TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Broken Superchargers “survey”

Discussion in 'Supercharging & Charging Infrastructure' started by azred, Jul 14, 2019.

1. cpa

cpa Active Member

If true, this is good news! Over the years, we have gleaned that not everything that comes from employees is 100% accurate! But I am crossing my fingers!

2. Sklith

Sklith Member

I've supercharged about 9k miles worth since I had a cross-country road trip in December, and I had only 2 issues with supercharging. The first was a stall simply not working somewhere in Louisiana, trying another one worked. The other incident was some plastic stuck on one of the pins in a cable in Tennessee, I would have been able to fix this myself if I had needle nose pliers but I didn't so I moved over to the next stall.

3. T3slaOwner

T3slaOwner Member Extraordinaire

I have called in problems with Supercharger stalls and asked if anyone else had reported them and they said "no". So if the Superchargers report themselves, it may not be for all problems. In that case it was a defective connector that would report latched, but loose on the car. Another charger had a piece of connector barrel stuck in it. There are plenty times the problem can only be reported by humans.

4. Dave EV

Dave EV Active Member

So, what's up with all the down stalls lately? Just scanning the California Supercharger forum, there's a huge number of stalls out that aren't getting repaired.

Temecula: 4/10 down
    San Diego-Sorrento Valley: 5/12 down
    San Mateo: 3/8 down

There's more - these are just a few that are totally broken. Many more give slow charging speeds, in my experience.

These are all heavily trafficked sites in well populated areas in Tesla's biggest market. Things like reliable Superchargers are the biggest selling point for Tesla vehicles, but if you can't charge easily and quickly when you need to because stalls are either completely broken or need maintenance, this only hurts Tesla sales and their reputation.

5. mociaf9

mociaf9 Active Member

Maybe they've been putting off some maintenance in preparation for the annual big maintenance push heading into Thanksgiving.

6. ilyak

ilyak Member

Here's an 8-stall charger where between 2 and 4 stalls have been consistently reported as broken since March of this year: PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You

I've myself have reported it to Tesla twice, first time by phone and second time via the Request Help button. I got this response:

This was in early August. There're reports of the same stalls broken from as recently as a few days ago. Thankfully, there are other charging options in Syracuse and Albany, but it's still unfortunate that it has not been fixed for this long.

• Informative x 1
  7. Missile Toad

Missile Toad Member

Outages I'm aware of:
    • Rawlins, WY (at least 3 stalls. Hangar for the handles is faulty/sabotaged)
    • Dickson, TN - 1 charger has plastic face broken, allowing hot wires to be exposed to the elements
    • Huntsville, TX - 2 stalls not operative
    I've also heard reports of the new (not active in Nav) supercharger in Webster TX, having 6 of 8 stalls operable... so, really a 'under construction' site.
    Also, I have observed a stall that is 'out' for one car, operate perfectly fine for another car that plugs in less than 2 hours after the first car. Frankly, it gives me the vague feeling that the chargers operate on some kind of trans-dimensional magic. In the case of Rawlins and Dickson, Tesla has been aware of the issues for 6 months, and they've been allowed to remain during that period. I can't say I blame them. Each of these sites are fairly low volume -- and I saw no other Tesla's during my visits.

8. cpa

cpa Active Member

On the one hand, this makes sense.

On the other hand, Tesla is setting a precedent with their dilatory responses to repair broken stalls.

We just do not know when rural locations will become full or close to full. The annual rally in Custer each May overloads Superchargers all along Interstate 80. I've been at the following locations over the past four years when the Superchargers were full or nearly so:

Lovelock NV (4/4) and (3/4)
    Cheyenne WY (4/4)
    Weatherford OK (6/6)
    Grants Pass OR (4/4) and (6/8)
    Rawlins WY (5/8 in May this year)
    Kingman AZ (5/6)
    The Dalles OR (5/5)
    Buellton CA (10/10)
    Fresno CA (10/10)**This is near my house. I have the availability on the touchscreen visible whenever I drive. This location is full for quite some time nearly every day. I perhaps use it every two months.

There must be a happy medium between responding within 72 hours and not acting within six months!

9. Blu Zap

Blu Zap Grinning member

#49 Blu Zap, Oct 9, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2019 at 10:35 AM
    Moderator note: This post, plus a few downthread, were merged from another thread on basically the same topic.

