Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

broken soft top tension wire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, through some ignorant manipulation I managed to break the tension wire (or more of a thin cable, really) that seals the front edge of the soft top. It snapped, it's got to be replaced. The soft top is identical to a Lotus one, right? What's the best way for me to source a replacement for that wire?

I replaced mine with these, unlike the originals you can readily replace the cable. They also have the advantage of being a bit more robustly designed. Should that auction disappear, the magic search term is "VX220 Lotus ELISE EXIGE Soft Top Roof Cable adjuster tensioner Opel Speedster". I paid about $42 GPB each for my pair from the seller above.

I have the persons email address, if you want to contact him directly, drop me a line and I'll pass it along.

Last edited:
My one complaint, and its a minor one, is that the thickness of the ends can make them a little more difficult to fit properly in the A and B hoop slots. Related, you might consider shrink tubing or tape wrapping the ends to keep them to keep them from rubbing against the hoop slots. I haven't noticed this to be any more of an issue than the original cables, but depending on your desired tension level, I could see how it might happen.

I ordered one directly from Tesla and got it without any difficulties. I also got the TESLA car cover as well from parts.

Tesla Roadster invoice.JPG

Last edited:
I replaced mine with these, unlike the originals you can readily replace the cable. They also have the advantage of being a bit more robustly designed. Should that auction disappear, the magic search term is "VX220 Lotus ELISE EXIGE Soft Top Roof Cable adjuster tensioner Opel Speedster". I paid about $42 GPB each for my pair from the seller above.

I have the persons email address, if you want to contact him directly, drop me a line and I'll pass it along.

I just ordered--now $59.2 GBP so $77.22 USD with shipping. In the past eight yearsI have had the Tesla cables break 4 times--so I hope these last better!