Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bromptons in a Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Cardo

Sep 22, 2020
Surrey, UK
I am aware Bromptons are available all over the planet, however I kinda feel this is a very British problem.

In a few short months, we will be picking up our folding camper in preparation for our travels. As part of my advance planning, I’m trying to work out how I’m going to transport the two Bromptons. Unfortunately, due to a lack of hatch, it’s not possible* to sit a Brompton upright in the boot, and on its side it takes up a lot of space, leaving very little for proper luggage and equipment.

* So having done some Googling, I found a post on this very site where a chap with a Model S found he could stash two Bromptons upright in the boot well. I’ve tried this, and whilst one Brompton fits easily, the Model 3 doesn’t have sufficient space for a second Brompton in the well. My current thinking is to stick the slightly larger electric Brompton in the boot well, still leaving quite a lot of boot space for other luggage around it, with the second Brompton lying down on the back seat (next to the child seat).

Anyone have any better ideas?

is the driver or passenger seat far enough forward to have one standing up in the footspace behind the front seat?
Good idea, but alas, I don’t think that will work. Though I will give it a try. Behind the passenger seat is child’s legs, and I think I’m a little too tall to have the Brompton behind me as the driver. Worth a shot, though.

Edit: Though, I guess for these trips we could swap the the child seat over to behind the driver’s seat. That could work…

Following this with interest even though I am not in the UK. We have 3 Brommies (one electric) and just ordered a Model 3. I would love to see what solutions work so the bikes use the space most efficiently in the M3. In our MY, all 3 fit, pretty easily but normally just need 2 with us. We take the 3rd for a friend to use from time to time. We are selling the Y and replacing it with the 3.

Don't have it yet so we can't play Brommie Tetris with our 3 yet.

In the event you are serious, a Brompton one of the best, smallest folding bikes, ideal for mixed mode transportation. Easily bike 5 miles to the Tube/metro, fold up in about 20 seconds, hop on. Unfold when you get to your stop, riding any remaining distance you need to go.

Reactions: Lord Farquad
I’m an uneducated northerner. I’d genuinely not heard that name before 🤣

You probably haven't heard of them because of their price, be sitting down when you look up their cost ;).

I've got a cheapo £70 eBay copy, even that is very good fun to ride on all sorts of surfaces versus a regular bike......their size does mean if you are a certain build you can get mistaken for a clown when riding one.

I once gave a very serious lecture to 200 students, than on the way home inadvertently pulled a wheelie on this bike whilst setting off at the lights after overtaking half the class at the end of the lecture.

Years later one of those former students told me apparently the some students thought I was on a Segways and it sparked a debate on if lectures were allowed to break the highway code around campus since Segways are illegal on UK roads!!

So if you want to start a conversation these bikes are the way to go:).

img]

We are selling the Y and replacing it with the 3.

If you need to carry stuff regularly surely sticking with the Y makes sense? Pretending to be on the Crystal maze everytime you need to carry a decent amount of stuff will get boring very quickly!

You simply cannot get around how much more practical a hatchback is for family life than a saloon. We can get 6 people and 2 folding bikes into our X without even trying or using the frunk. The Y I think has almost as much space, isn't it a big drop in ultitly going down to a 3?

51122915533_f3c2925ff6_c_d.jpg

lwith the second Brompton lying down on the back seat (next to the child seat).

Just make sure you secure it well, and don't mind grease etc on the rear seat. I've done something similar once when I was too lazy to take apart the road bike and was using our Mazda. I was able to the Isofix seat in, but to be honest I woudlnt do it again. Every other corner I was worried some how the bike would get moved and encroach on the passenger space, even though it couldn't really.

I've never seen a Brompton on a toe mounted carrier, but surely that's the best solution for space/safety and ease of use?

49849618227_52937391e5_c_d.jpg

Just make sure you secure it well, and don't mind grease etc on the rear seat. I've done something similar once when I was too lazy to take apart the road bike and was using our Mazda. I was able to the Isofix seat in, but to be honest I woudlnt do it again. Every other corner I was worried some how the bike would get moved and encroach on the passenger space, even though it couldn't really.

