Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Broken Window Twice Within Two Weeks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, I learned that hard way that any valuables you're going to leave in the car should be in the frunk. Would-be thieves might still bust out your windows, but at least they can't steal your gear. And leaving anything in plain sight just invites unwelcome attention.

I thought there was a quick release for the frunk, how long before thieves figure that out if it's true?

Yeah, I learned that hard way that any valuables you're going to leave in the car should be in the frunk. Would-be thieves might still bust out your windows, but at least they can't steal your gear. And leaving anything in plain sight just invites unwelcome attention.

IMPORTANT: The frunk is not a safe place for valuables. Anyone car pop the little circular tow hook cover off the front bumper and apply 12 volts from a jump pack to the pos/neg cables tucked in there.

Anyone installed this?

Yep. It's the real deal but you have to understand what it is and what it isn't.

C-Bond I is what you'll get for cars. Historically, window tint is applied using soapy water (I'm simplifying). C-Bond I is an additive that increases the effective strength of the glass and tint barrier. But understand - it's maybe 2:1, meaning 100% better, but still, that buys a little time - not a complete solution.

C-Bond II is the bulletproof stuff that requires an anchoring system. Intended for commercial and residential - not practical for cars yet.

Google for the YouTube video at Extreme Autowerks for an example of C-Bond applied to the shop's front door and the number of baseball bat strikes from the owner, staff and customers before the door gave in. I don't remember if that was C-Bond I or C-Bond II.

You can get C-Bond I applied to just the rear triangle windows for not a lot of money if you've already got tint applied to the car and don't want to redo all of it.

C-Bond also makes an effective exterior windshield coating with a good warranty. I picked up 2 stars in my windshield for the 2nd car (new front end is a bit of a rock magnet for windshields) in the first 6 weeks of ownership, learned of the C-Bond product thereafter, and in the almost 2 years since, have picked up zero additional stars. Anecdotal? Sure. Sample size of 1. But from where I sit, tens of thousands of miles later, it was money well spent.

Glad to see others picking up the C-Bond torch.

Now, additives aside, I also had the alarm enhancement installed a couple of weeks ago. It's nifty and yeah, it works. Remember to disable it before taking a nap in yer chariots, folks. Totally unobtrusive and imo should have been standard equipment in the States from Day One.

Two sets of dashcams for near-360 degree coverage (do compare the 4K versus the latest non-4K model specifically with regard to night vision/clarity before buying), a 24/7 mobile hotspot for cloud storage (see the ZTE Mobley or Skyroam's Solis orange hockey puck) C-Bond, and the alarm enhancement for glass breakage and tilt monitoring. Best solution I can figure at this juncture.

Yeah, locking mechanisms to secure the trunk better would be a whole lot easier, but given that it took 6 years to get glass breakage monitoring in the States, I'm not holding my breath.

• Informative
Reactions: gmontem and energy7
Yep. It's the real deal but you have to understand what it is and what it isn't.

C-Bond I is what you'll get for cars. Historically, window tint is applied using soapy water (I'm simplifying). C-Bond I is an additive that increases the effective strength of the glass and tint barrier. But understand - it's maybe 2:1, meaning 100% better, but still, that buys a little time - not a complete solution.

C-Bond II is the bulletproof stuff that requires an anchoring system. Intended for commercial and residential - not practical for cars yet.

Google for the YouTube video at Extreme Autowerks for an example of C-Bond applied to the shop's front door and the number of baseball bat strikes from the owner, staff and customers before the door gave in. I don't remember if that was C-Bond I or C-Bond II.

You can get C-Bond I applied to just the rear triangle windows for not a lot of money if you've already got tint applied to the car and don't want to redo all of it.

C-Bond also makes an effective exterior windshield coating with a good warranty. I picked up 2 stars in my windshield for the 2nd car (new front end is a bit of a rock magnet for windshields) in the first 6 weeks of ownership, learned of the C-Bond product thereafter, and in the almost 2 years since, have picked up zero additional stars. Anecdotal? Sure. Sample size of 1. But from where I sit, tens of thousands of miles later, it was money well spent.

Glad to see others picking up the C-Bond torch.

Now, additives aside, I also had the alarm enhancement installed a couple of weeks ago. It's nifty and yeah, it works. Remember to disable it before taking a nap in yer chariots, folks. Totally unobtrusive and imo should have been standard equipment in the States from Day One.

