Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Broken Window Twice Within Two Weeks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have had my Tesla for two years, never any problems. I've parked it all over the Bay Area and never had anything happen to it. 10 days ago, the car was broken into near the Bay Bridge/Embarcadero/SOMA. Little window smashed, big window smashes, lap stolen from the rear. That car is still in the shop waiting for the window to arrive but Tesla gave me a model S loaner. Tonight, the loaner had its little window smashed at 280/Saratoga in San Jose. The seat had been folded down but there was nothing in the car. This was a well-lit parking lot and I was only gone for an hour.

It's a frustrating problem that seems to be getting worse from what I'm reading. Is there anything Tesla can do to prevent this little window from being broken? Any stronger glass available for purchase just for that window? I don't know what the solution is besides throwing these thieves and thugs behind bars. I had been leaving the seat down and the rear cover open but forgot tonight since I always go to this shopping center for dinner, never thought twice about it.

My car had a front and rear camera and captured the break-in in SF (although it was dark). Here is a picture of the getaway car

Attachments

• IMG_2132.JPG
    IMG_2132.JPG
    368.1 KB · Views: 312
You can order this from Tesla and get it installed, assuming you have a Model S/X: Model S Enhanced Anti-theft

Otherwise there's really nothing else you can do besides get a license plate and have police deal with it.

e. You can also try to buy just decal stickers that say the car is equipped with it when it's really not to see if that deters them.

The enhanced security has been sold out for awhile.

• Helpful
Reactions: BoerumHill
It's a California thing. Property crime was pretty much decriminalized a year ago.

Police don't care as well.

Just part of living in the Bay Area. I'd expect this in SF for sure, even parking garages are not safe, but somewhat saddened (but not surprised) that this happened in Saratoga as well.

Reactions: X Fan
It's a California thing. Property crime was pretty much decriminalized a year ago.

Police don't care as well.

Just part of living in the Bay Area. I'd expect this in SF for sure, even parking garages are not safe, but somewhat saddened (but not surprised) that this happened in Saratoga as well.

It happened in San Jose, on Saratoga Ave. Seems to be a very wide spread problem.

I'd like to know what jewelry stores use on their display cases. That stuff really works, given theft videos on Liveleak.

FWIW this "C-Bond" looks like bogus marketing hype.
Its not bogus, their marketing just sucks... it does work. stops 22 caliber, 357 and 9mm...

My favorite part of the video is Shane the azzclown, who shoots point blank at a pane of glass without eye protection or any body armor or helmet... he's lucky it didn't ricochet..

Last edited:

If I lived in SF, I'd just own my beater Prius with 300K miles.

A year ago, a co-worker's right quarter panel glass was broken due to a break in. Back then, you could buy brand new glass for $120 from sellers on ebay or used for $80 on ebay.

Used now goes for $200 to $300. Wish I'd stock piled them several years ago. I could have made a killing.