I've never seen a Brompton on a toe mounted carrier, but surely that's the best solution for space/safety and ease of use?

49849618227_52937391e5_c_d.jpg
The Bromptons go in their bags, so little chance of grease going astray, luckily. There was some cause for concern laying the Brompton on the back seat in case we ended up on the roof. That is quite a solid lump, so I had been wondering how to secure it in place. However, I think @Mrklaw may be onto a winner. If I can fit the Brompton standing up behind the passenger seat I should be able to secure it by moving the seat back onto it. I’ll be giving it a try, today.
As for tow bar, that’s already taken up by the folding camper. Also the reason I’m avoiding roof mounted bike carriers, as not only do I think it would look silly (!!!) it would also further affect drag and therefore range, which will already be fairly seriously impacted by the trailer.

Reactions: gangzoom
I had never heard of a Brompton either - but why would I, I don't ride a bike and haven't done so for 50 years, all this fuss over getting a couple of bikes into a car - cant you just fit a rack on the back and put both bikes on it, or - hire a bike at your destination, or - do the really sensible thing, - buy a couple of EScooters, lob them in the boot, twist and go when you want them and fold up when you dont, and no red face from a bike ride - relaxing and chilled saving your energy for something worthwhile..

• Disagree
  • Funny
Reactions: Js1977 and Sparkeur
I had never heard of a Brompton either - but why would I, I don't ride a bike and haven't done so for 50 years, all this fuss over getting a couple of bikes into a car - cant you just fit a rack on the back and put both bikes on it, or - hire a bike at your destination, or - do the really sensible thing, - buy a couple of EScooters, lob them in the boot, twist and go when you want them and fold up when you dont, and no red face from a bike ride - relaxing and chilled saving your energy for something worthwhile..
The idea here is to take the bikes with us when we go on family camping trips. As for e-scooters, as fond as I am of them (I have one sitting in the loft since getting a ticking off from the boys in blue) they are currently illegal to use and I can’t risk 6 points on my licence.

Reactions: gangzoom
I don't ride a bike and haven't done so for 50 years..

You seem to be implying some how cars are 'better' than pedal bikes!!!:eek:

Forget 0-60 times, I haven't got the balls or skills (or local hills - thats my main excuse) to descend quite like this guy, but until you have been on a pedal bike pushing limits of grip with nothing to protect you but your birthday suite you honestly have no idea how 'fun' roads are, try doing that on a Brompton and I suspect your have enough of an adrenaline rush to last a life time and not care about the Plaid++++ Roadster 30.0 :).

Equally even if you aren't looking for an adrenaline rush, just covering stupid amounts of distances powered by nothing but your legs gets quite addictive. If you enjoy driving, 2 wheels bring you a different level of engagement with the road no car can get close.

8934189191_d3d1d0aebd_c_d.jpg

8934666382_9d8319cd12_c_d.jpg

Reactions: tm1v2
Blimey, when I read the thread title I did wonder ... thankfully it seems this is not a discussion about driving whilst under the influence!

"Brompton's mixture
noun Pharmacology: an analgesic mixture, usually containing morphine and cocaine and sometimes other narcotic substances in an alcohol solution, administered primarily to advanced cancer patients. Also called Brompton cocktail, Brompton's cocktail."

Two electric Bromptons fit easily in the trunk of our Model 3! We’ve been spending about 4 months a year traveling and staying in hotels. This year after a stint in Florida, where we really wished we had bicycles, we finally bought this pair from Portapedalbike in Phoenix. We’ve had them for two months now and wish we’d bought them when we bought the Tesla.

We are able to pack quite a bit of stuff around them when traveling so most of our stuff is in the trunk with just a few items in the back seat.

They stow easily out of the way in hotel rooms too. These things are great!
IMG_8202.jpeg