Two sets of dashcams for near-360 degree coverage (do compare the 4K versus the latest non-4K model specifically with regard to night vision/clarity before buying), a 24/7 mobile hotspot for cloud storage (see the ZTE Mobley or Skyroam's Solis orange hockey puck) C-Bond, and the alarm enhancement for glass breakage and tilt monitoring. Best solution I can figure at this juncture.

Yeah, locking mechanisms to secure the trunk better would be a whole lot easier, but given that it took 6 years to get glass breakage monitoring in the States, I'm not holding my breath.

With the C-bond reinforced window, do you have any idea if the Enhanced Auto Theft would detect the impact from an attempted smash and send an alert to your app?

IMPORTANT: The frunk is not a safe place for valuables. Anyone car pop the little circular tow hook cover off the front bumper and apply 12 volts from a jump pack to the pos/neg cables tucked in there.
Didn't know that. Regardless, the frunk is still safer than the back seat or rear trunk. I'm also unaware of any "quick release" function to open the frunk from inside the vehicle (without the fob). If I'm wrong about that, please let me know.

I went to a restaurant in Oakland, CA on Saturday to meet up with family. The street curb sides were LITTERED with broken glass, presumably from "smash and grab" thieves. Sad. I did not expect to see the entire parking curbs, end to end, lined with broken glass.

It was nerve racking to park two blocks away. No valuables left in the car and I also put any stray items (jackets, etc.) in the frunk and removed the parcel shelf so that my empty hatchback was in full open view.

You can order this from Tesla and get it installed, assuming you have a Model S/X: Model S Enhanced Anti-theft

Otherwise there's really nothing else you can do besides get a license plate and have police deal with it.

e. You can also try to buy just decal stickers that say the car is equipped with it when it's really not to see if that deters them.
Thanks for that info, I’ll add that on my X when I get it back. My loaner from the service center had the small passenger right rear window broken so the dumb ass could look in the empty trunk after laying down the seat. The car was in a poorly lit crowded parking lot near the Grand Lake theatre in Oakland while we watched Aquaman. Sad we have live with this BS.

I read in a post that it’s best to just tape up the window and pay Tesla or Enterprise (the company handling the loan for the service center).

Thanks for that info, I’ll add that on my X when I get it back. My loaner from the service center had the small passenger right rear window broken so the dumb ass could look in the empty trunk after laying down the seat. The car was in a poorly lit crowded parking lot near the Grand Lake theatre in Oakland while we watched Aquaman. Sad we have live with this BS.

I read in a post that it’s best to just tape up the window and pay Tesla or Enterprise (the company handling the loan for the service center).

Well, I think hatchbacks are easy target, our son refused to get a Prius because his friend’s Prius already got broken in twice. Tesla S may even be more tempting because people think expensive car has expensive stuff in trunk. I have removed the parcel shelf, placed a white carpet in trunk and have the the anti-theft device installed just to make it less tempting. I wish the anti-theft device includes a large red blinking LED on the console.

It's a California thing. Property crime was pretty much decriminalized a year ago.

Police don't care as well.

Just part of living in the Bay Area. I'd expect this in SF for sure, even parking garages are not safe, but somewhat saddened (but not surprised) that this happened in Saratoga as well.

This .... since these types of crime are no longer punished in CA, criminals feel emboldened and they commit theft at will and without fear of repercussion. This type of behavior is set to spread across all major urban centers and metro areas within the next decade I suspect as similar lax policy is implimented.

Last edited:
I wish Tesla or someone else sold an accessory lock box that takes the entire dimensions of the RFS footwell area. If that area had a lockable lid and people kept their valuables there then perhaps the word would get out that breaking into Tesla vehicles is a waste of time because valuables are in a separate lockable compartment.

I know, I know, you should not keep valuables in the car but that's not always possible when you travel.

This .... since these types of crime are no longer punished in CA, criminals feel emboldened and they commit theft at will and without fear of repercussion. This type of behavior is set to spread across all major urban centers and metro areas within the next decade I suspect as similar lax policy is implimented.

St. Louis MO has worse property crime rates per capita than San Francisco, yet few armchair politicians would blame that on on liberal-induced lack of consequences for petty crimes.

If locking people up actually prevented crime we'd be the safest country on the planet.

Ouch, that sucks, we go there all the time. That shopping plaza is so crowded these days, and most of the parking is in very plain view, but I guess neither deters the quick smash-n-grab. I guess not much we can do to avoid, except be lucky...
I was parked in a wide open spot , one row away from Shabuway under a street lamp. I'll assume whoever did it pulled up next to my car, got out, broke the window and left. Probably all within 15 seconds. Too bad this was the loaner car, otherwise my rear dash cam would have seen the car.