Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brought 2018 model 3 to Seoul. works minus slacker, lte, and navigation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
great threat, thanks for posting. So from your posts and others it looks like any service issues aren't even an issue of paying out cash, but that they will force you to ship back to the states for repair... sounds nuts that they won't even take cash to make the repair.

Few questions after reading the thread.

1). Have you asked local SC about a modem swap to see if you can get LTE?

2). Is the new super charging standard in Korea the normal US Tesla plug spec? Other thread posts seem to indicate this. Also from your post we are required to have a korean credit card and phone number.

3). Have you tried to confirm that the korean service center will not even work on cars for cash (aka not through warranty) and that only recourse is shipping car all the way back to states?

4). Do you get firmware updates if connected to wifi?

5). If you don't mind me asking, what was the ballpark cost of transferring a car to Korea the non military route not including shipping? To include inspection, registration and various fees? Considering doing it for my parents who will be moving back there and I want to gift them one of mine.

great threat, thanks for posting. So from your posts and others it looks like any service issues aren't even an issue of paying out cash, but that they will force you to ship back to the states for repair... sounds nuts that they won't even take cash to make the repair.
Not sure where I said that. Tesla service centers in korea are phenomenal. They charge far less for normal service and wear and tear stuff. Eg., I just replaced my 12v battery since it was like 3.5 years old. Everything including some other checkups was less than 100 bucks. I had a filter change that was a few bucks as well.

Warranty stuff in particular is more difficult but may be possible....

Few questions after reading the thread.

1). Have you asked local SC about a modem swap to see if you can get LTE?

2). Is the new super charging standard in Korea the normal US Tesla plug spec? Other thread posts seem to indicate this. Also from your post we are required to have a korean credit card and phone number.

3). Have you tried to confirm that the korean service center will not even work on cars for cash (aka not through warranty) and that only recourse is shipping car all the way back to states?

4). Do you get firmware updates if connected to wifi?

5). If you don't mind me asking, what was the ballpark cost of transferring a car to Korea the non military route not including shipping? To include inspection, registration and various fees? Considering doing it for my parents who will be moving back there and I want to gift them one of mine.
1] yes. It's possible but they don't do it often. You really need to speak Korean for this level of service interaction. Essentially if you buy an SK Sim card with an unlimited data sharing plan and activate it w/SK (provide the imei#) it will be an active Sim that you can give to your service center and they will replace your American Sim with that korean one. I spent many hours in discussions in this and now am waiting fora good deal on an unlimited data sharing plan

2)yes. Same car. Koreans literally had cars shipped from Fremont for like 4 years until Shanghai opened. Same car same specs same everything aside from the simcard and tmap on the touchscreen.

3) I repeat.... I never said this. Someone else griped about the warranty. I posted above that any service can be done. I'm still figuring out the warranty stuff. It's not a hard no on warranty service. Depends on the service center. As in most things in life there are hierarchies of competence. It may help if u speak Korean.

4) I get all updates. American ones. And although u didn't ask, autopilot and autopark still work. Car has EAP and only navigate on autopilot doesn't work from that suite of features

5) depends on your moving company.
Like 1000 to move the car w Pumyang. Then 6000 or so at customs. Then several thousand to register and insure the car. All in all in the first month of taking delivery of your used car you'll have to pay roughly 10k$ out of pocket. I try not to think about it. Very stressful.. was not necessarily the cost that was hard but the fact that korea makes you sign a lot of stupid papers and jump thru hoops. Make sure you have the title of the car and it's paid off. Also be ready for this absolutely stupid bank-bond buying ordeal when registering the car.

If u want an indepth guide maybe i could... arrange so₩ething

Reactions: NHK X
Oh man thanks so much for all the great info.

Good news is that both my wife and I speak Korean, will be an adventure for sure.

My X has the grandfathered free supercharging for life, it will be interesting to see if that still applies over in Korea.

