TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

broken front wheel stud

Discussion in 'Model S' started by mckemie, Oct 15, 2016.

Tags:
  1. mckemie

mckemie Member

Well, the title says it. Now, with a four month stack up at my service center, I seek a non-Tesla solution. Does anyone know if the front studs (not D) are a Mercedes item? If so, which Mercedes?

2. artsci

artsci Sponsor

You don't need a SC to fix this. Replacing a wheel stud is a piece of cake for any competent shop.

• Like x 1
  3. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 918 Hybrid

Attached Files:

4. Russell

Russell Supporting Member

What did you end up doing to fix this? Warranty or not?

I just got a broken stud on a rear side. As I was torquing it to 129 ft-lbs the force started to drop then the lug nut began to tilt.
    This didn't seem right so I attempted to back it out then the stud broke.
    I can see rust where the stud broke.

5. mckemie

mckemie Member

It turns out, the stud was ok. I thought I was going to have to ruin it to get a buggered nut off. I bought a buggered nut removal tool which worked. As I recall, I also bought a used hub with the intention of taking a stud out of it. Do you want me to see if I can find that hub?

BTW, the early Ss had REALLY crappy soft lug nuts. I think they could be used four or five times before the corners rounded off. For a while, I carried that nut removal tool and some spare nuts. Tesla eventually replaced the crappy nuts with good ones.

6. Russell

Russell Supporting Member

You don't have to look for the hub just yet. I took the wheel off and inspected the remaining studs and 2 of them feel like the threads are not smooth anymore. I need to figure out if I'm going to replace those studs or the whole hub. Thanks for offering.

7. mckemie

mckemie Member

I am reminded that tire shops tend to over torque lug nuts. I think that, in combination with crappy lug nuts, was the source of the above described problems. Probably, the broken stud(s) also. Several times I've found myself doing a roadside wheel change and barely able to take the lug nuts off. Best to carry a heavy lug wrench. I've found the "gorilla" wrenches with extensible handles to be pretty good. It is also best to not get away from a tire shop until you are sure that whatever lug wrench you are carrying is capable of loosening the lugs.

I believe tire shops tend to over torque because of liability problems with under torqued nuts that have resulted in wheels coming off while under way.