TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

broken clips when removing interior panels

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by dark, Oct 23, 2014.

1. dark

dark Member

Hi Guys, I see many of you did modification to your car, such as car camera, upgrade sound...etc. All those work require remove of the interior panels which held by those blue clips.

Recently, I installed a subwoofer and added 2 speakers to the lift gate. During the installation, I would say 80% of the blue clips were damaged when I remove the panels.

Do you guys have this problem? Do you go buy new ones from the service center? Am I doing something wrong?

2. swegman

swegman Member

Check with artsci. He can give you the Toyota (or was it Amazon) part number for buying new clips. They often do break when the panels are removed.

3. steve841

steve841 Active Member

Just out of curiosity ... what speakers did you add to the lift gate?

4. JohnQ

JohnQ Active Member

Yes, much more info needed here! Please start a new thread with lots of details.

5. artsci

artsci Sponsor

You need a box of Auveco retainer clips, part number 20633 (these are listed for Toyota but work perfectly on the Model S for the lift gate trim and a variety of other applications).

6. MoeMistry

MoeMistry Local Vendor - SoCal

Great link Rick....we have a healthy stock of clips, of all sorts for the MS, that we've purchased from Tesla. Nice to see this site for future reference.

Breaking the clips sometimes goes with the territory depending on which ones. Nice thing is, they can be replaced easily. Just be careful not to break the slot it goes into or rub your tool against the metal/plastic surface they pop into. That's why we always use plastic tools

7. dark

dark Member

Aetsci, how about the blue chips that holds the door sill panels? I broke some of those too.

JohnQ, as for my lift gate speakers, I haven't finish the installation, hopefully will be done today and I can start to tune the sound and start a new topic.

8. steve841

steve841 Active Member

I think we're interested in "which" speakers you went with.

• Like x 1
  9. artsci

artsci Sponsor

The Auveco ones will work there too. I know -- I've used them many times:)

- - - Updated - - -

I bought from Tesla a few months ago a complete set of clips for the entire car ... just in case. A number have rubber washers on the base, probably to prevent rattles and other annoying small noises.

• Informative x 1
  10. dark

dark Member

Complete set of chips? How much does it cost?

11. Klaus

Klaus Member

I got the Toyota clips from here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0040CTTH4/

I downloaded the spec sheet and compared the different types and sizes. These ones fit perfectly, and match the Auveco ones that artsci listed.

314ijBMtyFL.jpg

12. artsci

artsci Sponsor

I didn't add it up as they were provided with a number of other parts but I'm guessing $200-300.

13. tdelta1000

tdelta1000 Active Member

Here are a few links that may help someone that may run into this issue again:

Clips and Fasteners

Clip House

No affiliations...just helping fellow TM enthusiast.

14. petersv

petersv Member

Anyone know where to get this type of clip?

[​IMG]

15. petersv

petersv Member

Spec: TESLA 1025401-00-A Plastic Clip. This white nylon door trim panel retainer features a 17mm stem length, 16mm top head diameter, and is designed for a 9mm hole size.

16. 69VanNuys

69VanNuys Member

Petersv, do you or anyone else have the Spec for the blue clip from Tesla? Thanks

17. petersv

petersv Member

Actually I do:

TESLA 1011813-00-A Plastic Clip. This turquoise nylon door trim panel retainer features a 14mm stem length, 13mm top head diameter, and is designed for an 8.5mm hole size.

They are the same as these for Toyota, order them from any of the sellers here:

Retainer Clips 90467-10188 | eBay

18. TJespersen

TJespersen New Member

19. ebrown7b

ebrown7b Member

#19 ebrown7b, Nov 27, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
    I need both the clips in this picture. Can folks confirm that the blue clip is the same as the Toyota part mentioned previously (Amazon.com: 25 Toyota Trim Panel Retainer Clips 90467-10188 Sienna: Automotive)? I notice that none of the referenced sites / parts have the foam gasket like this one does. Assuming the parts are the same, I should be able to move the gasket to the new clips when present as I haven't lost any of the blue ones, I've just broken them. Are there other options / considerations for the gasket? Also, I need the metal clip as well as a few have pulled off when removing the panels and either have disappeared or are bent out of shape enough that they won't work properly any more. Does anybody have a source for those metal clips?

fullsizeoutput_739b.jpeg

20. petersv

petersv Member

I believe that the Toyota ones are the same, just move over the gasket. Don't know where to get the metal clips, but maybe Tesla sells them cheaply?