Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Broken Roadster Key Fob

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think one out of my two Roadster key fobs is broken.

Had the SC replace both batteries during a service earlier today. One key fob works just fine. However, on the other, the Tesla "T" lock button does nothing. On that same fob, the middle unlock and lower trunk release button are actually working.

So it looks like I have a broken "T" button on the one fob.

Does anyone know of possible fixes to this? Do I need a whole new keyfob? Do they even make Roadster key fobs anymore? Can this be repaired? Can I at least salvage the key so a new one does not need to be cut?

Do they even make Roadster key fobs anymore?

Yes, they make Roadster key fobs. My Roadster was initially purchased (from used car dealer) with 1 key which made me nervous if I should lose it. Therefore, I had Tesla make a new key for me. It is not cheap -- I don't recall the price, but I think it was between $200-$300. Several months later the previous owner found another key and sent it to us, so now I have 3 keys!

Yes, they make Roadster key fobs. My Roadster was initially purchased (from used car dealer) with 1 key which made me nervous if I should lose it. Therefore, I had Tesla make a new key for me. It is not cheap -- I don't recall the price, but I think it was between $200-$300. Several months later the previous owner found another key and sent it to us, so now I have 3 keys!

That's helpful. Thanks! $200-$300 is a bit ridiculous, but it's good to know I can actually get another key.

I don't think the key even has a transponder. Is that correct? $200-$300 seems high, but it doesn't seem like I have many options.

I'm not comfortable with having only one key.

If you're not familiar with electronics and how to source components, take it to a quality electronics shop or have a computer hardware engineer friend if you have one open it up and take a gander. You might be able to first test the button to verify that indeed is the issue, or trouble shoot the fob if he has knowledge on hardware. If the button indeed is the fault, he or the shop can look at how its connected to the PCB and determine if replacing it is feasible based upon how its soldered down.

• Informative
Reactions: shrink
@shrink I found the receipt--it was actually higher than I remembered. It was $59 for the transmitter, $31 to cut the key, and $230 labor -- total $320. I am not certain what labor was involved, but I think they actually had to send someone to get the key cut at another business. I see there may be opportunities to lessen the cost by offering to do some parts yourself, like getting the key cut.

One of my FOBs quit working. None of the buttons work. I've tried new batteries and cleaning the contacts but nothing seems to make it work. It's not urgent b/c I have the other key but I'd like to get it working without paying 2 - 300 bucks.

If you're not familiar with electronics and how to source components, take it to a quality electronics shop or have a computer hardware engineer friend if you have one open it up and take a gander. You might be able to first test the button to verify that indeed is the issue, or trouble shoot the fob if he has knowledge on hardware. If the button indeed is the fault, he or the shop can look at how its connected to the PCB and determine if replacing it is feasible based upon how its soldered down.

Huh, look at that. Aluminum foil might be the fix. I'm giving this a shot!

Thanks for the tip. Will keep you posted on the results.

IMG_2109.JPG Well, the foil didn't work. Looks like the inner buttons in the fob are just small buttons.

I actually got the lock button to work once out of about 30 presses - and the one was a very hard press.

Unlock and the programmable button do indeed work just fine.

I'm going to try a local electronics repair shop.

I just had to face the fob issue with my roadster as it only had one key.
Two fobs were $200 from the SC. Adding them to the existing key (programming)
was $30. Adding a blank and having it cut solved the one-key problem.

So, if someone wants a new fob, it's possible to team up to purchase 2 for $200
but it appears Tesla has to program them.

I looked into Lotus fobs/keys and they were around the same price but with
the Lotus, you (owner) can program them. With the Tesla, I could not figure out how
and I assume only Tesla can program them.

I can send a copy of the receipt if that helps your service center with quotes or pricing.....

As for the cost of programming, I suspect some service centers may have a minimum charge, Utah does not.
In any case, it was expensive but having a spare key to use makes me sleep easier....