Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Broke that damn glass roof a 2nd time!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That glass roof is too fragile. I have 41,000 miles on my M3 and just broke it a 2nd time. It's about $1000 a pop.

So much for the car having low maintenance costs.......

What is causing the breaks? Road debris? Spontaneous combustion? Or are you just being careless and hitting the roof with things (tools, coffee mugs, basketballs)?

Last edited:
Reactions: brkaus
Plenty on here don't baby their EVs, they go further - straight to garage queen or museum and auction showpiece status. PPFed, coated, recoated, sealed, nano-waxed... with factory protective film still in place where possible. More Ks in mods than miles on the virtual ODO and still going strong.

The other end of the spectrum and silent majority, uses these things as their econobox daily driver cars. Dings, dents, pits, scratches, filthy interiors, bent and curb rashed wheels, 10 updates behind and not one setting changed from factory defaults.

Sorry to hear about your roof glass.

Last edited:
Plenty on here don't baby their EVs, they go further - straight to garage queen or museum and auction showpiece status. PPFed, coated, recoated, sealed, nano-waxed... with factory protective film still in place where possible. More Ks in mods than miles on the virtual ODO and still going strong.

The other end of the spectrum and silent majority, uses these things as their econobox daily driver cars. Dings, dents, pits, scratches, filthy interiors, bent and curb rashed wheels, 10 updates behind and not one setting changed from factory defaults.

Sorry to hear about your roof glass.

There are people like me in the middle of your polarized examples. My car has PPF, ceramic coat and has 80,000 miles in two years. It looks almost brand new, which was the whole idea since I loathe waxing cars and I don’t want this thing turning into a beat up jalopy.

The rear glass has been replaced once due to a rock chip turning into a long crack in the outer pane of glass. Now the inner pane has a small stress crack along the lower edge... we’ll see if it gets worse.