Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Broken headlight adjuster?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have a 2018 p100d and when we got it the headlights were pointed pretty far down. So now that daylight savings time has hit, I decided to raise them. The passenger side moved up without a hitch, but the drivers side went up almost as high as the passenger side and then popped and fell. It's as if it came off the end of a screw and simply tilted downward. How can I fix this?

Reactions: jacie6056
We have a 2018 p100d and when we got it the headlights were pointed pretty far down. So now that daylight savings time has hit, I decided to raise them. The passenger side moved up without a hitch, but the drivers side went up almost as high as the passenger side and then popped and fell. It's as if it came off the end of a screw and simply tilted downward. How can I fix this?
This happened to me and don’t panic! I just fixed this by spraying wd40 in and around the adjustment screw. Then adjusted the screw DOWN not up. Again keep adjusting the light down you should see the light moving down but don’t over do it. After that adjust the light up. You should be good after that

Reactions: Cubu
This happened to me and don’t panic! I just fixed this by spraying wd40 in and around the adjustment screw. Then adjusted the screw DOWN not up. Again keep adjusting the light down you should see the light moving down but don’t over do it. After that adjust the light up. You should be good after that
I’m confused… my light is pointing down right now…. I’ll give your advice a shot, I got nothing to loose.

just want to report back! After turning the headlight adjuster all the way down to the ground. The headlight will suddenly pop right back to normal height and can be adjusted to a higher height position after.

But still can not be as high as the passenger side :rolleyes:

Reactions: Romand
Your adjuster ball end inside the headlight probably popped out of socket, maybe u went too high.
S/X use same adjuster i think, i had to pop mine back in too, i removed the adjuster, unwind the screw n insert it back
U can try doing what others suggested.
Look at 0:30 in this video

• Helpful
Reactions: ai4px and jacie6056
I have removed the headlight from the car and now see how the adjuster works. It's a screw with a ball on the end. The ball goes into a vertical cylinder that wraps about the ball sphere about 3/4 of the way. because the cylinder is open on one side, the ball can pull too hard and pop out. the solution indeed is to screw the adjuster downward until it forces the ball back into it's socket... then you can adjust the head light up again. Maybe this time you'll be smart enough to stop before the ball pops out again.

Hope this helps someone in the future.