Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Broken Glass

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanksgiving, ready to go to our gathering. Press the button to open the lift-gate. A loud pop comes along.
The glass window got pressed against the sheet-metal, chattering.
How is that possible??
Tesla is coming to pick my car Monday to find out...

IMG_0491.JPG IMG_0495 (1).JPG IMG_0501.JPG

Thanksgiving, ready to go to our gathering. Press the button to open the lift-gate. A loud pop comes along.
The glass window got pressed against the sheet-metal, chattering.
How is that possible??
Tesla is coming to pick my car Monday to find out...

View attachment 203745 View attachment 203746 View attachment 203747
I had this exact same thing happen.We could never figure out how it rubbed on glass/metal. That gap just seemed too large for either material to swell enough to make contact. The very best straw we could grasp at is that on the day it happened, it was one of the hottest on record and I had left the car parked outside for a prolonged period of time with the sun reflecting off the glass of the buildings, down to where the car was parked.

Nope, that's just a bad angle. That spot has *at least* a 1/4" gap between that body protrusion and the glass normally. Then again, that's exactly where mine cracked so what do I know.

Not a bad angle. The glass in there is 1/16" or less from the metal. The left side is 1/4", but the right side has a bump for the wiring grommet and is very close to the glass. I will take more pictures later. Tesla engineering will look at it in two weeks.
Whatever it was, disintegrated, because all that was there was glass.

Also not sure how something could stay there, as the grommet "bump" is quite round in shape.

Not a bad angle. The glass in there is 1/16" or less from the metal. The left side is 1/4", but the right side has a bump for the wiring grommet and is very close to the glass. I will take more pictures later. Tesla engineering will look at it in two weeks.
Whatever it was, disintegrated, because all that was there was glass.

Also not sure how something could stay there, as the grommet "bump" is quite round in shape.
VERY interesting that there are that different of tolerances between production runs.

Well, looks like the flexibility of the hinge and a push in the trunk is enough to replicate this problem.
If the liftgate is open all the way and you push it up, the glass in that point will touch the metal.
That may have happened the day before Thanksgiving with my car when friends were unloading some patio furniture. The pop I heard could just be the remaining glass being "grinded" there.