Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Browser default language (UK)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi - have had my Tesla a couple of days now and beginning to explore it. One thing I noticed that was weird was that the browser home page default is in Spanish? If I navigate to UK pages (eg BBC news) then it displays in English, but the search is always in Spanish. This is a UK car, 3.5yrs old and picked up fresh from the Dartford service centre with the firmware version 2017.44 02fdc86. Can anyone (maybe UK members) help with setting the home page (Google search page) to English (UK)?

Thanks for your help.

That's not an issue with browser preferred language, but the fact that your traffic is put thru VPN and exists in Spain.
Given the UK's insane, north-korea-like anti-privacy and anti encryption/security/privacy laws and spying, it's not strange that Tesla passes it's traffic thru a VPN.

Until UK is better than china/north-korea or US when it comes to preventing/destroying privacy - you can use this link Google to make sure you don't get spanish results :)

.. that's hard to explain, can you see "https then ://www.google.com/webhp?pws=0&gl=uk&gws_rd=cr" in the browser ? - if yes, that's really strange.
If I VPN (by choice) to strange places in the world, that link works, pws=0 removes personalization, gl=uk should change geolocation to UK, gws_rd=cr is google-web-server redirect to country (in this case UK)
Thanks for that. I'll give it a go with the full url and let you know how I get on...

Hi Ande. That seems to have worked! Cheers.

Ps when I signed into my Google account had to go though additional security as the device sign on request was a) a new device and b) was located in Madrid!

Most likely the google preferences will still end up defaulting to Spanish at some point. This is actually due to Tesla having used Spanish origin 3G SIM cards in our UK cars, and an arrangement with google to read off SIM data and assign appropriate language preferences etc. I have the same problem/annoyance.
Can’t imagine why anyone would want to use the browser anyway. I don’t use it because it’s slow and awkward. That fact that it is slow, awkward, AND Spanish doesn’t really change much for me. Maybe if there was an upgrade to 4G or better at some future date, but then that would be the optimal point at which to fix the issue anyway; don’t upgrade with another Spanish SIM.

I have recently purchased a used S75D, mine seems to be dutch for searches. Why don't all us UK users submit a support enquiry from mytesla suggesting Tesla provide a solution to overcome? I have already done so, maybe if enough of us ask....