Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brooklyn NYS Inspection?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anybody have a recommendation for an inspection station in Brooklyn for NYS inspection? One where they know what they are doing with a Tesla? One where they aren't going to try and plug in to get an emissions readout? My understanding is that the service center in Red Hook doesn't do them. Does the Revel garage in Williamsburg do them?

And the standard charge has been $39 but I see people saying they are only being charged $10. Is that because it is a new car or because it is electric?

Also, has anybody found a touchless car wash yet? I see threads but nobody has come up with an answer except for detailing garages. I don't need it detailed, I just want a quick drive through or pull through wash. I've washed it by hand up until now but that was in warmer weather.

Reactions: 101dals
You should be able to go to any NYS certified inspection shop. Just call them and say you need annual safety inspection sticker for your Tesla. If they sound confused find another spot. Check out ultimate car wash under BQE. GL.

Reactions: 101dals
Thanks! Still find it strange that Tesla doesn't do it.
In order to be qualified/licensed to do the inspections by the state, one of the requirements is that you have to do it for any car that wants it. You can't inspect only EVs or only your own make of vehicles. So, for Tesla to offer it they would have to be able to inspect internal combustion engined vehicles (ICEVs) and that would be a huge problem for them. Many Tesla service centers are not allowed to do work on ICEVs because they got zoning/land use approval for the service centers for working on EVs only (i.e. for service centers that were placed in areas not zoned for automotive servicing due to the polution and hazardous materials associated with ICEV servicing). Tesla's centers don't have the ventilation systems to handle vehicle exhaust, they don't have the proper stuff to deal with spilled gasoline/diesel or motor oil, the building's fire suppression systems may not be configured to handle a gasoline fire, etc.

It's not just a matter of Tesla choosing not to do it.

In order to be qualified/licensed to do the inspections by the state, one of the requirements is that you have to do it for any car that wants it. You can't inspect only EVs or only your own make of vehicles. So, for Tesla to offer it they would have to be able to inspect internal combustion engined vehicles (ICEVs) and that would be a huge problem for them. Many Tesla service centers are not allowed to do work on ICEVs because they got zoning/land use approval for the service centers for working on EVs only (i.e. for service centers that were placed in areas not zoned for automotive servicing due to the polution and hazardous materials associated with ICEV servicing). Tesla's centers don't have the ventilation systems to handle vehicle exhaust, they don't have the proper stuff to deal with spilled gasoline/diesel or motor oil, the building's fire suppression systems may not be configured to handle a gasoline fire, etc.

It's not just a matter of Tesla choosing not to do it.
I actually just heard the same thing from the Tesla ranger a few days ago. He said that Tesla is allowed to perform the inspection on their new cars, but can't for the reasons that you just listed.

I just had it done. He gave it a quick once-over without putting it on the lift. With only 7000 miles on the car there is nothing to look at. And wow, I only put 7000 miles on the car in a year? It is our only car too. We just haven't gone anywhere I guess.

And yes, only $10.

You can take it to any inspection station, just be sure that they know what they are doing when putting it on a lift if they try. You can't just put the arms anywhere, there are designated spots. The car's bottom is also the battery and you don't want it lifted by those.

If you can, just get them to do a quick visual. Have them check tires on the ground. It is a new car, there is nothing to check really. And it will only cost $10.

I went to a Mobil on Coney Island Ave between Beverley and Cortelyou.

You can go to any NYS inspection station with the green sign. Don't let them charge you $39, it should only be $10 since you don't do the emissions part. All they do is check the tires and the brakes, if that. When I took mine in it was just a year old and they gave it a quick once over and that was it. I need another one coming up.