.. I had a job up there for a few weeks 30 years ago and they already had roads, hardly a whippet in sight and no-one in clogs..
I tried darn sarf for 15yrs then sanity prevailed and I moved back up North. Clean air, water without limescale, green fields & yes we’ve had roads for quite some time. You can even drive on some without having to sniff the car in fronts arse at 2mph 🤣. Shhh though don’t want too many southerners seeing the light and moving away from the smoke. Bloody eastenders is already polluting the “proper” English language up here😉

• Funny
Reactions: ACarneiro
I was talking proper North - not Yorkshire - it's just a suburb of Leeds with a handy Spa at Harrogate for a quick Londoner's weekend away and home to the Baskerville's dogs and Heathcliff, Not that white rose growers deserve motors - just gives them ideas above station.
But there's no salvation in keeping Middlesborough and Newcastle is just uppity - only point in keeping it is for a garrison to keep Scotch people their side of wall.🤣
🤣

I was talking proper North - not Yorkshire - it's just a suburb of Leeds with a handy Spa at Harrogate for a quick Londoner's weekend away and home to the Baskerville's dogs and Heathcliff, Not that white rose growers deserve motors - just gives them ideas above station.
But there's no salvation in keeping Middlesborough and Newcastle is just uppity - only point in keeping it is for a garrison to keep Scotch people their side of wall.🤣
🤣
Coming from a sheep cuddler that’s quite a statement. I went there once, apparently you have an EV charger somewhere in there don’t you🤣. Why do sheep n carts need roads & electric anyway?
Just a buffer to keep the Atlantic from washing England away🤫🤫