Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Broken FWD Glass - advice really appreciated

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have had our model X since September and only had a few minor problems. This weekend my daughter who was sitting in the middle row looked up and noticed that the rectangular piece of glass above her head on the falcon wing door was cracked from front to back the entire length of the pane. You cannot feel it from the inside, but only from outside on the roof. I took it to my local service center for them to look at today, and was surprised that the advisor said it was rock damage and gave us an estimate of $640 to replace it. We haven't been near any golf courses, and I am a little perplexed how they would think a rock would come in on a trajectory with enough force to crack the glass on the roof panel versus some sort of door stress, and so might happen again.

Has this glass cracked on anyone else? Do you feel it a reasonable assumption of the service department as to the cause, and I should just pay it, or push up the service chain? I may be off base, but it seemed like such a strange thing to think that a rock would come in at that angle and with enough force that we would not have heard it. Thats why I am asking for everyone else experiences and insight.

Thanks

Have you driven the car on the highway in the presence of other vehicles? Small rocks can easily get kicked up high and with velocity by preceding vehicles, and if it hits the glass just right it can initiate a crack. At least it wasn't the windshield, and maybe your insurance will cover it.

tl;dr: s#!t happens