Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Broken side view mirror

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bumped into my side view mirror in the garage (it ended up being pushed too far forward from the unfolded position) and it appears the shaft connecting the mirror assembly to the car snapped. Wires still connected, mirror still moves, but the entire folding assembly (upper part) is no longer connected to the lower silver part/base.

Anyone ever disassembled these? I'm assuming I need to replace that shaft and possibly the folding motor if it is a one piece unit. Was hoping to learn from those who have done this and possibly get a part number to order. If necessary, I'll take the car to service and have them do it, but I'm thinking this isn't that complex and possibly something I can do myself. Service manual/exploded parts view would be great! Car is a 2017 Model S...

You would like to find replacement before attempting to change. It’s all up to the level of damage, I believe if you open it, it will be beyond repair level (I have been in the same situation but with another car). If you go to Tesla then they’ll not repair but replace. Second hand units can be found from eBay or local dismantling places: there are two types, folding and non folding units. This door panel* is fairly easy to get of, youtube have several videos.
*if the door card on your car has small belt type fixing on the outer upper corner then it’s advisable not to cut it!

Just wanted to close the loop on this. Put in service request. They said they could do it with mobile tech (who just completed the repair). Original ticket was to replace the mirror assembly (this is the whole unit and is the lowest LRU (line replaceable unit) they go to) and the skull cap (this is the cone around the mirror which is the same color as your car). Skull cap is $50 and we retained mine, so they removed that from the ticket. Cost of the mirror assembly was $525 which seems high but there are several factors:
  • It is the whole mirror assembly with the folding motor and the mirror tilt motor
  • It is the unit which has side view mirror heat
  • It is the unit which has the car's wifi antenna installed
  • There are different units/price points depending on your car (motorized folding or not, heat or not, etc.)
Installation took about 30 minutes. It is not particularly complex but would take time to work it if you weren't familiar.
  • You need to take off the interior door panel. There are several electrical connectors between the panel and the door and one mechanical cable (door pull lever). Note that the panel is mostly held with clips, but there is a bolt in the well where your hand would go to pull the door shut (beneath the rubber pad in that well) and behind a removable panel behind the door pull lever).
  • You need to remove the entire mirror assembly (two electrical connectors) which contains the small forward triangle glass window and a section of forward edge track for the door window
  • You need to move the assembly which contains the forward triangle glass window and large window track section to the new mirror assembly.
  • You need to reinstall it and ensure the track assembly is aligned with the rest of the window track so that it will open/close without difficulty.
  • You need to re-connect the two connectors.
  • You need to reconnect all the electrical and mechanical connectors between the door and the panel.
  • You need to reinstall the panel.
  • You install the skull cap.
Total cost was $525 for the part, $78 for labor and tax. It was definitely worth paying $75 to have someone do this for me given I would have to pay for the part cost either way.

• Helpful
Reactions: uuette and KalJoMoS
Just wanted to close the loop on this. Put in service request. They said they could do it with mobile tech (who just completed the repair). Original ticket was to replace the mirror assembly (this is the whole unit and is the lowest LRU (line replaceable unit) they go to) and the skull cap (this is the cone around the mirror which is the same color as your car). Skull cap is $50 and we retained mine, so they removed that from the ticket. Cost of the mirror assembly was $525 which seems high but there are several factors:
  • It is the whole mirror assembly with the folding motor and the mirror tilt motor
  • It is the unit which has side view mirror heat
  • It is the unit which has the car's wifi antenna installed
  • There are different units/price points depending on your car (motorized folding or not, heat or not, etc.)
Installation took about 30 minutes. It is not particularly complex but would take time to work it if you weren't familiar.
  • You need to take off the interior door panel. There are several electrical connectors between the panel and the door and one mechanical cable (door pull lever). Note that the panel is mostly held with clips, but there is a bolt in the well where your hand would go to pull the door shut (beneath the rubber pad in that well) and behind a removable panel behind the door pull lever).
  • You need to remove the entire mirror assembly (two electrical connectors) which contains the small forward triangle glass window and a section of forward edge track for the door window
  • You need to move the assembly which contains the forward triangle glass window and large window track section to the new mirror assembly.
  • You need to reinstall it and ensure the track assembly is aligned with the rest of the window track so that it will open/close without difficulty.
  • You need to re-connect the two connectors.
  • You need to reconnect all the electrical and mechanical connectors between the door and the panel.
  • You need to reinstall the panel.
  • You install the skull cap.
Total cost was $525 for the part, $78 for labor and tax. It was definitely worth paying $75 to have someone do this for me given I would have to pay for the part cost either way.

Appreciate the update. My son dumped into the mirror, this evening, while riding his scooter. Scheduled for repair, ten days from now, at the service center. Mobile service not available. Bummer

BTW, was your car delivered in the Q1 2017, like mine?

@uuette Glad this was helpful, a shame they wouldn't do it via mobile service. Literally took the guy about 20 minutes to do the part replacement.

Yes my car was a Q1 2017 (March) delivery. Ordered Dec 2016 to get the FUSC locked in...then in Jan they released the 100D and I could have shifted over, but I was happy with my order and didn't want to incur the delay and lose the FUSC (of course that kept changing all through January). All in all, I've been very happy with the car and my decision.

• Funny
Reactions: uuette
The replacement part arrived yesterday, so I was able to reschedule my appointment for tomorrow!
Glad the service center is close by. They make up for what the app lacks, a personal touch.

Same here and also very pleased with the purchase. Though now, I have a little range envy with the newer cars. But plan to do the infotainment upgrade next year. Be well

Reactions: drklain