Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

broken Lower latch cover on FWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I seem to be forever fixing small issues on my Model X.
This time it’s the Aluminium Falcon App I f Foir lower latch cover that seemed to fall apart in my hand when I touched it.
It looks like such a strong part but mine seems to have just shattered.
Anyone else come across this?

Attachments

• BC7D59AE-5BE9-4B82-9736-D6FF3CAD8ADD.jpeg
    BC7D59AE-5BE9-4B82-9736-D6FF3CAD8ADD.jpeg
    332.6 KB · Views: 410
Further to this I’ve seen afew people report that when the car is jacked on one corner they hear a crack soundand find a broken aluminium latch cover. my car was jacked up just a few days before.
I think that as the car is raised from one corner (rear left) it induces a twist which forces the falcon wing door to move and put a huge amount of force sideways on that latch cover.

thoughts?

That would mean turning on and off an incline will also cause this damage as one corner will be higher than the other.

So people should have their FWD opened when jacking(and dealing with incline/ramp turns)?

This happened to mine when it was near-new. I think it's a brittleness/heat treat problem. Replaced under warranty and been fine since. It just sortof started disassembling itself in pieces one day, no apparent cause other than Tesla being Tesla

This happened to my '17 X in 2019. It's a thick cast cast piece that's strong until it cracks. Then it falls apart. The ranger replaced it in about five minutes. Just remove the loose pieces and schedule a service. It should operate fine until you can get it replaced.