Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Broken Brand New Tesla, and what will happen next (updating Dec 16th)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On Nov 27 morning, I took the delivery of a demo 2019 model s performance.

On Nov 28. I found my car has very severe GPS issue, the car could not locate itself, hence triggering lots of false voice command and autopilot issue. The problem is so obvious that made me suspect that the delivery/service team in Lawrence never tested or inspected the car before the delivery ( I bought a demo car).

Here is how it looks on Nov 28th:

Car under fix Nov 29 to Dec 04 (6 days)

On Nov 29, I have to put my car back to dealer to fix IN THE THIRD DAY AFTER DELIVERY. And the service said the antenna was broken, and they have to replace it as well as the rear glass. The fix took 6 days, picked up the car on Dec 4th. I talked to the manager in Tesla Lawrence to get a full inspection reports since the delivery inspection missed this obvious issue. My request got rejected.

I Drove the car from Dec 05 to Dec 08 Found the same issue happened again.
Car found the similar issue again on Highway, car thought it was on a local road, and did a sudden brake on highway at 120km/h on autopilot, I have react after to avoid the car behind me to rear-end me. The same problem happened 2 more times on the same day.

Here is how it looks on Dec 08

Car under fix Dec 09 to Dec 14 (6 days)

Tesla Lawrence Service asked me to do GPS tracking on my car after they release the car to me. I refused the request due to privacy concerns. And I do not think clients' privacy should not be the cost of fixing a factory defect. I was notified to picked up the car on Dec 13th, I asked about what fix has been applied to the car, service advisor told me that he does not know, no additional information could be provided. Engineers were working on it, the issue might be fix through a software update in following weeks.

I drove the car from Dec 15th to Dec 16th (today)

Here is how it looks on Dec 15th:

Here is how it looks on Dec 16th:

What next?

On Dec 13th, Consider I drove the car for only 5 days and the car has been under fixing for 12 days for my first 17 days of new delivery. I tried to contact Toronto regional manager Maire, first contact attempts was through Tesla online customer support on Dec 11th, and second attempt on Dec 13th. Did not hear anything back from her yet (as Dec 16th 4pm).

I want to discuss the refund or the exchange of the car, since the fix is not guaranteed, and I am paying 1450 per month for the car. Hopefully, I can get contact with her on next Monday. Will update the result.

• Informative
Reactions: Cheburashka
On Nov 27 morning, I took the delivery of a demo 2019 model s performance.

On Nov 28. I found my car has very severe GPS issue, the car could not locate itself, hence triggering lots of false voice command and autopilot issue. The problem is so obvious that made me suspect that the delivery/service team in Lawrence never tested or inspected the car before the delivery ( I bought a demo car).

Here is how it looks on Nov 28th:

Car under fix Nov 29 to Dec 04 (6 days)

On Nov 29, I have to put my car back to dealer to fix IN THE THIRD DAY AFTER DELIVERY. And the service said the antenna was broken, and they have to replace it as well as the rear glass. The fix took 6 days, picked up the car on Dec 4th. I talked to the manager in Tesla Lawrence to get a full inspection reports since the delivery inspection missed this obvious issue. My request got rejected.

I Drove the car from Dec 05 to Dec 08 Found the same issue happened again.
Car found the similar issue again on Highway, car thought it was on a local road, and did a sudden brake on highway at 120km/h on autopilot, I have react after to avoid the car behind me to rear-end me. The same problem happened 2 more times on the same day.

Here is how it looks on Dec 08

Car under fix Dec 09 to Dec 14 (6 days)

Tesla Lawrence Service asked me to do GPS tracking on my car after they release the car to me. I refused the request due to privacy concerns. And I do not think clients' privacy should not be the cost of fixing a factory defect. I was notified to picked up the car on Dec 13th, I asked about what fix has been applied to the car, service advisor told me that he does not know, no additional information could be provided. Engineers were working on it, the issue might be fix through a software update in following weeks.

I drove the car from Dec 15th to Dec 16th (today)

Here is how it looks on Dec 15th:

Here is how it looks on Dec 16th:

What next?

On Dec 13th, Consider I drove the car for only 5 days and the car has been under fixing for 12 days for my first 17 days of new delivery. I tried to contact Toronto regional manager Maire, first contact attempts was through Tesla online customer support on Dec 11th, and second attempt on Dec 13th. Did not hear anything back from her yet (as Dec 16th 4pm).

