Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Broken MY Valve Stem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
T
Took my MY into Discount tire to repair a flat.

When I checked the car tire before leaving they had removed the factory valve stem and replaced it with a standard rubber stem. I asked for the OEM back. This is the 2 piece with the outer and inter that screw together.

As it turns out they broke the valve stem. Something about leaving the chuck attached when moving the tire.

I asked for the manager and he said they always replace the valve stem. I understand with a standard stem, but this seems like an OEM piece with, what may be, a replaceable rubber seal. There was no seal on the broken stem they returned to me after I asked.

My question, Is it normal to remove the Tesla OEM stems when repairing/replacing tires?

Would prefer to have them all be OEM.

I read something about the TPMS being part of the stem. The Tesla still show tire pressures on the console so the TPMS appears to be intact and functioning.

Thanks,

Todd

...normal...

That depends on the cost.

Your TPMS is built in so when it's battery is dead, you have to replace the whole valve stem.

TPMS battery can last a few years so it's a good idea to replace it preemptively rather than wait for it to die at an unscheduled time (that means to replace the whole valve stem).

Some shops would include the replacement cost and some will charge you extra.

If you want Tesla brand, I doubt your local tire shop would have one ready.

T
Took my MY into Discount tire to repair a flat.

When I checked the car tire before leaving they had removed the factory valve stem and replaced it with a standard rubber stem. I asked for the OEM back. This is the 2 piece with the outer and inter that screw together.

As it turns out they broke the valve stem. Something about leaving the chuck attached when moving the tire.

I asked for the manager and he said they always replace the valve stem. I understand with a standard stem, but this seems like an OEM piece with, what may be, a replaceable rubber seal. There was no seal on the broken stem they returned to me after I asked.

My question, Is it normal to remove the Tesla OEM stems when repairing/replacing tires?

Would prefer to have them all be OEM.

I read something about the TPMS being part of the stem. The Tesla still show tire pressures on the console so the TPMS appears to be intact and functioning.

Thanks,

Todd

They broke one of your TPMS sensors ($75.00 each) and replaced it with a cheap rubber valve stem (around $5.00)... time to raise some heII.

Keith

Reactions: akidesir
I do not understand the relationship between the valve stem and the TPMS. Are they one and the same part? The valve stem they returned to me that was broken did not include a TPMS. Could they retain the OEM TPMS and replace the valve stem with the cheap rubber stem?

Thanks,

Todd

I do not understand the relationship between the valve stem and the TPMS. Are they one and the same part? The valve stem they returned to me that was broken did not include a TPMS. Could they retain the OEM TPMS and replace the valve stem with the cheap rubber stem?

Thanks,

Todd

...The valve stem they returned to me that was broken did not include a TPMS. Could they retain the OEM TPMS and replace the valve stem with the cheap rubber stem?...
It would be helpful if you can upload the picture of the broken Tesla part and your newly replaced valve stem on your wheel.

Otherwise, there might be various theories like @Gumball just explained: it's a hybrid of Tesla part that you don't see and the visible generic part in your newly replaced valve stem.

Does the valve stem not unscrew from the tpms? I know the ones I installed in my other car do. I have never had Discount Tire replace any of my valve stems, even when they replaced the tpms O rings, as my other cars have custom red aluminum valve stems.

FYI, I did aftermarket rims last year and purchased 4 new TPMS which I installed myself. The TPMS and valve stem are a single part. You can not remove or replace just the valve stem. If you're not getting a tire pressure warning then my best guess would be that they broke a stem on a different car and had a miscommunication between tech and front counter.

Reactions: akidesir
The tire pressure is showing on the Service screen. I am not getting any warnings.

Here are the images of what they returned to me, and what the put on the wheel.

I had an idea something was up because it was supposed to be a 45 min flat repair and tire rotation. I did not get out of there for an 1 hr 45 min

Attachments

• Tesla broken stem.jpg
    Tesla broken stem.jpg
    282.1 KB · Views: 340
  • Tesla replaced stem.jpg
    Tesla replaced stem.jpg
    419.8 KB · Views: 142
...images...
Thanks for the pictures.

The replacement is generic and it is stamped with the word "TMPS" on the copper portion.

The broken one does not look like Tesla because it does not have the Tesla Icon. Its top has only about 2 grooves for a tire pump hose to screw on which doesn't look right. It should have like 12 grooves for the pump hose to screw on. That looks like it's been chopped off. It does not seem like a TPMS one: It's a non-TPMS generic valve stem. They might just throw the Tesla one away and couldn't find it but there's a wrong kind of generic non-Tesla, non-TPMS lying around and they just gave you that.

Are you sure your TPMS is working? Go lower the air in the tire and see if the warning comes on.

Here is the issue. You car takes only a Tesla BT TPMS. No other TPMS will work in your car, no other. They can't just go get a programmable TPMS and instal it. Also a Tesla BT TPMS ONLY comes with a metal valve. You can't even install a rubber valve on a Tesla BT TPMS. So if the shop is REALLY shady then maybe they strapped your BT broken sensor to the wheel (Ford makes a strap for their old TPMS) and then installed just a basic rubber valve.

My guess is you have no TPMS in the wheel and for some reason it is not showing you that in the car if indeed they installed a rubber valve.

They could not fully repair the tire, said it was a large bolt, so it is still leaking slowly. Deciding now whether to replace only the bad tire, or 2 of them since there is 22k miles on them. The rears are wearing faster than the front and the flat was on a rear.

The tire pressure on the console is correct. As the tire leaks air pressure on the console decreases, when I add air it go up, matching the reading of my tire pressure gauge.

Perhaps they did not give me back the stem they broke. The inside end of the stem in the pic is threaded. Like where a TPMS is screwed to attach. This is speculation as I know nothing about the Tesla TPMS.

I know it's a small thing, but I keep my MY in good condition and if they broke it they should replace it with the correct part.

They could not fully repair the tire, said it was a large bolt, so it is still leaking slowly. Deciding now whether to replace only the bad tire, or 2 of them since there is 22k miles on them. The rears are wearing faster than the front and the flat was on a rear.

The tire pressure on the console is correct. As the tire leaks air pressure on the console decreases, when I add air it go up, matching the reading of my tire pressure gauge.

Perhaps they did not give me back the stem they broke. The inside end of the stem in the pic is threaded. Like where a TPMS is screwed to attach. This is speculation as I know nothing about the Tesla TPMS.

I know it's a small thing, but I keep my MY in good condition and if they broke it they should replace it with the correct part.
First on an AWD car it is not good to have a big difference in thread depth between tires (like for me it would be more than 3/32) but that is your call.

Second if you have a rubber valves I assure you that you do not have a Tesla TPMS attached to the valve stem as Tesla TPMS is only metal and your model takes the Tesla Bluetooth TPMS only.

Good luck on your quest but one thing is for sure I would not go back to that place and give them your business.