TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Broken Glass

Discussion in 'Model S' started by JetKit, Nov 27, 2016.

1. JetKit

JetKit Member

Thanksgiving, ready to go to our gathering. Press the button to open the lift-gate. A loud pop comes along.
    The glass window got pressed against the sheet-metal, chattering.
    How is that possible??
    Tesla is coming to pick my car Monday to find out...

IMG_0491.JPG IMG_0495 (1).JPG IMG_0501.JPG

2. Jeff4155

Jeff4155 Member

ouch, maybe a miss alignment with a few mm, glass doesn't bend so well.

3. rns-e

rns-e Member

Could there have been something stuck between the liftgate and the sheet-metal? A small stone or?

4. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

Something like a rock or an acorn....

5. Maximapolak

Maximapolak Member

Looks like something small went in there and it caused enough pressure to crack the glass (rock or something off a tree).

6. supratachophobia

supratachophobia Active Member

I had this exact same thing happen.We could never figure out how it rubbed on glass/metal. That gap just seemed too large for either material to swell enough to make contact. The very best straw we could grasp at is that on the day it happened, it was one of the hottest on record and I had left the car parked outside for a prolonged period of time with the sun reflecting off the glass of the buildings, down to where the car was parked.

7. mobe

mobe Member

Zoom in on pic two. Looks like it is hitting a sheet metal protrusion under the glass. Very odd.

8. supratachophobia

Nope, that's just a bad angle. That spot has *at least* a 1/4" gap between that body protrusion and the glass normally. Then again, that's exactly where mine cracked so what do I know.

9. JetKit

JetKit Member

Not a bad angle. The glass in there is 1/16" or less from the metal. The left side is 1/4", but the right side has a bump for the wiring grommet and is very close to the glass. I will take more pictures later. Tesla engineering will look at it in two weeks.
    Whatever it was, disintegrated, because all that was there was glass.

Also not sure how something could stay there, as the grommet "bump" is quite round in shape.

10. supratachophobia

VERY interesting that there are that different of tolerances between production runs.

11. JetKit

JetKit Member

Well, looks like the flexibility of the hinge and a push in the trunk is enough to replicate this problem.
    If the liftgate is open all the way and you push it up, the glass in that point will touch the metal.
    That may have happened the day before Thanksgiving with my car when friends were unloading some patio furniture. The pop I heard could just be the remaining glass being "grinded" there.

12. JetKit

JetKit Member

I don't know about that, but my measurement estimate is with the gate open all the way and the distance between the glass edge and sheet metal at that specific point (where the wiring goes in). With the gate closed, I would say 1/4" is about right from glass to glass (pano roof?)