Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
> could have had the replacement done at the Tesla Service Center for about $1,200

This is so much cheaper than BMW quoted me before for a much smaller windshield. It seems like every time I see a parts price from Tesla it's less than I expect compared to what's charged by other premium brands. Like windshield wipers on their website for something like $25.

My experience from recent BMW years was they also used soft glass, which pitted super easily after driving through an area where sand blew up into the air from the areas on the side of the road. So this might be an industry trend? I gather it's to save weight or something? It's annoying when you end up with a windshield after 3 years, that looks like your previous cars would after 10.

BTW, for small rock chips, this $10 kit works well. I just repaired a rock chip on my wife’s car.

1D158692-D8A0-479E-B77F-25BD0CFB71CB.jpeg

I have an S and windshield replaced total cost was $624 at Tesla SC. do yourself a favor and and get 0 deductible glass coverage as most every car windscreen is 20% thinner than days of old to save weight, not to mention the sheer amount of glass on these cars. mine cost $11/year additional so its completely worth it
Will it count against your record as an accident claim and raise your premium though?

Reactions: Leeon
Will it count against your record as an accident claim and raise your premium though?

My comprehensive deductible is $250. If the repair cost is $1250 then insurance pays $1000.
I don't think it will raise my premium but even if it did it would not count against me as badly as an accident that was my fault.
So even if the premium went up by $100 for 6month premium (I highly doubt it would), over 3 years I would be paying maybe ($100+100+80+80+60+60) $480 more.
Even then, I would save $520.

I have an S and windshield replaced total cost was $624 at Tesla SC. do yourself a favor and and get 0 deductible glass coverage as most every car windscreen is 20% thinner than days of old to save weight, not to mention the sheer amount of glass on these cars. mine cost $11/year additional so its completely worth it

thanks for the advice... I will check it out and see how much a difference it will make .

BTW, for small rock chips, this $10 kit works well. I just repaired a rock chip on my wife’s car.

View attachment 566244
I've repaired many small chips over the years. I used one like the one you've pictured though and it only made it worse when I screwed the device down. I prefer the ones that look like a syringe -- I've never had a problem with those and they are similarly cheap.