What's going on with SuperCharger maintenance? It seems Tesla is focused on growing more locations, but at the price of keeping the existing SuperChargers operating. I saw downtime complaints on several SuC location threads. Rather than discuss the individual locations, I thought I would bring this up here, as it is a broader issue.

Limited operation complaints were viewed tonight about Mountain View, Corning and San Ramon, all in California. I add to that Corte Madera, Ca. This SuC is behind the Tesla store at the Village Mall. 10 Urban SuperChargers. 3 were down last Saturday. Prime time for prospective Tesla owners to be test driving the cars parked right there next to the SuC. Not a good showing when there is a long (20 minute) queue. Also 3 empty stalls due to inoperative chargers. Not a good experience for the owners and potential owners observing the charging experience.

What's your experience with inoperative SuperChargers?

10. dgatwood

dgatwood Member

Mountain View, CA consistently has at least two stalls coned off, and really should probably have all 12 coned off. It's technically "working", but just barely.

Over the past week, nearly every pair has been reported as being semi-broken, with about half of the chargers per stack dead. You end up getting a paltry 19 kW charge rate if you're the second car, peaking at only ~66 kW (if you're lucky) instead of 120+, and the charge speed will randomly "pump", sometimes dropping as low as 6 kW before spiking back up to 20-ish or 30-ish kW. I've actually sat there plugged in for two hours just going from 10% to 90%. It isn't pretty.

At this point, I'm waiting for the Scotts Valley V3 supercharger while secretly hoping for a freak lightning strike or short circuit that fries the Mountain View SC's equipment cabinets and forces them to gut it like a fish.

11. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Active Member

Easy solution, charge at home.

• Like x 1
  12. KatyF

KatyF Member

There are 2 stalls blocked with cones at the Sunnyvale, CA Supercharger at Target on McKinley

They have been down for at least a week if not longer.

I tried to report to [email protected] but I got an automated reply that the box is no longer monitored. D6922BAC-A87E-4110-8369-BDA4CA4C875A.jpeg 5AB8C5D4-DF83-48CE-886D-476D341C703E.jpeg 02CCF1DB-C405-4708-B9E6-28C822C8CF36.jpeg

13. dgatwood

dgatwood Member

Have you compared the open stall count in the car's UI against the actual number of stalls to see if they're really down?

14. Whiteblaze

Whiteblaze Member

I've charged at nearly 200 different superchargers over the years, and I've reported bad stalls at least a few dozen times. However, the first and only time I ever had problems at an entire location was last week at Allentown, PA. I tried three stalls before finding one that would provide 20kW, and it completely died after only providing ~60 miles. Between another owner and me, we tried every stall and they were all dead.

I spoke to a local, who said he had reported it days prior. I also reported it by email (I used to call them in, back when it you could call the number and speak to someone in a reasonable time). Per the last post on the Allentown thread, it was still fubar as of two days ago.

What boggles my mind is that Tesla is supposedly aware of supercharger issues and can update your nav in real time, and yet this location never appeared on the nav as having any issue.

• Informative x 1
  15. Blu Zap

Blu Zap Grinning member

Not everyone can. Then there are the road trips.

• Like x 2
  16. KatyF

KatyF Member

Yes, at the time the cones were up, the map showed 10 of 10 in service.

the cones were moved to the side as o f Sunday morning.

17. Dave EV

Dave EV Active Member

Only a small sampling of currently broken Superchargers. This needs more attention.

18. dgatwood

dgatwood Member

As an aside, I finally found a working V2 pair in the Bay Area. It's 1A/1B at Target in San Jose. I'm just realizing that in the two years that I've owned my car, this may be only the second or third time I've actually seen a V2 supercharger working at full speed. :-/

The V3 rollout can't come soon enough.

19. cpa

cpa Active Member

This is purely a guess. No basis in fact.

Tesla likely budgets for Supercharger construction in its capital expenditure budgeting. Maintenance, repairs, and operating costs of Superchargers are budgeted as period costs separate from the capital expenditures.

It is certainly possible with Tesla's cash situation that the company decided to borrow from the operating budget for maintenance and repairs to use in construction. There are so many locations that are in various stages of construction that Tesla is pushing repairs down the road.

I just hope that most repairs at critical locations are completed in time for the holidays.

• Helpful x 1