Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brokerages & Trading Tools

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When people switch brokerages is there a way to move your securities? or do you have to sell everything and then rebuy everything in the other account?

you can move the entire account, with securities included when you transfer. Only problem, is during the transfer, you can't access your holdings so can't take advantage of buying/selling shares or options. The holdings, as far as i can tell, are essentially frozen until the move is complete.

Good question, You can easily move everything over with their cost basis intact. It's called an ACAT transfer (Automated Customer Account Transfer) and takes about 3-5 business days to process. It is suggested you do not trade during that process and if it includes options then not to do it during options expiration week.
Thanks! I may want to do that at some point. I use USAA for my non retirement accounts and Fidelity for retirement. For USAA my commissions are ok since they have a lower rate for higher volume trading...but I'm pretty limited in what I can do as far as trading platform. Plus they won't give me L3 or L4 trading privileges. Not that anyone else will either necessarily, but a maybe is better than a no! haha. Too bad TSLA is so volatile that I don't foresee a 3-5 business day window that I would feel comfortable doing it in anytime soon...

Ouch. Fidelity is 75 cents per contract. OptionsHouse is only 15cents. TD Ameritrade seems to be .75 cents also. Anyone able to get something lower?
I pay zero commissions however I am part of schwabs ABP program. (Asset based pricing). They charge a monthly fee based on your assets. So for I stance if my port is worth 25,000 I would pay roughly 28$ for that month. Unlimited trades options or equity.

I pay zero commissions however I am part of schwabs ABP program. (Asset based pricing). They charge a monthly fee based on your assets. So for I stance if my port is worth 25,000 I would pay roughly 28$ for that month. Unlimited trades options or equity.

Wouldn't mind that :) Right now I've spent between 200-800 usd / month on fees. Plus a 30 usd fee for market access (i.e. live data). However the fun part is that after yesterdays feedback from all you guys here I wrote to my brokerage a disgruntled e-mail with the fees and highlighted to them what others are getting from IB and they said they have a discounted tariff for active traders that is half of the usual (i.e. still $2 / contract) and that they've activated it for me upon my request now. Well at least it'll immediately cut my costs by half and I'll have to check about the direct IB account because there are tax laws that might prevent me from using them. Right now any investment and reinvestment is tax free until I take out money from the trading account more than I've put in. Therefore allowing me to reinvest the profit and delay income tax until some time in the far future. That however holds I think only for accounts based in Estonian banks. So if I were to open an IB account straight up I would lose that benefit :/

I use TD Ameritrade!

Their tools are unbelievable, though some say they are a little bit on the pricey side..Trade Architect might be a little gimmicky but its easy to use, and Think or Swim is fantastic albeit complex for most.
Their APEX pricing program = good value, free Wire transfers (in/out) $0 stop payments, checks, debit card, free atms.

Also if you trade freq. I may be able to help with the commission rates as I work for TD Bank (banking arm)
I currently pay $.015 per share, min $5 a share. so you essentially pay $5 for every 300 shares you buy. and $1.5 per option contract flat

So depending on the market caps you guys trade in, this may be better. But for Tesla! I find that this pricing method works great

You can't buy TSLA common shares on margin at IB? That's odd.

Schwab still lets you. Due to the notorious volatility of TSLA, they have a margin requirement of 50% equity on the stock. With others like AAPL they are much more lenient.

I have no problem trading TSLA on margin with my fidelity account. Neither did they change margin requirements on me.
fidelity is not IB or vise versa

- - - Updated - - -

You can't buy TSLA common shares on margin at IB? That's odd.

Schwab still lets you. Due to the notorious volatility of TSLA, they have a margin requirement of 50% equity on the stock. With others like AAPL they are much more lenient.

i just spoke to one of their representative now and he said it's a management decision cause they see tesla as a risky share or something...

i just spoke to one of their representative now and he said it's a management decision cause they see tesla as a risky share or something...

Wow...haven't had many problems with IB so far....but they do see extremely volatile in their margin policies. Not good at all.

They might have noticed that most of their clients were extremely long on Tesla and got worried about a possible pullback........still extremely weird....no problems with TSLA options so far though.

Maybe I get more responses here:
Does anybody here uses OptionVue or does have an opinion on that?
I'm looking for a good Options front end for Interactive brokers, since Think or Swim is ridiculously expensive.

I have been with Fidelity for 30 years & I am tired of their Active Trader Pro platform not working properly on Macs, if you are on a Mac you can't use Active Trader Pro instead you are forced to use Active Trader Pro.com that requires Microsoft Silverlight plug in :cursing:. Ever since Mavericks was released Active Trader Pro.com doesn't work with Safari so I have to run it on Google chrome.

So I am looking for a good brokerage that offers a good trading platform for Macs, any suggestions?

update

Got Active Trader Pro.com working after allowing Silverlight to run is safe mode in security preferences, not the preferred solution but up & running for now.

Last edited:
I have been with Fidelity for 30 years & I am tired of their Active Trader Pro platform not working properly on Macs, if you are on a Mac you can't use Active Trader Pro instead you are forced to use Active Trader Pro.com that requires Microsoft Silverlight plug in :cursing:. Ever since Mavericks was released Active Trader Pro.com doesn't work with Safari so I have to run it on Google chrome.

So I am looking for a good brokerage that offers a good trading platform for Macs, any suggestions?

Interactive Brokers has a Java one that is the same across all platforms and works quite well on a Mac.