Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Broken charger head on Wall charger plug - Replaceable?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I've had a Tesla for a long time. I got my first Model S back in 2013 and back then I remember how tough it was finding an electrician to install these Tesla high power wall chargers. Now it's simple. Mine works fine except over the years, the actual plug in where you plug the car into the car has broken. I found many times the plastic would be very hot during/after charging. It seems like that plastic piece has now broken to the point that the plastic piece around has fallen off.

I can push it into place into the car and it will charge but now it's to the point of falling off. I don't think Tesla sells just the cable with the hose do they? It seems like a total waste to have to buy a whole new wall charger due to this plastic piece.

Has anyone had this happen to them? If so, what does an electrician charge simply to install the new wall charger? I called one that wants close to $300. (That's on top of having to buy a new wall charger). I'd be curious if anyone else had the issue and where you able to get a new plug/hose without having to buy an entire new wall charger?

Attachments

• IMG_5807.JPG
    IMG_5807.JPG
    544.9 KB · Views: 346
  • IMG_5808.JPG
    IMG_5808.JPG
    303.4 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:
It's really easy to replace the top part of the wall connector. It's for bolts, pull out, and push the new one in. The part on the secured to the wall (and has the wiring to the panel) stays on the wall. It's literally a 10 minute job. YOU NEED TO TURN OFF THE CIRCUIT BREAKER FIRST before you do anything. If you know which breaker and can turn it off, you can replace it. But unfortunately, it seems you have to buy the whole unit.

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
So I've had a Tesla for a long time. I got my first Model S back in 2013 and back then I remember how tough it was finding an electrician to install these Tesla high power wall chargers. Now it's simple. Mine works fine except over the years, the actual plug in where you plug the car into the car has broken. I found many times the plastic would be very hot during/after charging. It seems like that plastic piece has now broken to the point that the plastic piece around has fallen off.

I can push it into place into the car and it will charge but now it's to the point of falling off. I don't think Tesla sells just the cable with the hose do they? It seems like a total waste to have to buy a whole new wall charger due to this plastic piece.

Has anyone had this happen to them? If so, what does an electrician charge simply to install the new wall charger? I called one that wants close to $300. (That's on top of having to buy a new wall charger). I'd be curious if anyone else had the issue and where you able to get a new plug/hose without having to buy an entire new wall charger?
Pretty sure you can order just the cable and plug. It should be a reasonably easy DIY project to replace it.

It's really easy to replace the top part of the wall connector. It's for bolts, pull out, and push the new one in. The part on the secured to the wall (and has the wiring to the panel) stays on the wall. It's literally a 10 minute job. YOU NEED TO TURN OFF THE CIRCUIT BREAKER FIRST before you do anything. If you know which breaker and can turn it off, you can replace it. But unfortunately, it seems you have to buy the whole unit.
It’s only a quick ten minute job if youre replacing a wall connector with a new one of the same generation. If you’re going from a Gen 1 to a Gen 3 it will take closer to 30 minutes since then while mount has to be replaced. Expect an electrician to charge for an hour of work, around $100-150.

It’s only a quick ten minute job if youre replacing a wall connector with a new one of the same generation. If you’re going from a Gen 1 to a Gen 3 it will take closer to 30 minutes since then while mount has to be replaced. Expect an electrician to charge for an hour of work, around $100-150.
Ahh, good point. I forgotten that the OP's connecter would have been an older gen.

If you're willing to wait, occasionally broken ones show up on eBay, might be cheaper than getting new cable.
Older Gen1/2 replacement cables might not even be available...

Here's current Gen1 listing:

Or it might be time to upgrade and get Gen3 :)
If you go for used Gen3 (stay away from -F part number)

To anyone else reading this thinking they will just replace the cable, good luck finding one. Tesla doesn't sell just the cable, and finding one online for sale is tough. When you do find a cable on eBay from time to time, they are super expensive $150-$200 and up. I have 3 HPWC I would love to fix as the only thing wrong is abused cables (from former destination charging location) but I can't find a replacement cable to save my life. Especially considering the new Gen 3 is fairly priced.

Last edited: