Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Broken Muffler - Windshield Chip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Driving home on 95 last night after visiting family, a pickup truck in the far right lane dropped its muffler with a huge shower of sparks as the hanger gave way and it was dragged. Although I was in the far left lane, a piece of debris kicked up and hit the windshield. Fortunately, it didn't hit the body panels. Got a nice gouge to show for it, will have to call insurance for a repair after I get back from vacation.

image.jpg

Driving home on 95 last night after visiting family, a pickup truck in the far right lane dropped its muffler with a huge shower of sparks as the hanger gave way and it was dragged. Although I was in the far left lane, a piece of debris kicked up and hit the windshield. Fortunately, it didn't hit the body panels. Got a nice gouge to show for it, will have to call insurance for a repair after I get back from vacation.

View attachment 38881

Nice, now you'll get a windshield replacement that won't block EZ Pass!

I got a windshield chip too; so I checked with Safelite (I'd had them replace a windshield on another car before, and it was a good experience. And they handle the paperwork directly with my insurance company, so there's no paperwork or cost to me). I tried to schedule an appointment online, but Tesla was not in their database. So I called, and all I got was "yeah, we don't work on Teslas". I can understand this if I wanted the windshield replaced - but just to fix a chip?

Has anybody had a chip fixed? Who did you use?

I just called Novus; they were happy to schedule the work, and baffled that somebody else would turn it down. He did note, though, that Tesla was not in his database either.

-Edit-

Novus came to my house (they don't even have a shop), and did a pretty good job fixing the chip. There was a 1/4" pit, surrounded by about a dozen very visible cracks up to 3/4" radiating in every direction. You can barely see the pit now, and from outside you only see two lines. From inside you can see four more if you look for them. It took about 30 minutes.

No charge to me (it looks like the total was somewhere between $50 and $60), and no paperwork - they bill my insurer (PEMCO) directly. I have a very large deductible, but PEMCO (and many other insurers) waive the deductible for windshield chip repair. (Presumably so they don't have to pay later for a windshield replacement; though with my deductible, they would not have had to pay that anyway). Interestingly enough, it was not mentioned in my insurance paperwork, but I verified with my agent that it's covered.

Last edited:
I got a windshield chip too; so I checked with Safelite (I'd had them replace a windshield on another car before, and it was a good experience. And they handle the paperwork directly with my insurance company, so there's no paperwork or cost to me). I tried to schedule an appointment online, but Tesla was not in their database. So I called, and all I got was "yeah, we don't work on Teslas". I can understand this if I wanted the windshield replaced - but just to fix a chip?

Has anybody had a chip fixed? Who did you use?

I just called Novus; they were happy to schedule the work, and baffled that somebody else would turn it down. He did note, though, that Tesla was not in his database either.

A lot of national companies are like that. They'd rather risk turning away a little business than risk damaging something they don't understand. If it's not in the database, they consider it's an exotic and risky repair. Safer just to send you elsewhere.

That said, doing so on a windshield repair is kind of laughable. I suppose they were probably worried they'd get there and the chip would be irreparable, and then they're in a bind because they can't fix or replace it.