TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Brothers from another mother...

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by ummgood, Jul 7, 2017.

Tags:
  1. ummgood

ummgood Member

It just clicked in my head that my upcoming Model 3 and my current Tacoma are brothers from another mother. Or are they from the same mother but the father is different? This is a completely ridiculous post I realize but it was cool and dawned on me this morning that they are both from the same factory or "womb".

Anyway my Tacoma was made in the NUMMI factory where the Model S and X are made. The Model S/X are made on the old NUMMI truck line which is what spit out my current vehicle.

[​IMG]

• Like x 3
  2. Zaphod

Zaphod Galaxy President (former)

Interesting fact, didn't realize that. I just remember the NUMMI factory had built the Pontiac Vibe/Toyota Matrix.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  3. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

They also made the Corolla/Prism and the older Corolla/Nova.

• Informative x 1
  4. ummgood

ummgood Member

I always knew those two cars were made there and then I started listening to podcasts and I kept hearing there were two sections of the factory, one for trucks and one for cars. Tesla is apparently using the truck section for Model S and X and the car section is what is being used for the model 3. I knew my truck was made in the US and I had heard Fremont before with regards to the Tacoma (I knew the Tundra was made in S.A.). Then today on my way to work it was like a moment where the light bulb in my mind lit up and I realized that my truck could have been made in the NUMMI plant. Turns out after looking at the side it was. I guess before the Tacomas the Hilux that was sold in the US was also made there.

5. ummgood

ummgood Member

Photo bucket is ransoming photos so here is the image I posted earlier.

[​IMG]

• Informative x 1
    • Funny x 1
  6. MogWV

MogWV Member

The Model 3 will be my 3rd car manufactured there. My first car was a 1986 Chevy Nova, and my second was a 1993 Geo Prizm.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  7. ProphetM

ProphetM Member

Model 3 will also be my 3rd car manufactured there, only in my case it will be one from each version of the factory. My first car was a 1980 Chevy Impala station wagon, made during the factory's first life as GM's Fremont Assembly (1962-1982). Our current main car is a 2008 Toyota Matrix made during life #2 as NUMMI (1984-2010).

• Informative x 1
  8. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

Cool! I just went and looked at my Tacoma and it was built there too. Once we get my husbands CPO, all of our vehicles will have been built there