Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Broken hitch bolt

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I (stupidly) broke One of the eight bolts holding on the hitch at the rear of the car. I found a replacement part but I can’t figure out how to access the rear frame rail where the bolts are connected. Would I be able to remove some of the carpeting and inner paneling near the trunk to access it? Can anyone let any assistance?

Attachments

• A26A63A4-3486-40E7-A595-D7ABFBA97748.jpeg
    A26A63A4-3486-40E7-A595-D7ABFBA97748.jpeg
    544.3 KB · Views: 138
  • A815F70A-B7B8-419D-9D3B-17E1D172E31A.jpeg
    A815F70A-B7B8-419D-9D3B-17E1D172E31A.jpeg
    361.8 KB · Views: 90
That’s an interesting one. Even if you were able to access the other side of the bolt there is no guarantee there are any threads poking through for you to work with.

You may need to drill through the bolt itself in order to remove it. I would take that one to a shop if you don’t have the appropriate tools on hand.

I would buy a quality bolt extractor which is basically a reverse threaded tool. If you are not comfortable with this I would pay somebody to do this for you. It's not difficult, but removing a broken bolt extractor from an existing bolt is even less fun.

Agreed. Thankfully the fact that it's a large-ish bolt helps to some degree, but if this is the first time doing a bolt extraction, not sure this is where I'd want to practice.

My only additional suggestion: Spray the bolt remainder down with a liberal amount (by which I mean a LOT) of Kroil. I put that sh** on everything!

Reactions: Jigglypuff
Get a spring loaded center punch and make a few indentations in the center of the bolt. Take a carbide or cobalt drill bit and drill down deep enough to get the screw extractor in the hole. Do not drill all the way through the bolt. Don't let the drill bit hit the threads of the hole. You may have to use a small drill bit at first then go a little bit larger on the next drill bit. Do not drill the side of the bolt you will tear up the threads in the hole

I (stupidly) broke One of the eight bolts holding on the hitch at the rear of the car. I found a replacement part but I can’t figure out how to access the rear frame rail where the bolts are connected. Would I be able to remove some of the carpeting and inner paneling near the trunk to access it? Can anyone let any assistance?
can you share your solution? I just installed my stealth hitch on t model 3 today, and one the bolts broke too.