TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Broke that damn glass roof a 2nd time!

Discussion in 'Model 3: Interior & Exterior' started by cstork, Oct 18, 2020.

1. cstork

cstork Supporting Member

That glass roof is too fragile. I have 41,000 miles on my M3 and just broke it a 2nd time. It's about $1000 a pop.

So much for the car having low maintenance costs.......

• Informative x 1
    • Funny x 1
  2. cypho

cypho Member

#2 cypho, Oct 18, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
    What is causing the breaks? Road debris? Spontaneous combustion? Or are you just being careless and hitting the roof with things (tools, coffee mugs, basketballs)?

• Like x 1
  3. Thunder7ga

Thunder7ga Member

What has happened each time to do this? I have 54k on mine, and no issues at all. And, most of those miles were going through downtown ATL every weekday.

• Like x 1
  4. Xenoilphobe

Xenoilphobe Active Member

Quit playing with fart app! Sorry to hear about this.

• Funny x 2
  5. KenC

KenC Active Member

He's in Colorado, probably chipping it, when putting his mountain bike on the roof rack.

• Like x 4
    • Funny x 1
  6. cstork

cstork Supporting Member

Why yes. Mountain bike was the 2nd time. Kayak was the first time. Do you guys baby your cars?

• Informative x 2
  7. Perscitus

Perscitus Member

#7 Perscitus, Oct 18, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
    Plenty on here don't baby their EVs, they go further - straight to garage queen or museum and auction showpiece status. PPFed, coated, recoated, sealed, nano-waxed... with factory protective film still in place where possible. More Ks in mods than miles on the virtual ODO and still going strong.

The other end of the spectrum and silent majority, uses these things as their econobox daily driver cars. Dings, dents, pits, scratches, filthy interiors, bent and curb rashed wheels, 10 updates behind and not one setting changed from factory defaults.

Sorry to hear about your roof glass.

• Like x 3
    • Informative x 1
  8. North75

North75 Member

Yes. Knowing that the glass roof can break, I'm as careful as possible when putting my bike up there.
    I've broken mine once, but it was from a rock that got deflected off of the roof rack. Can't do much about that.

9. cypho

cypho Member

I don't baby the car, but I also don't drop 50lb items on the glass.

• Like x 6
    • Funny x 3
  10. bpobill

bpobill Member

sounds like you might need a different vehicle. Broken glass from improper use really isn’t maintenance....

11. bpobill

bpobill Member

The suspension is way too fragile! I took my model 3 rock crawling and broke the suspension and punctured the battery. So much for low maintenance....

• Funny x 7
    • Like x 1
  12. Vaillant

Vaillant Member

I wonder if you can get a PPF for just that section of glass? Shoot, since it is a big and flat area, seems like you could do it yourself

13. BioSehnsucht

BioSehnsucht Model 3 LR

If it works for headlights... it won't necessarily protect it from bashing it with something, but should at least help with rocks and such.

14. cstork

cstork Supporting Member

I didn't drop the kayak or the bike on the roof. In both cases it was a small item falling 6-12 inches and hitting the glass just right.

• Informative x 1
  15. KenC

KenC Active Member

In that case, maybe a sheet of Xpel or similar would be useful.

16. Big Earl

Big Earl bnkwupt

There are people like me in the middle of your polarized examples. My car has PPF, ceramic coat and has 80,000 miles in two years. It looks almost brand new, which was the whole idea since I loathe waxing cars and I don’t want this thing turning into a beat up jalopy.

The rear glass has been replaced once due to a rock chip turning into a long crack in the outer pane of glass. Now the inner pane has a small stress crack along the lower edge... we’ll see if it gets worse.

17. adrianp89

adrianp89 Member

You dropped something on glass from a foot above it... and you're upset that it broke?

Tesla people really are entitled.

• Like x 1
  18. TLLMRRJ

TLLMRRJ Active Member

Yeah, don't do that. Problem solved.

• Like x 2
  19. airbrett

airbrett Member

Does the insurance cover this under comprehensive? Usually the deductible is much lower than $1000 and it doesn’t count against your accident claims.

20. TLLMRRJ

TLLMRRJ Active Member

It does.