Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Broken garage door opener

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,
I have owned Model 3 for exactly 1 week today. This has already happened twice. I have programmed 2 garage door openers. Doors were opening and closing as expected. Both in automatic (on approach) and manual mode. And then, all of a sudden for no apparent reason, door don't open anymore. I see the 2 door opener in green. Taping on them does not simulate the signal animation and doors don't move either. Parked the car and after lock / unlock sequence, no change. Still broken.

I rebooted the car and problem went away. 2 days later, happened again. Again, got frustrated and rebooted the car and we are in business.

Anyone else seen this? Any workarounds?

Thanks,

Manishee

Hi,
I have owned Model 3 for exactly 1 week today. This has already happened twice. I have programmed 2 garage door openers. Doors were opening and closing as expected. Both in automatic (on approach) and manual mode. And then, all of a sudden for no apparent reason, door don't open anymore. I see the 2 door opener in green. Taping on them does not simulate the signal animation and doors don't move either. Parked the car and after lock / unlock sequence, no change. Still broken.

I rebooted the car and problem went away. 2 days later, happened again. Again, got frustrated and rebooted the car and we are in business.

Thanks,

Manishee
We picked up our Model 3 two days ago and I've already had to re-set Home Link three times. Each time I re-set the Home Link programming, it works for a limited time (hours), and then the icon remains (green), but the 'send' signal bars simply no longer populate, suggesting the signal isn't being broadcast or received either by our new Tesla or our door's main console. We apparently are not alone, but I haven't found a 'fix' that is lasting or reliable posted so far in TMC or other forums, including the Home Link website. HELP!

• Informative
Reactions: LadyMacbrat
Hi,

Thanks,

Manishee

Just happened to me for the first time. Apparently I'm encountering every bug being reported on the forums. Lucky me. It is like an ant hill, full of bugs. I suspect that the workaround is to reboot daily. It is like a pre Windows XP computer that you have to reboot a couple times a day.

Yep, similar problem. Programmed Homelink easily, lasted about about a week, then started working when it felt like it, now not at all. I've gone through the process several times of programming it. The icon is green and flashes its little bars but nothing happens with the garage door. The remote works fine, so it's clearly Homelink.

Folks, don't have a single answer for your issues, but I do recommend that you check your garage door opener's light bulb. Make sure its not LED. Its a known issue that some Homelink signals don't work or don't work all the time when the opener light is LED. CLF will work, and there's a few approved LEDs for openers. About $10 on Amazon. Maybe its not your problem, but maybe it is.

Homelink signals are one-way, there isn't any 'response' that the door opener sends back to the Tesla (on any system I'm aware of). If you don't get the 'signal' bars when you click on it, it's an issue with the UI, not the garage door opener.

I've had this happen a few times myself. A simple reboot of the infotainment (hold down both steering wheel controls) fixed it. I saw this more on older firmware (21.x). Haven't had it happen recently.

Reactions: APotatoGod
Folks, don't have a single answer for your issues, but I do recommend that you check your garage door opener's light bulb. Make sure its not LED. Its a known issue that some Homelink signals don't work or don't work all the time when the opener light is LED. CLF will work, and there's a few approved LEDs for openers. About $10 on Amazon. Maybe its not your problem, but maybe it is.
Hey, great tip! I do have LEDs in there. I'll with them out and see what happens.

I had an issue right after putting in LED bulbs I bought at the local store. The opener worked very intermittently. I did find these online and I haven't had the issue since. Am I allowed to post this???

https://www.amazon.com/Equivalent-Ultra-Bright-Daylight-Non-Dimmable-UL-listed/dp/B01LPLJZGC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1535032896&sr=8-1&keywords=torchstar+garage+door+opener+led+bulb+100w&th=1
Interesting. I'd not heard of that one. I'd heard of LED Light Bulb for Garage Door Openers | Exclusively from Genie.

I have had a CFL in my garage door opener for AGES and not had any trouble with it. Haven't tried LEDs yet. Fortunately, I have lots of CFLs lying around I could try when my current one burns out.

Homelink V5 is two way. I talked about this in another thread. It has been out for 5 years and looks like Tesla doesn’t use it. I have a two way opener.

Good to know; I stand corrected. That being said, it's probably reasonable to assume that most folks have a 'dumb' system. Garage door openers and their ilk aren't exactly known for going for the latest and greatest tech... Unless you have a remote and know its a two-way system, it's gonna be the usual fare.

Does your two way opener still connect with the Tesla system (i.e. the Tesla opener now operates like a normal single button)?

Good to know; I stand corrected. That being said, it's probably reasonable to assume that most folks have a 'dumb' system. Garage door openers and their ilk aren't exactly known for going for the latest and greatest tech... Unless you have a remote and know its a two-way system, it's gonna be the usual fare.

Does your two way opener still connect with the Tesla system (i.e. the Tesla opener now operates like a normal single button)?

I will not receive my Model 3D until Sept. 10th so I don't know yet. The two way communication can be extended to Apple's HomeKit which I've done. So I can ask Siri the status of my garage door or to open or close it from my watch or phone from anywhere. The garage door opener is a lot smarter these days. My 15 year old garage door opener recently died so I replaced it with a Chamberlain B970 because I wanted the built in battery backup plus I purchased the MYQ Home Bridge for the Homekit. This is the first opener I've owned that connected to Wi-Fi.

Sadly my 2012 Infiniti G37x would not open the door because the Homekit is version 3. All the new doors support rolling codes so people can't use replay attacks on the opener. I'll probably buy a newer mirror for it since they are pretty much plug and play. For now I have a $25 Homelink Compatibility bridge in place so it works. Since that lowers the security of the system I will remove it in the coming months.

I didn't know any of this until researching a new opener a couple months ago.

I have wondered more than once if there's a pattern to something on the car works and then does not work, and maybe I am not seeing it.

Here's the bottom line. You can read my reasoning below if you wish. But here's what worked for me. I needed for the garaged door not to close - once, so I pressed Skip. Next time I expected it to auto close, it didn't. I have learned that when I drive out of the garage, after a skip, I must re-engage the auto close by using the Homelink choice (with my finger) to send the signal to close the door. Now each time that I expect auto close to work, it does. Short version. During one exit, I skipped auto close. After that it would not auto close. (It remembered that skip and did auto close again.) To get it to start auto closing again, I had to manually close the door with the Homelink choice as I pulled away from the garage. I guess that once I turned it off (skipped), it remained off (skipping) until I manually reset or turned it back on. I did it a couple more times to get the pattern figured out. (Ta-Daaa).

How I did it.
I brought home a new '17 in March of '17. After programming the Homelink and setting up auto open and auto close, have not and a single hiccup since. Then. A couple of weeks ago a friend brought his MS over and needed my garage, so for the first time in I can't remember how long, I had to "Skip" the auto close for him. After he left, I pulled back in. The next time I opened my usual way with a remote or the wall mounted opener, but the auto close did not engage. Hmmm. First time in a very long time.

I had time to mess with this, I wanted to get far enough away so the GPS was reset (so to speak), I drove around the block and came back. Auto open still functioned. Pulled in and closed with the remote. I particularly wanted to mimic my usual method, - I will call this my "setup". 1. I got out and closed the car door. 2. Used the wall mounted switch to open the garage door. 3. Got in the car, buckled up and put the car in Drive. We all know what usually occurs. The Homelink screen feature opens and we see the choices and there's the Skip button. But nada, not this time. Hmmm, sometimes it does not show but is still engaged. I pulled out and traveled more than twice the distance required for the chime to occur and the door to auto close. Didn't.

Trying to fix this, I wanted to follow a pattern. I used my extra in-car hand held remote to close the door. I drove around the block and came back. Auto open triggered and I backed in to the garage as usual. I went through setup again 1,2,3. This time, I rebooted the center console and instrument cluster. After waiting for everything to come back up, I put the car in Drive and pulled out. I expected Homelink choice to appear and auto close to occur. It did not. Rebooting the center console or instrument cluster didn't help. Scratch that off the list.

Around the block, auto open worked and backed in again. Out of the car, closed the garage door to setup again. Setup, 1,2,3. This time as I was pulling out, I pressed Homelink to see the choices. I selected my Home choice and saw the car's icon emulate sending the signal to the opener. It closed. I drove around the block and back. Auto close opened the door and I backed in. Got out, and used the wall mounted switch to close the door.

Once more, I walked through setup 1,2,3. This time when I pulled out of the garage, the Homelink icon opened on its own and I saw the Skip button as the car counted down feet remaining before it auto closed. Its working again. If I turned it off once with Skip, it remained off until I turned it back on by selecting close as I pulled out.. Was this permanent, was it going to work next time? The garaged door is closed, I drove around the block and came back. Auto open worked, and I backed in. Got out, closed the door. Then walked through setup 1,2,3 again. Worked again. Did it one more time, still working.

I've not seen this written anywhere, but it appears that if we Skip once, it stays "skipped/skipping" until we turn it back on with a manual close as we pull the car out.

Maybe some of this is compounded with different versions of firmware. Who knows, but I 'broke' mine and fixed it while on the same version, so maybe this will help anyway.

Now, if you are game or are having trouble with yours, please try this and see if it helps. Then post it here and let us know it worked from someone else so we know more. Thanks.