I want to discuss the refund or the exchange of the car, since the fix is not guaranteed, and I am paying 1450 per month for the car. Hopefully, I can get contact with her on next Monday. Will update the result.
Ugh, that's the hardest part I have wrapping my head around, you still need to make this huge payment for a car that doesn't work as expected, or you lose a bunch of time getting it serviced.

Sorry for the repetitive content. The original post does not allow me to edit for some reason.
And I do want to reorganize the original post for less negativity and more facts, and also make it easier to read.
I hope the whole story could help some people in the future (if they are as unfortunate as me)

Sucks to be going through this issue. I really do hope they fix it for you soon.

But that being said, I don't get why you're resistant to allowing them to do GPS tracking to fix a GPS issue. Perhaps they are trying to monitor if it becomes a recurring problem. There is nothing to say you can't rescind that explicit permission once you're satisfied with the fix. Really, this is something that happens by default with all Tesla's anyway, in a somewhat sanitized, metadata kind of way. If you don't trust Tesla with explicit tracking of the vehicle due to privacy concerns when it is already done implicitly, perhaps a Tesla isn't the car for you -- if privacy is indeed an issue.

Have they been able to repeat said issue? Also I dont quiet understand the concern about privacy when you are driving around in a piece of technology that can ba tracked already.
Yes, they did a 6 days extensive test on the car, reproduced the issue multiple times.

"Engineering has this issue under investigation. are they ok to turn ok GPS tracking on your vehicle after your car is released? It would help with finding the route case"

I am ok with what they need to do to fix the problem in the shop, GPS tracking, rip the car apart, whatever it takes. But when the car is finished, it just should be like any other Tesla on the road. Not Tesla's local (Toronto) route information gathering machine. I think it is not too much to ask...

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: TSLA Pilot
Sucks to be going through this issue. I really do hope they fix it for you soon.

But that being said, I don't get why you're resistant to allowing them to do GPS tracking to fix a GPS issue. Perhaps they are trying to monitor if it becomes a recurring problem. There is nothing to say you can't rescind that explicit permission once you're satisfied with the fix. Really, this is something that happens by default with all Tesla's anyway, in a somewhat sanitized, metadata kind of way. If you don't trust Tesla with explicit tracking of the vehicle due to privacy concerns when it is already done implicitly, perhaps a Tesla isn't the car for you -- if privacy is indeed an issue.
No... they want to keep tracking after the fix, to gather more local route information (GPS related info tho)
Because I said no to them, thus they keep the car for 6 days, to allow the technician to do the road test instead of me driving to test. I think it is a fair play. I agree GPS tracking is 100% necessary, but it should be limited to the usage of fixing the issue fo the car...

You want them to verify your GPS but you don't want them to know what the GPS says?
They don't want to check the car themselves because lemon laws usually include time in service calculations. He is not obligated to help them avoid servicing the car. He was right to make them keep the car on their clock for this service time.

They don't want to check the car themselves because lemon laws usually include time in service calculations. He is not obligated to help them avoid servicing the car. He was right to make them keep the car on their clock for this service time.
Unfortunately, in Canada, we do not have lemons law. Now, I am basically begging for regional manager to contact me and discuss if she can enforce the preparing process or refund the car...
Folk in Canada, if you would be unlucky like me (Knock on the wood), it would NOT be easy to be in control of everything after you hand-in the money. Please double check your car before the delivery...

I would have done the 7 day return on the car. If people keep taking the bad cars than Tesla has no incentive to fix their production issues. I had some noises and was thinking about returning but it turns out it was just my ICE side of the brain.
Thats basically what I am doing right now, but the store leader said only the regional manager has the authority to approve my refund. I tried to contact her since Dec 13, still not hearing back any word from her yet as Dec 17th. Will update how it goes in this posting..

ok. I have not tried recently, but in the past The location system doesn’t handle reverse properly. It considers it going forward. So if I back down a long driveway it will show the car moving forward and get offset from actual position. It eventually figures it out and snaps back.

• Informative
Reactions: bhzmark
ok. I have not tried recently, but in the past The location system doesn’t handle reverse properly. It considers it going forward. So if I back down a long driveway it will show the car moving forward and get offset from actual position. It eventually figures it out and snaps back.
My issue was quite obvious when I make turns, I suspect that might be some issue involving the rotation sensor at the axle. I tried to call the service this morning to tell them my finding of the patterns , but the advisor insist that they did a test on the sensor, there is no error, and they sounds pretty confident about the firmware issue they concluded.. I was like... fine... sure...