Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Britishvolt: Electric car battery plant gets government funding

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As I understand it, only if the car is then exported to the EU or sold domestically in UK.

If you build a BEV in UK with an EU battery, and export it to USA for example, you could hit country of origin issues.
Well, use EU-made batteries on approx 55% of your exports. 1% use Israeli batteries...

Oh and all the other components need to be tracked (digital twin required).

Too much trade friction to be efficient. It's pointless unless things change.

That's another reason why I couldn't believe BritishVolt was a serious idea & it just seemed like a way to fleece desperate government & investors.

Bought out of administration by a fledgling Australian company with a different focus. Static storage will certainly be a decent market even if the product does not initially end up in vehicles.

Hopefully not a case of the blind leading the blind though. Not really sure what validated technology really means and what it brings to the party.

Last edited:
Bought out of administration by a fledgling Australian company with a different focus. Static storage will certainly be a decent market even if the product does not initially end up in vehicles.

Hopefully not a case of the blind leading the blind though. Not really sure what validated technology really means and what it brings to the party.

The whole point was to support the car industry to allow uk manufacturers to stay under the %domestic content needed to skirt eu imports l. So while this is good news. Back to square one on that front

Screenshot 2023-02-27 at 09.26.27.png

Using potatoes and lemons weren't we.

Either way it's frustrating, just fumble after fumble. There is a load of techno-finance-babble but I'm assuming their validated technology is providing static and mobile storage to the defence industry ("cells, packs and racks").