Yeah and about the service stuff, sorry if I attributed to you. Looking back it was another guy, he seemed adamant that Tesla there won’t touch your vehicle for repairs, but possibly a language barrier? Great to hear your experience, and that so far for maintenance items that they have been accommodating and affordable.

1] yes. It's possible but they don't do it often. You really need to speak Korean for this level of service interaction. Essentially if you buy an SK Sim card with an unlimited data sharing plan and activate it w/SK (provide the imei#) it will be an active Sim that you can give to your service center and they will replace your American Sim with that korean one. I spent many hours in discussions in this and now am waiting fora good deal on an unlimited data sharing plan

2)yes. Same car. Koreans literally had cars shipped from Fremont for like 4 years until Shanghai opened. Same car same specs same everything aside from the simcard and tmap on the touchscreen.

3) I repeat.... I never said this. Someone else griped about the warranty. I posted above that any service can be done. I'm still figuring out the warranty stuff. It's not a hard no on warranty service. Depends on the service center. As in most things in life there are hierarchies of competence. It may help if u speak Korean.

4) I get all updates. American ones. And although u didn't ask, autopilot and autopark still work. Car has EAP and only navigate on autopilot doesn't work from that suite of features

5) depends on your moving company.
Like 1000 to move the car w Pumyang. Then 6000 or so at customs. Then several thousand to register and insure the car. All in all in the first month of taking delivery of your used car you'll have to pay roughly 10k$ out of pocket. I try not to think about it. Very stressful.. was not necessarily the cost that was hard but the fact that korea makes you sign a lot of stupid papers and jump thru hoops. Make sure you have the title of the car and it's paid off. Also be ready for this absolutely stupid bank-bond buying ordeal when registering the car.

If u want an indepth guide maybe i could... arrange so₩ething
Do you have to get a Korean sim for LTE? I notice I can’t check sentry mode on my car. I have a MYLR 21

The problem is that the navigation maps are separate from the maps that are displayed. They are stored locally and for your vehicle only includes NA. You would have to get Tesla to swap out the maps and change the configuration.
Just out of curiosity, if you happen to have a fsd wondering whether it works with the displayed maps without navigation support. Guess the fsd bought in the state perhaps wouldn't work even with a wifi router here in korea...

Following, I have an 2016 MX and considering bringing this car as we move back to spend more time with family.

Glad to hear that it's the same equivalent car they sold in Korea during the same time. The only issues would be maintaining unlimited supercharging and unlimited internet connectivity.

Tesla service centers in the US is horrible, encouraging to hear that the service in Korea is better. Not surprising.

Following, I have an 2016 MX and considering bringing this car as we move back to spend more time with family.

Glad to hear that it's the same equivalent car they sold in Korea during the same time. The only issues would be maintaining unlimited supercharging and unlimited internet connectivity.

Tesla service centers in the US is horrible, encouraging to hear that the service in Korea is better. Not surprising.
Not getting unlimited supercharging and data in korea is the way forward. Thanks for rubbing it in that you still have it lol!

Registration was a nightmare and normally I'm pretty good at dealing with bureaucracy. There's no English language help. I must be the only non military American who brought their m3 here...
Asking the question here because for some reason, the forum won't let me ask it on your July 5, 2022 post. I'm wondering how much the registration part cost you? Based on your July 5, 2022 post, looks like registration + insurance ran you about $3000. Was that mostly insurance or registration? If registration, are did they charge you an arm and a leg because it was an import? Do they charge you ridiculous registration fees on an ongoing basis as well? Also, what's the deal with this bank bond buying requirement?

Asking the question here because for some reason, the forum won't let me ask it on your July 5, 2022 post. I'm wondering how much the registration part cost you? Based on your July 5, 2022 post, looks like registration + insurance ran you about $3000. Was that mostly insurance or registration? If registration, are did they charge you an arm and a leg because it was an import? Do they charge you ridiculous registration fees on an ongoing basis as well? Also, what's the deal with this bank bond buying requirement?
fyi - asking because I'm looking to bring my tesla over to Korea as well within the next 1-2 months